SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

What's the real scoop on Japanese Maples?

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Seems I'm reading conflicting information online about these lovely little trees, and hope someone here can shed some light. I've long thought (due to things I've read and continue to read) that the Japanese Maple is best in an area where it gets filtered sunlight or mostly shade. We have a spot in our yard where we want to plant a small tree, and I've stayed away from the JM precisely because of what I've long thought.

Today, I read this from the Arbor Day Foundation website:

Note "Sun Preference", which appears to contradict what I thought I knew! We did have a JM in the backyard of our previous home, but it never did well. It was in a pretty heavily shaded area, and now I'm thinking that it might not have been getting enough sun.

So ... how much sun can these things REALLY take before they burn? Are some varieties more adapted to sunny areas than others? If you have one in a sunny location, I'd love to see a photo and/or know what variety you have. Thanks!

ETA: I'm in Zone 8, and the area we are considering for a small tree is on the northwest corner of the house.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals