SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

In Defense of Knockout

Molineux
13 years ago

KNOCK OUT (Shrub, William J. Radler, 1997) seems to get a lot of bad press here on the Rose Forums. Well yesterday I had a Knock Out experience during the drive back from visiting my mother in Southeastern Virginia. It is a long drive, approx. four hours, and I had stopped at a rest-stop between Richmond and Washington Dc. Sure enough there were some Knock Outs. Now here we are in August and those healthy looking shrubs were literally covered with blooms. I could not help but be cheered up by the light red color and sheer abundance. It was a hot day and the sun warmed simple flowers were emitting a delightfully fresh fragrance. Now Knock Out is not known for its fragrance but yesterday the blooms were most definitely scented, both in-mass and individually. And of course not a speck of blackspot or disease. It sure is nice to see clean roses growing in the Mid-Atlantic.

I think the reason most rosarians look their nose down on Knock Out is because it so common, especially in public beautification projects. I blame the landscape designers and not the rose. It is sheer laziness on their part as even a little bit of research will reveal other options.

For example, at Brookside Gardens in Silver Spring, Maryland, there is a "Knockout Row" that is stunning. The roses are planted on the slope of a hill and graduate in hue from red to palest pink: basically DOUBLE KNOCK OUT, KNOCK OUT, PINK KNOCK OUT, BLUSHING KNOCK OUT, and RAINBOW KNOCK OUT. It is a really pretty sight. They also have planted next to the Knockouts other "landscape" roses like the Hybrid Rugosas FRU DAGMAR HASTRUP (pink, single) and HENRY HUDSON (white).

So donÂt put down the noble Knock Out and her close kin. They are a god send for landscapers and gardeners who want a carefree rose that actually looks and acts like a flowering shrub.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Patrick

Knock Out growing under a tree in partial shade at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Norfolk VA.

Comments (66)