SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
selmaelias1

Zuri Decking

selmaelias1
10 years ago
Has anyone worked with or installed Zuri Decking, manufactured by Royal Building Products? It's a new product, and I can't find any reviews anywhere. I'd love any/all feedback.

Comments (99)

• mzieba
    4 years ago

Wondering if the people who installed Zuri and had the issues with regard to warping due to expansion installed the board using Camo Marksman Pro method. Really like the way the decking looks but after reading this thread I am on the fence. Can anyone who has had this decking for a while comment? Is there any other manufacturers that offer a product with similar detail? Thanks in advance!

• jodykla
    4 years ago

We went with tivadek instead and so far we are very pleased. The fasteners are hidden. No problems with sunscreen staining or rubber hose, mats and kiddie pool Markings. We are in cold Canada so we will see how it does in sub zero climate this winter.

• Related Discussions

zuri ??????

Q

Comments (2)
    I am interested to hear any information on Zuri, too. We just had a huge tree take out our entire red cedar deck during a major storm, and now we are going to replace the deck from the ground up. (Luckily our house proper was spared.) We live on the edge of the woods, and although I loved the look of the cedar, I didn't like the maintenance and quite frankly we didn't do a very good job at keeping it maintained. My husband wants to do everything uber low maintenance on the new deck (no staining or sealing!), where I have been leaning toward ipe decking with PVC railing. I think the composites look too plastic-y for our house/neighborhood. Then I saw a Zuri deck display and thought maybe this would be a PVC deck that I could live with. I understand that it has only been manufactured for the past 2 years, so I am concerned about lack of track record with the product. Does anyone have any experience, or other information? Thanks, DJ
    ...See More

Zuri Decking material?

Q

Comments (6)
    Just had Zuri deck (in walnut) with Radiancerail in black installed 2 weeks ago. So far...love it. It looks much more polished than most decks, in my opinion. Had a hard time finding a contractor with experience specifically in Zuri.....but it was worth the work. Just as a note, the previous deck (which was demolished by a fallen tree) was red cedar and we loved the look but not the maintenance.
    ...See More

Zuri decking design- HELP! What can I use for outdoor rug?

Q

Comments (7)
    Jan, I can't thank you enough for your response and thinking "outside the box"! We purchased the Zuri "low maintenance" decking because we have two other wood decks that do require some maintenance. I agree with you that all of the composite/no maintenance deck options seem to require SOME sort of challenge. In my opinion, the companies who sell these decks should include some sort of reference to furniture/décor that DOES WORK in the space! Photos on their websites help but ACTUAL users of the products and not just staged photos are what really helps the customer! I LOVE your idea of the canvas and had thought for a moment about using/making a duck canvas runner. Our deck space is 5x9 but the actual size of runner I would purchase/make would be 2' 8"x 7. The thought on this length would be that the length would fit 2 chairs and a 1 ft small table as well as some extra space to utilize as a "doormat". The furniture would hold down the canvas. I realize that it does sound ridiculous to spend all this $ on a beautiful deck then cover it up! The benefit of a canvas runner is that I could easily roll it up and hopefully wash it as needed. I do like your ideas of acrylic, painting, and pre primed fabric but due to the "what not to use on Zuri deck" I am hesitant to use anything that isn't "natural". Again I *sigh*. While we spent some $$ on the Zuri deck, here I am trying to "design on a dime" and DIY what I can for the deck. I plan on ordering 2 deck chairs from Ikea, make a 1' side table, and with your suggestion, try and make a canvas runner. I appreciate your feedback and thoughts:) Side note: I noticed you are from ROC-YAY! I am originally from Webster but now live in Baltimore. My parents still reside in Webster- "Where Life is Worth Living" Thx again!
    ...See More

Zuri Deck Pros & Cons

Q

Comments (1)
    See this discussion a lot of users shared how it has help up for them and uploaded pictures: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/zuri-decking-dsvw-vd~467366#n=48
    ...See More
  • Bill Woodruff
    4 years ago

I feel like I'm getting the runaround. Royal's customer service folks now owe a site inspection to help me get it right. But the deck now is a mess, with the 'ski tipping' issue and other mounting issues. Some photos attached. The contractor had training from a distributor before mounting, so I assume it was done right. Right now, I'm not a happy camper. We're in the San Francisco East Bay.

• Tad Hayashi
    4 years ago

Zuri Decking installed 2 years ago in Colorado. About 1 year after installation noticed discoloration (darkening) and reported it to Zuri representative who came out and took pictures and said she would get replacement authorization. Waited for winter to pass only to find out that there is a new representative and have to start process all over again. Discoloration appears to be sun related as shaded areas are the last to darken. Now, experiencing what appears to be cracking of top protective coating. Have sent numerous pictures, done heat gun test, all at the request of "Quality Control Department". Resent original invoices today and am told this is the last piece to the approval process. After reading feedback here, not sure if this is the right product for Colorado sun. Would love to hear updates, Jim....thanks.

• Andrea Byrne
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hmmm. Very interesting as we just bought a Zuri deck for our home. We went with weathered grey and white railings with black spindles. I am scared something will happen such as these stories however our installer has a 25 year warranty. We live in St. Louis. I wonder if some of these installs have been faulty because of the installer and not because of the product itself. Some say their area isnt familiar with the product which makes it hard to properly install something in my opinion. Has anyone put potted plants on the deck? Wondering what it would do to it and also what would you put on the bottom of the chair legs to keep from “scratching” anything? We were told you can powerwash zuri as well is that true or no? Has anyone tried?

• Bill Woodruff
    4 years ago

hope your house does not have windows near the deck.. apparently reflected sunlight onto the deck is excessive heat, and warps the boards. This product is not ready for prime time, but you've got it now.. Wish I never engaged.

• l d
    4 years ago

I just powerwashed my whole deck yesterday. We've had zuri for 4 years now, and its holding up just fine.

• Richard Goranson
    3 years ago

Which company did you use in Maryland for Zuri?

• l d
    3 years ago

I had a neighbor do it and got a salesman from Zuri to come watch and confirm that he knows how to do it so as not to void my warranty. You must hire a reliable deck builder who knows this material but not many do unfortunately. I would not recommend this guy because although he does great work, he is unreliable as to when he decides to do it.

• Shawna Salvo
    3 years ago

Anyone here live in Canada? i am looking at this for our deck and not sure if it will hold up with our weather here in Ontario. seems more negative then positive experiences. it's unfortunate if this is the case because it is the nicest looking composite/pvc decking by far.

• jodykla
    3 years ago

Hey shawna we live in Muskoka Ontario near Bracebridge.For a bunch of reasons we opted to NOT go for Zuri.We used Tivadek and so far (2 long and cold winters) and last years hot hot summer, it has been amazing.Not one board has moved or discoloured ... it looks as great as the day it was put down. We have 2 levels, one is a wrap around and many hundreds of feet of it with no complaints.While Zuri looks great when it's new, the photo finish on it reacts to suncreen, plastic (like a hose left on it or a children's pool) etc..

• jj z
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago
    • When I see the boards bowed up, that tells me they were not installed correctly. The instructions specifically say "fasten boards within ½" of the ends". That is an installer error not a decking problem. The problem with Zuri is that it requires the owner/builder to follow specific directions and some people aren't capable of that and then expect the warranty to cover it. Read the directions and follow the installation guide and you will be fine.
  • HU-359334420
    3 years ago

Installed Zuri deck in 2015. In 2018 it began to delaminate creating razor sharp shards. Company wouldn't honor 25 year warranty until our local supplier got involved then they refused to refund our full purchase price. A huge expense for us since we had to have it all ripped up before we could have a new non-Zuri deck installed. Suggest you avoid at any cost!

• BJ
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Okay, I'm going add my Zuri decking horror story to those above. I'm in Colorado. We put a Zuri deck in in the summer of 2018 The issues started with the fasteners. They did not work with our decking. The rep told my wife the contractor didn't know what he was doing, gave the line about the specialized nature of a Zuri install (e.g., see two posts above) and was generally fairly nasty and belittling. My wife not being a shrinking violet, however, pursued this matter vigorously over the course of numerous phone calls. Then the rep suggested that we had the wrong generation of Zuri Clip. They sent us the newer generation clip (we live 250 miles from where we bought the materials). The clips were basically the same and equally non-functional.

The Zuri rep continued the blame game until my wife arranged a meeting with the rep and the supplier who sold them to us, she laid some pieces and fasteners on the table, and said "show me how to make these work". They could NOT. The supplier demanded that we be refunded and the Zuri rep wrote us a check on the spot for roughly $6,000. I think this was 80% of the cost of the materials and we kept the materials. I think this was a fair arrangement but it was painful to attain. We figured out how to modify the Zuri clips to make them work. How a manufactured product could fail to work with its fastener still escapes me.

The product itself looks good but that's where the positives end. The chief issue with Zuri in our environment is that it is flat out dangerous in the winter. It is EXTREMELY slippery when it has snow or frost on it, to the point that the deck is not practically usable as is. Our problem is that we created boardwalks with Zuri to both of the back doors, so we need to tiptoe across the Zuri skating rink when we want to use those doors. Last winter we solved the slippery problem by putting outdoor rugs down. That worked great, until spring when we lifted them to reveal areas of milky discoloration that others described. Oops, didn't read about that defect in time.... We are not sure what to do this winter, we are thinking of screwing down perforated plywood and covering that with outdoor rugs. It is ridiculous. And yes, some boards warped and Zuri gets really hot, etc, just like others have noted. Don't be beguiled by Zuri's pretty face! It's bad news.

• HU-408160542
    3 years ago

Regarding the milky discoloration the Zuri people will tell you can remove it with a heat gun or hair dryer. Beware! You will solve one problem and create another. Yes, the heat will make the milkiness go away. However, it also melts the fine rippled texture of the surface and on sunny days when you and the light are positioned correctly you will see shiny spots where the milkiness was - it will look like little spots of "black" ice. Unfortunately, the supplier I bought this from was absolutely no help. If there ever is a class action law suit against Zuri (Royal Products) count me in! (PS, we had the same fastener run around).

• PRO
    Debra Kling Colour Consultant
    3 years ago

Just thought I’d add in our positive experience in the Northeast. Deck was installed by our very good contractor with supervision from a Zuri rep who came out at the beginning of the project. I believe we are going on year 5 or 6 and the deck still looks beautiful. We do maintain it by cleaning with a mild detergent and some bleach to eradicate mildew which has formed over the winter. We follow care instructions and try to avoid walking on it with rubber soles when it is very hot outside. We have a grill on the deck— greasy stains from grilling scrub off easily. Even a very high-end builder-friend we had over for an outdoor meal during Covid remarked upon it and was favorably impressed. So far, so good.

• HU-359334420
    3 years ago

Terrible experience with this product. Had to fight to get the company to honor their warranty when wide spread delamination began the first year. Will blister your feet it gets so hot- super dangerous with kids. Big uncovered expense to get it ripped up and disposed of. Very expensive trash product - avoid at all costs or you’ll be very sorry.

• HU-3819968
    2 years ago

Am not one to post comments but feel compelled as a public service to post this one. Product is HORRIBLE. Looks great but (even as contractor was installing) sheet of ice forms when temp. dips below freezing. Now it's Spring and we've had rain---TREACHEROUS ! As soon as it rains or morning dew settles, it's unusable. My contractor (who installed) is trying to avoid issue. Zuri decking is the worst purchase of my life. Be Warned !!!

• valeriecourville
    2 years ago

So far, so good in Montreal, Canada. The pecan colour deck is exposed to sun during all the day. I install the deck by myself with a rep visit to my house. I’m meticulous and it was time consuming, but people always impress by the product, even after 2 winter. No horror stories on my side, just a beautiful patio. But this product need to be installed carefully. If you pay someone to do it, be willing to pay for respecting all the procureure installation.

• User
    2 years ago

Here is our Zuri deck it is fantastic after 4 years in Ontario Canada with very harsh winters. The installation is extremely important as it need air flow to help release the heat Our builder researched this and the zuri rep came to inspect it. We have had no issues we would use it again.

• Shawna Salvo
    2 years ago

thank you for sharing! i have a sample of the same colour and love it.

• Christine Sweeney
    2 years ago

Wow! And here my husband and I were thinking of purchasing before I got on this board. Does ANYONE have any positives??

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

there are several positive reviews here.

this decking looks really beautiful. I've never heard of it before!

• Lisa Johnson
    2 years ago

I love ours. I’m in Virginia and it’s under a covered porch. Not a single complaint. Going on 3 years. Visitors think it’s wood.

• rhbfarms
    2 years ago

5-6 yrs old... started last year also seeing splitting of the lamanent top
    They will not pay to replace . They only pay back for material.
    What a shame, it was so nice for 4 years!

• fjdavies3
    2 years ago

Have a Zuri front porch here on Maine coast. Much of it covered by roof.

Good - looks great, no tipping or discoloration so far.

Bad - it is deadly with any frost. Not rain, snow or ice. Invisible frost. My wife has had her legs fly out from underneath her twice on the front steps while holding to the handrail. Just happened again yesterday. Early November, 50 degree days, but low 30s overnight. She is bruised knee to lower back.

• User
    2 years ago

ugh, that's awful. it wouldn't be pretty, but maybe you need to add some of that stair grip tape.

• HU-359334420
    2 years ago

Deadly in summer too. scorching hot will blister your bare feet and cannot stand on it with wet feet or moisture - like walking on ice. horrible decking.

• rhbfarms
    2 years ago

Have not replaced the decking yet , sent in pictures last year and now a year later see how its falling apart.

• Shawna Salvo
    2 years ago

@rhbfarms what state or province do you live in? i have been trying to determine if this decking with hold up to Canadian weather. It is definitely the nicest looking decking & disappointing to see these images at i had my heart set on this brand.

• PRO
    EMW Architecture
    2 years ago

I live near Denver Colorado. We get huge temperature swings during the winter. My deck is on the south side of my house, uncovered, with full sun exposure. My old cedar deck was dried out, warped, splintered, frayed and had screw pops. I was afraid to walk barefoot on it. I wanted a deck that would look great, last forever, and be a barefoot deck, even in the summer sun. I went with Zuri because of the look, the concealed fasteners, the fact that they make up to 18' long boards so I didn't have any butt joints. I also liked the recycled sustainable material and the claim that it doesn't get as hot, splinter, warp or dry out like wood does. Not all those claims were true in my case.

It was a very expensive project. First, I had to rebuild the structure of my old deck because Zuri requires 12" o.c. joist spacing instead of 16" o.c. (which is standard for a wood deck built with 2x wood deck boards). Also the joists had to be raised up a bit to match the level of the old deck (to match door thresholds, etc) because the Zuri boards are thinner than 2x wood decking (probably why Zuri warps easily). I tried Zuri hoping for a forever deck. Not sure if it will be that, as I've read many reviews with complaints about it being too hot, slippery when wet, and excessive warping over time. Mine does get too hot to walk on barefood in the heat of the summer in the middle of the day. It is a bit slippery, but no one has fallen (yet). I don't have little kids running on it. It is starting to warp in places after 3 years. Not sure if it's because the structure underneath was not perfectly level or the long boards warped. It is very pretty. It looks like teak. I get lots of compliments. I love that there are no screws holding the boards to the joists. Concealed fasteners give it a very clean look.

If you decide to go with Zuri, make sure you have an authorized installer, and have the rep come out to make sure it is installed correctly. The structure underneath needs to be perfectly level. Get a good warranty! I suggest you also get a bid on an Ipe (or mahogany or teak) wood deck, as it may actually be comparable price wise. My neighbor has an ipe wood deck that looks amazing after 20+ years.

I can't unconditionally recommend Zuri, but it's definately the best looking synthetic deck out there. I think if they made their product thicker (to match 2x wood thickness) it might not warp as much and could be a cleaner retrofit over an existing deck structure. Hope this helps.

• kendralee
    2 years ago

THE WORST PRODUCT EVER!!! How can this still be on the market? We built a home in coastal South Carolina in 2018, and thought we had done our due diligence with decking. The product is nice looking when it goes down, but BEWARE, after three years our decks are delaminating, and I mean delaminating. We have a large elevated pool deck, upper deck, and three stairwells that need replacing. Our builder is currently battling the Zuri rep. I have been told Zuri has offered some customers money back for the amount they paid for the product. Unlike Trex or Durawood, Zuri has a thin laminent finish that literally comes off in sheets. The delaminating is worse in uncovered areas. As others have mentioned above, it is very slippery when wet and when frozen is similar to black ice, you cannot detect by looking that it is slick. It rarely freezes here and both my husband and I have wiped out on this product during winter. We had an extended family get together in 2018 and had to lay beach towels down everywhere because of the slickness. I now have several outdoor rugs for this and the heat. Most quality builders in our area now only use Ipe wood. I rarely review products, but in this instance felt compelled. Do yourself a favor and RUN, don’t walk from this product!! If anyone has updated information with this or dealing with Zuri please let me know.

• kendralee
    2 years ago

Here are a few photos of some pieces that have delaminated.

• dphilipps
    2 years ago

I don't have any images, but we are two years into our Zuri deck and fingers crossed, so far, so good. We even used some of the 20' boards and have not experienced any warping. The deck is on 16" joists with no sagging issues. I installed the deck myself with the groove and hidden clip fastening system (not camo). I am just an average DIY guy and this was my first deck. I tried to follow the instructions as closely as I could, but you definitely need to read the install materials. Any butt joint should have a 2x6 support on each side of the joist so you have plenty of room to secure the board (this should avoid the ski tips). You have to double up the rim joist for the outer boards. My only regret is that I used 3/4 cedar for the facia, and would have used a 3/4 composite material if I did it again. I feel like if that cedar fails, the entire outside of the deck could be compromised. We actually need to redo our other deck, and I'm super hesitant after all of these horror stories. We've been good so far, but keeping a close eye on it. In Seattle, WA area.

• Tricia Tanoury
    last year

I put in Zuri decking mid 2018. I recently filed a warranty claim. All of my boards are compromised in some way. They've offered to pay for my boards but not for any labor involved with removing the old boards and installing new ones. They pointed out the two-year warranty. The product itself didn't start showing any significant problems until after the two years. I installed around 2,500 linear feet of decking and the labor costs for removal and replacement will be much greater than the cost of the material. Do you know of any class action suits against Royal Building Products?

• HU-518908808
    last year

I am in coastal NJ and used Zuri throughout my yard and aroubd the pool . it is super hot and slippery in the cold but i also have warping everywhere and skiing on the edges. in addition delaminating is occuring everywhere. it will be a huge expense to replace . i would like to look into a class action against Royal . my email boken973@gmail.com

• HU-359334420
    last year

We had the same situation. the delamination creayed razor like shards. Through the intervention of our local building supply whete we bought it through, we we finally able to get a refund. it was a fraction of the demo and rebuild cost. we had to wait several years to save up the money for it. a horror story. If there is a class action, we’re in. Please let us know. Are they still peddling this junk? It was super expensive.

• HU-435628147
    last year

Do not buy this garbage. Here's what ours looks like after 4 short years.

• Nicolas Metts
    last year

Our deck was installed in 2017 and delamination is occurring everywhere. It looks horrible (just like the picture in the comment above)! But their customer service has been even worse. It literally took months just to get a response, and then several other months to get them to offer to replace the product. There are no distributors in Colorado who even carry Zuri anymore, so our only option for compensation is a refund. But they're offering materials only and the settlement agreement they want us to sign is a nightmare. I met with a consumer affairs attorney and was advised not to sign the agreement as it was written. One section was particularly alarming, as it exposes us to unlimited liability for the actions that a third-party could potentially take against Westlake Royal Building Products. We have not signed this agreement and given the multitude of stories just like ours, I think a class action lawsuit is in order. By this point they know this is a defective product and are still selling it at premium prices with a meaningless 25-year warranty. As far as I am concerned, they are being intentionally deceptive in their advertising and are knowingly selling a product with multiple defects because they know they won't actually have to shell out any money unless the customer is extremely persistent in filing a warranty claim.

• Rebecca Nowak
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do NOT use Zuri. We made the mistake so you don't have to. Here's what it looks like after ONLY 5 YEARS (and we followed all of their care instructions meticulously)! Furthermore, Westlake Royal Building Products' Customer Service is awful and we were ripped off by their "25-year warranty." Look up forums about it if you don't believe me. We were duped by their supposed "premium" product, but the wood siding on our deck has outlasted Zuri!!!

• HU-263060700
    last year

Our 5 year old decking is chipping in several spots. Crossing my fingers about Company response. Not optimistic after reading these comments. Kevin O'Bryan Brewster Ma

• HU-901206634
    last year

WE REPLACED OUR DECK IN THE FALL OF 2021 WITH ZURI DECKING. WE USED CHESTNUT COLOR, WITH WALNUT TRIM. LOOKS GREAT. HOWEVER, OVER THE WINTER OF 2021-2022 THERE WERE SEVERAL ZURI BOARDS WHICH LOST THE TEXTURE (ANTI-SLIP?), AND TURNED THE APPEARANCE FROM THE TEXTURED APPEARANCE TO SHINY (AND ULTRA SMOOTH). WE FILED A CLAIM WITH ZURI, HOWEVER, AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS WE ARE STILL NOWHERE. MARK Z, ADA, MICHIGAN

• Michael Sinnwell
    last year

Well it looks like I can be added to the list of unhappy customers. Zuri decking installed in august of 2017. Had their rep oversee the installation. Last year I started to see small clear spots on top of the decking. Looked almost like water spot. Over the past year it has gotten completely worse. It appears the lamination is coming off the composite material. I would compare it to the clear coat coming off an automobile. We have a rug under a table and it is obvious that where the rug is there is no damage. So it is weather related and not something we did to cause the damage.

Zuri is non responsive and stales, defers to another person etc etc. Never get answer from them. So far local companies stopped carrying their Zuri products and say the can do nothing as it is a manufacturers warranty. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Time for a lawsuit. ???

• Tammy
    last year

We had the same issue with our Zuri decking. After 2 years from the installation date they will only pay for materials (( only what you initially paid for it, not present day pricing) and no labor costs. The price of decking has almost doubled and contrctor prices are very high as well. After several heated conversations following the filing of my claim, they paid for the materials- not at present day pricing, but, of course we have to pay for their defective product to be replaced.

• HU-901206634
    last year

Our Zuri decking lost its satin finish less than 6 months after installation (it did not warp, or cup, just lost the texture, and became shiny in an area). If this is what happens in less than a year, how can we ever have any confidence that this is going to recur? We filed a claim, however, Zuri claims that low E glass reflection was the cause, and that is not covered by warranty (about 4 months after we filed a claim). Is there ever going to be a deck installation where there is no low E glass near the decking? Seriously???????????????????

• Tammy
    last year

This decking needs to be off the market and the company needs to be held accountable. Has anyone checked the current price of this decking? The price is outrageous for this horribly inferior product. If there is a class action law suit, I am all in. see my above pictures. That part of our deck was built in 2018 and then we built another part of our deck in 2020 using Zuri ( the 2018 deck was fine at that time). Now the 2020 deck is starting to also deteriorate and I have begun the claim process for a second time. As mentioned in my previous comment, they did pay for the 2018 materials, but no labor cost.

• HU-914845403
    11 months ago

I had zuri decking installed about 3 years ago over the last couple of months the half of the deck that isnt covered has white spots coming through. its walnut in color so it looks bad.i filed a claim and they will replace the boards but not labor to install. it has a 25 year warranty so thats upsetting.

my contractor told me its a known problem with certain batches of the product.

• Tammy
    11 months ago

It is totally frutrating! As stated in my previous comment, I am in the middle of a second claim and they are saying that it was installed incorrectly and the contractor’s fault that it is now warping. My deck started with the spots and got progressively worse. We have alot of money in the first deck and having to rebuild it is really ridiculous since prices for decking and contractors have nearly doubled. Certainly will not replace it with Zuri decking!!

• Lynda Kallay
    10 months ago

While our deck is beautiful to look at I regret using Zuri decking. It is extremely slippery when it is wet. I would get a rug for it but the rug if it contains certain types of synthetic materials it causes discoloration. if I had to do it over again I would not have gone with Zuri. It is beautiful but impractical. Yes I have contacted them. I asked for recommendations on rugs and they just commented we have to use something with all natural materials which is very hard to find in an outdoor rug. I asked for examples and they would not send any. I also complained multiple times about how slippery the deck is and they were no help at all on that subject.

• Michael Kahn
    8 months ago

Do not use this product. Ive had it five years and it is discolored, warping, and the laminate is splitting i live in suburban Chicago. i am stuck with a deck that is literally falling apart. installation and maintenance was and has been done as per the company’s recommendation.