SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37804168

Guess what? Suds don't mean excess detergent!

User
6 years ago

I've been researching detergents lately as my husband and I are expecting and plan to use cloth diapers. I watched some videos on youtube of moms using the likes of crunchy clean, rockin green, charlies soap and loads of other brands with similar ingredients. They would do loads of 30-60 diapers with a quick rinse, 1 tbsp or in some cases 1 tsp of detergent with a cold or warm setting. These women would then instruct their viewers not to use hot water because the PUL on the diapers would be destroyed ( ugh, so not true. I always washed mine on sanitize ) and that they couldn't be put in the dryer. Some even claimed cold water cleaned better with natural detergents and didn't require rinsing. After watching these videos, I started looking at the use of regular detergents on cloth diapers and came across this site called fluffloveuniversity.com It basically obliterated the detergents manufactured specifically for cloth diapers, like Charlie Banana and Crunchy Clean because they didn't even contain surfactants... just washing soda, baking soda and salt. There is a very comprehensive list of over 300 domestic and international detergents, their suitability for cloth diapering and why they are or are not recommended. Very insightful. As I continued to read, I found a link within their page that argues that suds are not a sign or excess detergent or detergent not being rinsed and I, for the moment, just can't accept that. Im interested to know what you all think.. especially you Mama!

http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/sourced-science/suds-and-bubbles/

Comments (8)