SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Roses in a prolonged dry period

I wanted to comment on how my roses are doing in this dry year. The background is that over the last year we have gotten perhaps 10" of rain (I think that's a generous estimate, actually) instead of our usual 30"-40". Since the start of December perhaps 5". The last rain fell in early May, about five weeks ago; since then, not a drop. We had a chilly winter, but a warm early spring, and the last month temperatures have been above normal; the last week or two it has been hot, with highs in the nineties. This year of dry weather, however, was preceded by about four years of generous rains. The ground here is much of it clay; there are springs, and groundwater supplies water during the dry summers, since there's no year-round snowpack and certainly there are no glaciers. The landscape is still deeply green at this point, though some plants are showing signs of drought stress.

My roses that I'm concerned with here have all been in the ground at least four years; some are grafted and some are own root. They got watered their first year and after that got no water at all. There are once-blooming old roses, Teas, Hybrid Perpetuals, Hybrid Musks, Noisettes, Chinas. What I'm seeing is that, if the roses were doing well before the start of this dry weather, they're doing well now. They flowered well (though the blooms mostly fried quickly), and some of the repeat bloomers have embarked on a second flush. 'Jaune Desprez' has quite a good second flush, 'Mme. Antoine Mari', too, 'Louise Odier' has been in bloom for several weeks; there are scattered blooms on 'Rose de Rescht'; 'Sidonie' and 'Reine des Violettes' are flowering; R. moschata is in ongoing bloom. The Hybrid Musks, 'Cornelia', 'Vanity', 'Francesca', and 'Penelope' are finishing up a prolonged flush; I haven't deadheaded them or any other roses, because I really don't want to stimulate them into further growth. The roses may be repeating rather well partly because the first flush was so early. There's a lot of mildew, but that's usual in the summer.

What will happens if the drought continues, who knows, but so far the roses look happy enough. The soil is heavy, and they've been encouraged to root deeply by not being irrigated. They're grown organically, with no chemicals and with a permanent mulch of organic matter and annual plants like grasses.

Comments (12)