GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
selmaelias1

Zuri Decking

selmaelias1
8 years ago
Has anyone worked with or installed Zuri Decking, manufactured by Royal Building Products? It's a new product, and I can't find any reviews anywhere. I'd love any/all feedback.

Comments (70)

• hercules6312471
    4 years ago

Does anyone know if Zuri gets really hot in the sun? I have heard it gets too hot to walk on without shoes.

• selmaelias1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is true. You need to have something on your feet during peak sun hours.

• Related Discussions

zuri ??????

Q

Comments (2)
    I am interested to hear any information on Zuri, too. We just had a huge tree take out our entire red cedar deck during a major storm, and now we are going to replace the deck from the ground up. (Luckily our house proper was spared.) We live on the edge of the woods, and although I loved the look of the cedar, I didn't like the maintenance and quite frankly we didn't do a very good job at keeping it maintained. My husband wants to do everything uber low maintenance on the new deck (no staining or sealing!), where I have been leaning toward ipe decking with PVC railing. I think the composites look too plastic-y for our house/neighborhood. Then I saw a Zuri deck display and thought maybe this would be a PVC deck that I could live with. I understand that it has only been manufactured for the past 2 years, so I am concerned about lack of track record with the product. Does anyone have any experience, or other information? Thanks, DJ
    ...See More

Zuri Decking material?

Q

Comments (6)
    Just had Zuri deck (in walnut) with Radiancerail in black installed 2 weeks ago. So far...love it. It looks much more polished than most decks, in my opinion. Had a hard time finding a contractor with experience specifically in Zuri.....but it was worth the work. Just as a note, the previous deck (which was demolished by a fallen tree) was red cedar and we loved the look but not the maintenance.
    ...See More

Zuri decking design- HELP! What can I use for outdoor rug?

Q

Comments (7)
    Jan, I can't thank you enough for your response and thinking "outside the box"! We purchased the Zuri "low maintenance" decking because we have two other wood decks that do require some maintenance. I agree with you that all of the composite/no maintenance deck options seem to require SOME sort of challenge. In my opinion, the companies who sell these decks should include some sort of reference to furniture/décor that DOES WORK in the space! Photos on their websites help but ACTUAL users of the products and not just staged photos are what really helps the customer! I LOVE your idea of the canvas and had thought for a moment about using/making a duck canvas runner. Our deck space is 5x9 but the actual size of runner I would purchase/make would be 2' 8"x 7. The thought on this length would be that the length would fit 2 chairs and a 1 ft small table as well as some extra space to utilize as a "doormat". The furniture would hold down the canvas. I realize that it does sound ridiculous to spend all this $ on a beautiful deck then cover it up! The benefit of a canvas runner is that I could easily roll it up and hopefully wash it as needed. I do like your ideas of acrylic, painting, and pre primed fabric but due to the "what not to use on Zuri deck" I am hesitant to use anything that isn't "natural". Again I *sigh*. While we spent some $$ on the Zuri deck, here I am trying to "design on a dime" and DIY what I can for the deck. I plan on ordering 2 deck chairs from Ikea, make a 1' side table, and with your suggestion, try and make a canvas runner. I appreciate your feedback and thoughts:) Side note: I noticed you are from ROC-YAY! I am originally from Webster but now live in Baltimore. My parents still reside in Webster- "Where Life is Worth Living" Thx again!
    ...See More

Zuri Deck Pros & Cons

Q

Comments (1)
    See this discussion a lot of users shared how it has help up for them and uploaded pictures: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/zuri-decking-dsvw-vd~467366#n=48
    ...See More
  • Monica Cotton
    4 years ago

Overall we are very pleased with our Zuri deck. It looks beautiful and has not faded in the two years since we installed it. It does get very slippery with a layer of frost on it, but we don't really go out that way, so it can be avoided. Also it is around a pool and it also gets slippery when wet & too hot in the summer sun without wearing flip flops. Virgin PVC does expand & contract more than other materials with changing temperatures, but no material is without issues. Overall, we are pretty happy with the end result

• Nancy McAuliffe
    4 years ago

Is it okay to put cotton carpets on this zuri product?

• selmaelias1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was told by the distributor you should avoid rubber (e.g. mats, kid pools, etc.). I believe cotton is fine, but call them directly if you're concerned. I had an indoor/outdoor rug on it one summer, with no issues.

• Ellen Berger
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Has anybody used the chestnut color or the walnut zuri? I would like your comments . What color railings have you used with these colors?

• riverstwo
    4 years ago

Use the chestnut for the floor as it won't show footprints and stays cooler. Use the walnut on the outside perimeter to picture frame the deck. Everyone loves these two colors together. I used regular wood for the railing and stained them and put in burgundy bars.

• Jeff Hamel
    4 years ago

I live in the Northeast. In my opinion I would never recommend or install this product. 1) Hard to clean, water builds up and evaporates leaving dirt on the deck. 2) constant hazing, across whole deck. 3) slippery when wet is an understatement 4) when it gets cold in the winter, a layer of ice forms on the decking making it more slippery than when wet 5) very hot to the touch in the summer sun. this surface only looks really good when wet...otherwise it has a haze. I have followed the manufacturers directions for cleaning - no help. This product should not be used. I'm stuck with it because of the cost to replace.

• jodykla
    3 years ago
    Hi. It’s been a year since your last posting. We are about to make a final decision on Duri decking. Can you please let me know how it lasted one more winter? Thanks.
  • l d
    3 years ago

Still getting wonderful comments on the chestnut color with the walnut picture frame. People keep asking if its real wood. It cleans up so easily and i do not have a haze. The decking is extremely slippery when ice forms in winter. We put an indoor/outdoor carpet runner from door to steps to prevent slipping.

• jodykla
    3 years ago
    Thanks for the quick reply. We are going to check it out in more detail later today!
  • PRO
    EMW Architecture
    3 years ago

Has anyone used this product in Colorado or in the West? Specifically in climates with baking sun. Has anyone used this as siding? They have a photo of a modern home with what looks like Zuri siding. I'm considering this for my decks and siding (I only have a bit of wood siding. Mostly a stucco house). Zuri looks gorgeous, and my cedar siding is a maintenance nightmare out here. Cracking, warping, drastic color changes. I'm hoping Zuri cost will outweigh the replacement, yearly staining, and maintenance of cedar. I'm not worried about the slip factor. My smooth cedar deck is slippery when wet too. So many positive reviews, and couple bad reviews. I wonder what went wrong in those cases?

• Len M
    2 years ago

I too am interested to hear anyone's reviews out in the Colorado area. Saw the decking for the 1st time at the Deck Superstore and it is stunning! I have heard from a couple of installers here though that it isn't the best for our drastic temperature changes. I am so glad to hear that so many of you on the East Coast ha had such success with the product and truly appreciate all the photos and information shared. I sure hope someone chimes in on this post from the West coast. :)

Thanks all!

• nad02
    2 years ago

We are interested in using the Zuri decking product on our deck. Unfortunately, the decking contractors in our area are not familiar with this product. Can anyone recommend a Zuri decking contractor who services the Northern Virginia area? According to a Zuri product distributor, installation of this product is more involved based on how the boards are constructed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• looking4ideas1
    2 years ago

we installed this in Colorado and it did not go well. The boards consistently shrunk but never expanded back. Had a ton of sagging and the ends were popping up (ski tipping) almost the thickness of the boards. Very technical when it comes to installation and if you don't follow by the book, there will be no warranty. I do not recommend in Colorado and the western states, save yourself the headache and stay away, PVC decking will fail.

• Len M
    2 years ago
    looking4ideas1 - Thank you so much for your input. I ended up going to a number of decking stores here in the Denver area to ask about the Zuri product and everywhere I went they spoke negatively about it...specifically the expansion and contraction issues. I had to believe them because it was the most expensive product in every store beside ipe and they still didn't want to sell it to me. I am so sorry you're dealing with those issues. I hope somehow it works out. Thanks again.
    Len
  • nad02
    2 years ago

If it's any consolation, we used another composite decking board a few years ago and have the same sagging and popping up issues. On one section of our deck the boards are pecking as if they were a draw bridge making way for a ship passage underneath! So, we were looking into Zuri, as it supposedly is a top ranked product. We were also aware of the technical difficulties installing the product, if not installed correctly. Therefore, we were looking for contractor recommendations servicing the Northern Virginia area. Contractors who were experienced with the product and its installation. Otherwise, you're absolutely correct...it will be another major headache. Thanks for your input.

• Lisa Droste Satawa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Has anyone used Zuri in Florida? We are considering having it installed in Key.West and wondering about how it would hold up in the sun. Or opinions on Zuri versus Trek. Thank you!

• selmaelias1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This product gets extremely hot in the sun. You would definitely have to have something on your feet during peak sun hours. I live in NH, so I can't speak to how Florida's strong sun would affect the color of the decking. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• Lisa Johnson
    2 years ago

Living in Northern Virginia....we just installed this decking on a screened in porch with a roof. The joists are 16oc, and I hope that means that there won’t be any warping. Maybe the protection of a roof will help? Such mixed reviews.... it looks beautiful on day 2. My contractor is concerned that the “wood” is printed on the board and could peel up. Really seriously expensive. Yikes. Fingers crossed.

• l d
    2 years ago

3rd year, going strong, no peeling

• Lisa Johnson
    2 years ago

Great to know. Thanks!

• selmaelias1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

year 5, no peeling.

• HU-990986284
    2 years ago

Thanks for all the great reviews. I have a 20 year old wood deck and have been looking for that "perfect" composite. Thought I had found it with Zuri. Picked up a few samples of various colors from the local lumber yard. Very surprised by how easy it scratched. Also, our deck gets full sun all morning - not sure I like the idea of how hot it gets. Going back to tried and true decking lumber. BTW- the video showing the contractor and show host with the nail test - is it my imagination or was he trying to scratch it with the head of the nail? if so, very mis-leading

• Charles MacKarvich
    2 years ago

I purchased Zuri decking for my dock less than two years ago. After approximately 14 months, many of the decking boards started turning dark in color. The factory representative advised that there was a qua;lite control issue on a batch and recommended that the Zuri decking boards be replaced . After over eight months of back and forth with the factory rep, referrals to the warrwanty manager as well as a conversation with the warranty department, there has been no resolution. Recently, I noticrd where some of the deck boards are starting to de laminate. I am now considering filing a legal action to get all of the Zuri decking removed and replaced unless I receive an acceptable resolution to my problem.

• HU-454423434
    2 years ago

We installed a zuri deck 3 years ago and it has been trouble ever since. The material contracts and expands which causes the boards to buckle. The force is such that it ultimately snaps the zuri fasteners. We have had several Reps to our house they have confirmed the construction was to spec. They idid give us a refund on the boar that were up two years ago but now that ignore us since Beverly Campbell left the company. We finally just gave up and had a contractor screw it down the old fashion way. We hope that this will help the problem although it is less visual pleasing. Best advice look for a different product.

• HU-408160542
    2 years ago

I wish we had never seen Zuri decking. While it may look beautiful in the showroom and in pictures it is a nightmare. Our contractor, who had been recommended by the supply store, had no experience with this and he had to install it pretty much three times (see above comments from HU-45..). The company was no help. The surface got "scratched" in the process - the bottom of the boards will leave a white sort of scratch on the surface if it comes in contact - extremely difficult and time consuming to remove. You can't put anything with a plastic bottom on it or it will end up with a milky stain (a mat was left on it for a few days and now there is a rectangular area with the milky look). Boards have been popping up and again, like the above review, we had to resort to drilling holes and screwing them down. My reccemndation is to avoid this product and, if you must go with it, ask the contractor to give you references for Zuri decks that they have installed and go see them. We have had it for two years and will replace it as soon as we can.

• PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    2 years ago

We have been supplying homeowners with decking for nearly 30 years. We have decided against stocking any composite or man made decking since we have been in business. Currently we have not found a "perfect composite or vinyl" product that will meet the expectations our customers want. The only decking products we carry for now is hardwoods such as Ipe, Cumaru, Garapa, Tigerwood and Massaranduba. These are durable South American hardwoods that have been proven to last up to 75 years on commercial applications such as The Coney Island Boardwalk and many others. What everyone needs to understand is there is no such thing as "No Maintenance" you don't have maintenance free kitchen countertops or floors so don't expect the deck on the exterior of your home which sees harsh conditions to be no maintenance. Most people are drawn to composites because they think they are going to be no maintenance. Every man made decking product requires quite a bit of maintenance if you read the manufacturers maintenance instructions. Some of these require more maintenance than traditional pressure treated wood decking in our opinion as they have you pressure washing your deck on a regular basis with bleach cleaners to keep pollen, dust and etc from turning into mold growing on your deck. Failure to prove you did all this maintenance can void your warranty. Until we find a product that meets our customers expectations we will not sell it. The hardwood decking requires very little maintenance a light power washing if you have any dirt or debris on the deck and then applying a UV oil to the wood to keep it's color (it's sunscreen for the wood). This oil will not peel off or flake like traditional wood deck maintenance. You simple roll on more once it needs it. Some home owners can do it every 2 years it depends on how much sun your deck gets. The process usually takes 20 minutes depending on how big your deck is of course. Here's a picture of a Cumaru deck one of our customers built himself. Hope that helps we do offer free samples if anyone is interested we will ship them to your home for free.

• Jim Donegan
    2 years ago

I am looking for other people with Zuri failure stories. Our deck is 12 months old and we have 20 feet of discolored boards from direct sunlight here in Colorado. We also have 1/2" to 1" gaps between boards where they meet at their ends. Zuri has been discontinued in the largest deck supplier in Colorado and there are few, if any, installers willing to use the product due to its expansion and contraction issues in our climate. Zuri has also fired its 2 reps in Colorado. We are actively pursuing compensation from Royal Building but we can use some help with what they have done for other customers? We are asking them to pay for removal of their product and full credit for all the materials we purchased from them as well as the labor to install. Then we want to find a suitable replacement material. The Advantage Lumber note above has us thinking about hardwoods but we are concerned about cost. We are also looking at TimberTech and Deckorators but Deckorators has only 4 color choices. If anyone has input on the Zuri issues i would love to hear at jimdonegan@comcast,net (Hey Charles, any word on your issues?). Thanks in advance. Jim

• mzieba
    2 years ago

Wondering if the people who installed Zuri and had the issues with regard to warping due to expansion installed the board using Camo Marksman Pro method. Really like the way the decking looks but after reading this thread I am on the fence. Can anyone who has had this decking for a while comment? Is there any other manufacturers that offer a product with similar detail? Thanks in advance!

• jodykla
    2 years ago

We went with tivadek instead and so far we are very pleased. The fasteners are hidden. No problems with sunscreen staining or rubber hose, mats and kiddie pool Markings. We are in cold Canada so we will see how it does in sub zero climate this winter.

• Bill Woodruff
    2 years ago

I feel like I'm getting the runaround. Royal's customer service folks now owe a site inspection to help me get it right. But the deck now is a mess, with the 'ski tipping' issue and other mounting issues. Some photos attached. The contractor had training from a distributor before mounting, so I assume it was done right. Right now, I'm not a happy camper. We're in the San Francisco East Bay.

• Tad Hayashi
    last year

Zuri Decking installed 2 years ago in Colorado. About 1 year after installation noticed discoloration (darkening) and reported it to Zuri representative who came out and took pictures and said she would get replacement authorization. Waited for winter to pass only to find out that there is a new representative and have to start process all over again. Discoloration appears to be sun related as shaded areas are the last to darken. Now, experiencing what appears to be cracking of top protective coating. Have sent numerous pictures, done heat gun test, all at the request of "Quality Control Department". Resent original invoices today and am told this is the last piece to the approval process. After reading feedback here, not sure if this is the right product for Colorado sun. Would love to hear updates, Jim....thanks.

• Andrea Byrne
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hmmm. Very interesting as we just bought a Zuri deck for our home. We went with weathered grey and white railings with black spindles. I am scared something will happen such as these stories however our installer has a 25 year warranty. We live in St. Louis. I wonder if some of these installs have been faulty because of the installer and not because of the product itself. Some say their area isnt familiar with the product which makes it hard to properly install something in my opinion. Has anyone put potted plants on the deck? Wondering what it would do to it and also what would you put on the bottom of the chair legs to keep from “scratching” anything? We were told you can powerwash zuri as well is that true or no? Has anyone tried?

• Bill Woodruff
    last year

hope your house does not have windows near the deck.. apparently reflected sunlight onto the deck is excessive heat, and warps the boards. This product is not ready for prime time, but you've got it now.. Wish I never engaged.

• l d
    last year

I just powerwashed my whole deck yesterday. We've had zuri for 4 years now, and its holding up just fine.

• Richard Goranson
    last year

Which company did you use in Maryland for Zuri?

• l d
    last year

I had a neighbor do it and got a salesman from Zuri to come watch and confirm that he knows how to do it so as not to void my warranty. You must hire a reliable deck builder who knows this material but not many do unfortunately. I would not recommend this guy because although he does great work, he is unreliable as to when he decides to do it.

• Shawna Salvo
    last year

Anyone here live in Canada? i am looking at this for our deck and not sure if it will hold up with our weather here in Ontario. seems more negative then positive experiences. it's unfortunate if this is the case because it is the nicest looking composite/pvc decking by far.

• jodykla
    last year

Hey shawna we live in Muskoka Ontario near Bracebridge.For a bunch of reasons we opted to NOT go for Zuri.We used Tivadek and so far (2 long and cold winters) and last years hot hot summer, it has been amazing.Not one board has moved or discoloured ... it looks as great as the day it was put down. We have 2 levels, one is a wrap around and many hundreds of feet of it with no complaints.While Zuri looks great when it's new, the photo finish on it reacts to suncreen, plastic (like a hose left on it or a children's pool) etc..

• jj z
    last year
    last modified: last year
    • When I see the boards bowed up, that tells me they were not installed correctly. The instructions specifically say "fasten boards within ½" of the ends". That is an installer error not a decking problem. The problem with Zuri is that it requires the owner/builder to follow specific directions and some people aren't capable of that and then expect the warranty to cover it. Read the directions and follow the installation guide and you will be fine.
  • HU-359334420
    11 months ago

Installed Zuri deck in 2015. In 2018 it began to delaminate creating razor sharp shards. Company wouldn't honor 25 year warranty until our local supplier got involved then they refused to refund our full purchase price. A huge expense for us since we had to have it all ripped up before we could have a new non-Zuri deck installed. Suggest you avoid at any cost!

• BJ
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Okay, I'm going add my Zuri decking horror story to those above. I'm in Colorado. We put a Zuri deck in in the summer of 2018 The issues started with the fasteners. They did not work with our decking. The rep told my wife the contractor didn't know what he was doing, gave the line about the specialized nature of a Zuri install (e.g., see two posts above) and was generally fairly nasty and belittling. My wife not being a shrinking violet, however, pursued this matter vigorously over the course of numerous phone calls. Then the rep suggested that we had the wrong generation of Zuri Clip. They sent us the newer generation clip (we live 250 miles from where we bought the materials). The clips were basically the same and equally non-functional.

The Zuri rep continued the blame game until my wife arranged a meeting with the rep and the supplier who sold them to us, she laid some pieces and fasteners on the table, and said "show me how to make these work". They could NOT. The supplier demanded that we be refunded and the Zuri rep wrote us a check on the spot for roughly $6,000. I think this was 80% of the cost of the materials and we kept the materials. I think this was a fair arrangement but it was painful to attain. We figured out how to modify the Zuri clips to make them work. How a manufactured product could fail to work with its fastener still escapes me.

The product itself looks good but that's where the positives end. The chief issue with Zuri in our environment is that it is flat out dangerous in the winter. It is EXTREMELY slippery when it has snow or frost on it, to the point that the deck is not practically usable as is. Our problem is that we created boardwalks with Zuri to both of the back doors, so we need to tiptoe across the Zuri skating rink when we want to use those doors. Last winter we solved the slippery problem by putting outdoor rugs down. That worked great, until spring when we lifted them to reveal areas of milky discoloration that others described. Oops, didn't read about that defect in time.... We are not sure what to do this winter, we are thinking of screwing down perforated plywood and covering that with outdoor rugs. It is ridiculous. And yes, some boards warped and Zuri gets really hot, etc, just like others have noted. Don't be beguiled by Zuri's pretty face! It's bad news.

• HU-408160542
    8 months ago

Regarding the milky discoloration the Zuri people will tell you can remove it with a heat gun or hair dryer. Beware! You will solve one problem and create another. Yes, the heat will make the milkiness go away. However, it also melts the fine rippled texture of the surface and on sunny days when you and the light are positioned correctly you will see shiny spots where the milkiness was - it will look like little spots of "black" ice. Unfortunately, the supplier I bought this from was absolutely no help. If there ever is a class action law suit against Zuri (Royal Products) count me in! (PS, we had the same fastener run around).

• PRO
    Debra Kling Colour Consultant
    3 months ago

Just thought I’d add in our positive experience in the Northeast. Deck was installed by our very good contractor with supervision from a Zuri rep who came out at the beginning of the project. I believe we are going on year 5 or 6 and the deck still looks beautiful. We do maintain it by cleaning with a mild detergent and some bleach to eradicate mildew which has formed over the winter. We follow care instructions and try to avoid walking on it with rubber soles when it is very hot outside. We have a grill on the deck— greasy stains from grilling scrub off easily. Even a very high-end builder-friend we had over for an outdoor meal during Covid remarked upon it and was favorably impressed. So far, so good.

• HU-359334420
    3 months ago

Terrible experience with this product. Had to fight to get the company to honor their warranty when wide spread delamination began the first year. Will blister your feet it gets so hot- super dangerous with kids. Big uncovered expense to get it ripped up and disposed of. Very expensive trash product - avoid at all costs or you’ll be very sorry.

• HU-3819968
    2 months ago

Am not one to post comments but feel compelled as a public service to post this one. Product is HORRIBLE. Looks great but (even as contractor was installing) sheet of ice forms when temp. dips below freezing. Now it's Spring and we've had rain---TREACHEROUS ! As soon as it rains or morning dew settles, it's unusable. My contractor (who installed) is trying to avoid issue. Zuri decking is the worst purchase of my life. Be Warned !!!

• valeriecourville
    2 months ago

So far, so good in Montreal, Canada. The pecan colour deck is exposed to sun during all the day. I install the deck by myself with a rep visit to my house. I’m meticulous and it was time consuming, but people always impress by the product, even after 2 winter. No horror stories on my side, just a beautiful patio. But this product need to be installed carefully. If you pay someone to do it, be willing to pay for respecting all the procureure installation.

• Merribeth Devine
    16 days ago

Here is our Zuri deck it is fantastic after 4 years in Ontario Canada with very harsh winters. The installation is extremely important as it need air flow to help release the heat Our builder researched this and the zuri rep came to inspect it. We have had no issues we would use it again.

• Shawna Salvo
    5 days ago

thank you for sharing! i have a sample of the same colour and love it.