SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_ashley56

Help! Cucumber problem.

Heather Ashley
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm sorry ahead of time for the double picture. It wouldn't let me get rid of it. I am fairly new to gardening. I love it, but have always kind of given up and chalked my suckiness up to a brown thumb. This Spring we decided to put money into it and just do it! Trial and error is the best way of learning. Anyhow, my cucumbers were transplants from Lowes and are in a raised bed.
They have never done well. They were stunted in the beginning and then finally started growing and vining but now all the lower leaves are yellow and/or dying and upper leaves are small and still not a dark green. All of the cucumbers, even pollinated ones, get these black spots on them and then turn yellow. They go on to turn black and shrivel up. I have been hand pollinating so I'm fairly certain that's not the issue. I thought I was overwatering at first so I cut back, still making sure soil is moist. They haven't recovered. I've tried fertilizers (they now have a slow release fertilizer) and they flower beautifully but no fruit. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? I find leafhoppers on it from time to time and crush some of them (I know, sorry Mother Nature), but could they possibly do that much damage? Any ideas are appreciated.

Comments (2)