SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

The weaving and the pendant

aprilneverends
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

("The pit and the pendulum":) Sorry I didn't know how else to call this thread)

OK, so several months ago I bought this vintage weaving(weaved by somebody in Spain as a gift to his/her friends, of which speaks the embroidered dedication on the back)

I bought it to go over the wall in the dining (because that's a wall where my chair is and I wanted something soft in case I, say, get too happy or something and hit my head on the wall while laughing).

So I looked and looked for weavings specifically and some were very pretty in terms of colors and all. But this one is actually a landscape and reminded me of our happy travels, more specifically, the honeymoon (St. Lucia. they have white sand..). I looked at it for a week or so(my rule of thumb) and finally decided to go for it.

The photo of the (very textural) weaving:

This thing is big -35 by 42 and actually quite heavy-almost 6 pounds. First I was looking for ages to find right brackets. Made progress only when I found out these are called "tapestry holders". Then I found them and ordered them and waited for 5 weeks since the shop was swamped with orders. Then I waited until DH would find some time.

Then at last it got on the wall.

And here the problem started.

It looks good from the entrance because you don't see it lol. You see only the pendant(also quite textural).

(The pendant:

It looks good from the living because you see it on the wall to your left, and the pendant in the center.

It looks good from the backyard, because you see it in front of you, and pendant to your right

It looks good when you sit at the table across of it because you see only the weaving.

In short it looks good unless you go to the kitchen and turn in such a way as to look straight at the dining room (it's a rather small space..u-shaped kitchen, open to the dining, and the dining is open to the living)

that's when you see the pendant and the weaving on the same line, and instead of one focal point, you get overload of texture. Colors are good together..it's just too much texture in one spot..and frankly, I love pendant, and kinda used to having it as the focal point. Here your eye just travels too much, and not in a good way.

It really bugs me. I'm not even asking whether it's okay-to me it's not.

(Even though I found out, by mere chance, that having a big bouquet of orange roses somehow balances it all out very nicely. But it's hard to have it available for every day:)

If it was just a painting that would bug me so-I'd take it down already.

But this thing was such a PITA to put up..and I feel so so bad to ask my husband to take it down..he will of course, I just feel bad about it. Also major touch ups etc. And if I ask to put it somewhere else that's again work(and I don't know where somewhere else might be..I kinda had other plans for other walls...my DD loves it a lot and wants it, but her room is a tad too small for it)

It was a big mistake not to predict how it will look from that point in the kitchen, and it was a big lesson in this sense.

What'd you do? would you do the right thing number one and still take it down? or would you do the right thing number two, leaving it where at is, not bothering your sweet family about your mistakes, and try not to to look at it while you stand in the kitchen?

(Sorry about not having all the pics of how it looks from different points..won't have my camera until tomorrow..just believe me for now-looks good, unless you go to the kitchen, turn around, face the dining, and stare:)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!