SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Do we have any recourse?

tammyte
6 years ago

I have yet to post an update here with pics of my house because it seems like it will never be finished. ugh

Our most recent issue is with trim and molding. The trim around the doors had paint peeling. This was on several doors. They replaced it. Some of the new pieces peeled. They have or are soon to be replacing those as well. I just noticed on our french door that it is peeling in the same way, but this isn't the trim that frames the door like the others. (Is that called casing?) This is the inside of the door frame.

Then I just noticed the other day that the trim is pulled away from the wall in our master bath. We also can feel that the floor is unlevel in that doorway along with the doorways of the girls' bedroom and our master closet. All of these doorways are along a marriage wall between the mods.I don't know if the mods are separating or what in the world is happening.

When they set the house/mods they didn't get them to match up exactly and there have been tons of issues because of this first crew and their horrible work.

Another huge issue we have is that our house BOUNCES. A LOT. When I emailed him about it he basically alluded to the fact that I have several children (we have 6) and kids can be loud. Ummm no. The house shakes when I walk. I am not a large person. When we are in the living room and one child is maybe kind of sort of bouncing a bit (feet not leaving the ground at all) asking to please please have a cookie - we can feel the room shaking. He said they can send engineers out to look at it.

Their offer to "fix" my kitchen is to put scribe molding up on all of the upper cabinets. I sent them pics of why that won't correct things and that was not acceptable to me. They still ordered it and sent me an email saying they were coming to install the scribe. I emailed back that I never gave the okay for that and it is not acceptable. I haven't heard anything back.

Our exterior door leaked water when it rained. He sent a guy to fix it. He took it off and had to reseal it. He said that they had let the foam dry before putting the door on?? So it wasn't sealed properly. Then it didn't get wet, but we ccould see daylight around it. So he came back and adjusted further. Now we can't see as much daylight but we have to open and close back and forth to get the deadbolt to lock. It's annoying.

Master shower - this is big too. :( My dh is a big guy. He specifically told the builder that he was about 375lbs and wanted to make sure the shower was good and we requested that they do extra reinforcements under it. They added some 2x4's I think but did nothing with the shower. When he stands in it he can feel it moving and hear cracking sounds. Even when I stand in it it doesn't feel very sturdy. We have been back and forth with them about it. Dh has been in contact with the manufacturing company of the shower. He found out it is tested for 300lbs and that is for specific spots (I don't remember how he explained it.) not for total weight. So we asked for a sturdy shower with extra reinforcement and got a shower that isn't designed to hold his weight. What can we do?? They already remodeled our msterbath because they gave us the wrong size shower and our toilet was in the wrong place. The only reason they gave us this shower (they were wanting to doa remod shower from Menards. I am NOT kidding.) is because they also put in the wrong size window so while they had a hold in the wall fixing the window they brought the new shower in. As of now we haven't used the shower. We just use the kid's shower.

Speaking of the kids bath - we can hear EVERYthing when anyone is in there. They can be whispering and we can hear them in our bedroom. When they get toilet paper we can hear it squeak and hear/feel the vibrations of it in the kitchen where it shares a wall. They told me that the walls are hollow. They only insulate if requested. Is this NORMAL?

They have fixed several problems and are continuing to work with us and fix things as we find them. I talked with an attorney and he basically said as long as they are still working on things not to do anything. But some of this stuff is pretty big and some of them they aren't doing anything about. ie., the master shower, kitchen issues, floors being unlevel (dh feels a hump in one spot)

The plumber just came back again to fix yet another leaking sink. It has been the same problem every time. They put something in backward. He said he always has this issue with this company. They do shoddy work. Same thing from the electrician. All the outlets and light switches were/are crooked. Some are different heights. They fixed what they could but there is only so much you can do without redoing the entire wall. The plumber and other guy also told me that our builder has figured out that this company does crap work and is having "his" guys do more of it since our house and another house were done. Ours was the second he ever did with this company and he thought they did better work than this. So I think that's why he is still working with us. I'm sure he has already lost his butt on our build. But we paid a lot of money for this and did not get what he promised....sigh.

Comment (1)