SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawc65

I like my bfs son but HATE my bf when his son is around.

mawc65
6 years ago

I have been dating my bf for 2 and a half years (we´ve been living together for 2). He has a 7 year old son who lives with his mother and is with us every monday and sunday. Hes a smart and sweet kid. Of course, like any other kid, he´s got some things (tanturms, some manipulative behaviour) that need some work on, but over all hes very nice. My problem is the fact that my BF never seems to want to discipline him (i dont mean anything harsh, just simply to tell him how things should be), he excuses all his behaviour with: "Hes just a kid!". So for example is the son kicks my constantly under the table and i ask him to please stop, my bf will turn to me and say "Hes just a kid!!" , or if his son starts asking me why i live in that house if im not part of their family and dont share their last name and i tell my bf to please talk to him about it, yup : "Hes just a kid," (and hell never talk to him about it...he actually leaves all the "tricky" questions to me). Also, he ALWAYS wants me around when hes with his son. When we started dating and my bf told me about how sundays and mondays are his days with his son i thought "perfect!", im quite an independent person and i honestly thought he was telling me that to be like "hey dont make plans with me on those two days". But no. He gets angry if i want to see my family or friends when the son is there, which i think its unfair because why should i have the same responsabilities towards the kid as his own father? I buy the kids food cause my bf never remembers, i cook the food, i clean his room, i spend more time with him most days (my bf will go watch tv in our room and leave his son playing alone practically all day).
So basically, the kid is alright, its my bf who i cant stand when his son is there. Its like he expects me to be the boys mother, although hes got a perfectly lovely mother who is great to him. The boy is never very touchy feely with me and its me my bf yells at demanding to know why i dont kiss or hug his son (im a divorce child so i know how awful it is to be forced to be affectionate towards your parents significant others when you dont want to be, so ive never forced him). Im just very scared cause all this means that thats how my bf is as a parent, and well...i hate it.
I just wanted to know....do i have a point? or am i crazy and exaggerating and this is all normal?

Comments (6)