SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notthemarinebiologist

Zone 9b unhappy Yucca: leaf curl, no growth. Advice pls.

Art Vandelay
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted about my problems elsewhere and was kindly directed here, because apparently you guys know your stuff! I hope so, because my dear Yucca is in a bad way.

My Yucca has traditionally been an indoor plant. But I'm slowly acclimatising it to outdoors. It's been looking rather sullen, leaf curl, no growth. The leaf curl has become worse despite taking steps to hopefully improve it's situation. Photos can be seen below too.

After being advised to repot it, I did so. I believe it was root bound which eventually lead to root rot. It's now in a smaller clay pot, because I removed the dead and affected roots. I've used a combination of approximately: 60% cactus soil with peat, loam, clay, bark, pumice. 40% perlite. It's been placed outside when the sun is shinning for approx 2-3hrs, and then brought indoors again. I will increase the amount of time it's outdoors, slowly. I've only watered it minimally.

Sadly, my Yucca hasn't improved. The leaf curl has become worse. Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I shouldn't do? I'm wondering if the sun is what's making it worse (maybe I'm being counter-intuitive). Should I give it a booster like SuperThrive, or more water? What causes the leaf curl, so that I can look out for this problem in future before it becomes too late.

Now:

What the roots looked like, as I was cutting away the rotten roots, I have no idea what the white stuff was:

Thanks so much for reading and any advice you can offer. I don't want to see the end of my Yucca, it's been with me for many years. Thanks.

Comments (13)