SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

I'm Sick and Tired of Roses That Won't Grow

Carding Mill (own root), Love Song, Plum Perfect, Bride's Dream, Charles Darwin (can't take the heat), Mrs. B.R. Cant - these losers and a few more just can't get their act together in my garden. Can any of you who live in a similar climate and deal with radiant heat from hardscape, giant boulders , and now with limbed up and fewer trees because of the fire danger, recommend any roses that took off from the word go and grew and bloomed satisfactorily in spite of all these negatives? I am very tired of all the naked spots in my garden where the roses I've planted give no garden value at all, and don't look as though they'll deliver in the near future. I'd be so grateful for any recommendations.

Comments (44)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

Have you thought about growing under shade cloth? It seems like you have more Arizona-like conditions than coastal CA conditions. Perhaps AZ rose society websites would have growing tips for intense heat situations.

Reflected heat is a brutal thing. I was working next to one of my light stucco walls and although it was only 75F or so, it felt like 100F because of reflected heat.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Ingrid, isn't 'Belinda's Dream' a good rose for you? Did you know that ARE has a sport, 'Belinda's Blush'?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vicissitudezz
  • Related Discussions

I'm stunned. Tulips WON'T bloom in San Fran?

Q

Comments (3)
    Tulips will bloom beautifully in San Francisco. You should consider them as annuals, however as you don't have enough winter chill to bloom the second year. I always buy mine as soon as available, about the end of August and put them in my garden refrigerator until the first of December when they are planted in the garden. Dependable blooming is never a problem. When the bloom is over, just dig them up and compost or throw away. With the low cost of tulips, this is not a sacrifice. Al
    ...See More

A few roses won't bloom, won't get any larger

Q

Comments (21)
    While looking into midge chemical cures, I found disturbing information on merit and bees... sigh. I found this info in the American rose Annual from 1918 on the treatment of midge at the time by Mr. Koch in Humboldt Park gardens in Chicago. I don't know where I'd get a load of tobacco stems, (ha), but I thought this organic treatment was interesting. "He found many of the plants affected with mildew and stem- blight, and, in 1911, rose midge had been introduced with new plants in the three principal parks. Hybrid Perpetuals and Gruss an Teplitz were found particularly susceptible to attacks of the midge. After considerable experimental work, Mr. Koch adopted mulching four inches deep with tobacco stems. It is applied after the first summer hoeing, about mid-June, and spaded under after frost in autumn. Where the mulch becomes thinned or shifted in the course of the summer, additional appUcations are made. This, he found, prevents hibernation of the pest. Last summer but few larvae and few injuries were found. For the greater security of other varieties, it was found necessary to remove Gruss an Teplitz from Douglas Park entirely in 1915." Any thoughts, my knowledgeable friends?
    ...See More

Desert Rose won't grow, won't flower

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi guys thanks for all your help- I am not going to repost in the other forum at this time b/c I think I got some very good information here. I went to walmart today and they were out of cactus mix. Sigh. They did have a bag of perlite tho- but I wanted to check with you guys first if this is the correct thing to buy, and if so- what do I do with it. I have a bag of miracle grow potting soil- I am assuming I need to mix these two together. I also have some small gravel- about bean sized. I plan to put him in a terra cotta pot since plastic holds the water and doesn't breath. I could use some instructions on the dirt mix tho- and as an aside- I purchased a succulent that needs to be repotted- do I use the same type of soil for him? I also have two lemon trees I grew from seed that I wanted to put into citrus mix, however they didn't even carry that this year. No they don't ever grow lemons, sometimes they flower but that's ok- the leaves smell really nice.
    ...See More

I 'm Sick & Tired of this

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree with StellaMae....but, like she said, don't cover the rhizomes.....also look for the silver lining in this dark cloud. Since Irises require little watering, if the weeds are doing well, you know the Irises are getting ample moisture. This year I used wood shavings. The ones I bought for my parrots cage bottom. I decided against using it for the parrots because it was too messy. But, for the Iris beds it's beautiful. Looks different and nicer than mulch. So far, I think it's done a better job than mulch and doesn't seem to pack down with time. Also, like GrannyMarsh mentioned, pull the weeds out roots and all. I have never minded weeding.........I see a spiritual significance in it....some things in our lives just seem to keep trying to come back........ya gotta keep the weeds outta the personal garden too, right! And, as with gardening, this takes a LIFEtime of work, with the benefits not immediately seen. OK, OK, I 'll shut up, just trying to make DebbieSue's weeding a little less aggravating. *smile* David
    ...See More
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My Summer heat is about 5-10 degrees lower than AZ, but definitely drier than there. I garden at an elevation of about 2800'. Conditions here and in AZ I believe are worse than yours (climate). The rose that took off so well, I describe it as bulletproof, is one that did not perform satisfactorily for you but I do not remember why.... I would recommend Blush Noisette to anyone growing in the hot and dry. In fact, I thought the performance of this rose was a fluke, so I purchased two additional plants, both are growing in full sun too, and have taken off.

This is Blush Noisette during August of 2016.. it was only a few months old. Notice all of the buds during August ( very likely 108 degrees). It had grown to about 3' x 2'.

The same plant 1 1/2 years old. I apologize to those who have seen this image....

It is about 5' x 6'

Thick layers of "mulch" help...

Here, Love Song seems to thrive with either 4 hours of afternoon sun or morning sun only.

I received it as a one-gallon own root plant and it is about a year old. It is 2' x 2'. The image was taken a couple of days ago... still pushing out new growth in high 90-degree temperature.

The Las Vegas Valley Rose Society also produces a rose list, but they are modern roses for the most part. I have a list of recommended roses from a member who grew OGR's. I will try to locate it.

I am going to link a post by Jaspermplants/DebbyM I bookmarked. She gardens in Phoenix and recommended roses that perform well in her garden.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1704759/ogrs-in-my-very-hot-climate

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Are you planting bare roots directly in the ground Ingrid? I have long found out that in my adverse conditions roses do better if I give them a year in the pot. And I'm not talking about own root bands, I'm talking about budded bare roots. You may be able to place the pots in a slightly shadier / cooler spot or create such a spot for them. Also, I am a very patient gardener.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nikthegreek
  • debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
    6 years ago

Interesting to read my post from several years ago. The teas are still good but I've had my share of deceased roses. I put in Love Song last year and it has been a non-stop bloomer (has stopped now that it's gotten so hot).

One thing about Tempe, where I live, is that we have pretty good soil here. We are close to the Salt River and have alluvial soil from the river. At lease that's what I learned in my Master Gardener class. My soil is clay but pretty good, I think, if I add plenty of organic matter. Also I don't have a lot of reflective heat except for some roses I've planted next to the wall, and they don't do very well. I'm in typical suburban neighborhood and I've basically torn up my grass and planted roses wherever I can. I have a lot of bushes and tress around also, for shade. My young roses struggle in the summer though.

My established roses don't seem to mind the heat too much, as long as they get water. I have a row of established roses (meaning in the ground more than a year), including Clothide Soupert, Boscobel, SDLM, Duchess of Albany, Catherine Mermet and my monster, Mme Joseph Schwartz. As long as I keep them watered, I don't worry about them at all in the summer. If I can get a rose through the first summer, they are usually ok. For me, the easiest roses to grow are teas, by far. And SDLM and her sports. I struggle with some of the Austins but have had really good luck with The Dark Lady, great rose. Boscobel is also turning out to be a great rose but it's only in it's second year.

In the Phoenix area, a lot of the older homes were built on previous farmland (as was my house) so soil is good. As Phx has grown endlessly out, the soil in the desert surrounding Phx is not so good, so many newer home struggle with some of the same issues it sounds like you do, Ingrid. So, I don't know if my suggestions are helpful for your circumstances. I don't find my roses struggle too much to survive, except young roses in the summer, and I can't keep anything alive in a pot except for bougainvilla.

Good luck; gardening can be such a challenge at times!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hoovb, the reflected heat you describe is everywhere in my garden. Even now, when it's not that hot yet, my skin feels at though it's burning when I'm in the sun, no matter where I'm standing.

Virginia, I had Belinda's Dream and it struggled until I finally gave up on it. It needed a ton of water and never looked good except for a few months, and even then was never covered with flowers as I've seen in pictures of it.

desertgarden, your Blush Noisette is beautiful. If mine were in full sun it would probably die. Mine has sun only until about noon and even so the flowers don't last very long. The same is true of Duchesse de Brabant next to it, which gets even less sun but still gets quite a few buds. However, the blooms go from barely open to flat as a pancake (which I've never seen in DdB before) within one day. Thank you for the link. I'm especially impressed by September Morn.

nik, I never buy bare-root roses so that isn't the problem. They're almost all own-root and I do plant them immediately instead of potting them on. The ones that do well in the heat, like SdlM and The Faun, start to grow right away, while Love Song and Plum Perfect right behind them just sit there.

debbym, I know it's blazing hot in Phoenix so I imagine your heavy soil is the saving grace. My decomposed granite is obviously a different story, although of course I amend the planting holes, mulch and use drip watering. I truly believe that some varieties are much more suitable for my garden than others. Marie Pavie and International Herald Tribune, planted next to Charles Darwin, are doing so much better than Charles, with the same amount of sun and heat. I thought I was done planting new roses but, come fall, the ones that have been there for several years and done nothing are going to go. It will only get hotter as time goes on and only the toughest roses will be able to take a stand.

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Pot grown bands or recently potted bare-roots (the two most common ways of obtaining 'non bare root' roses) would equally benefit from potting up to 5 gal pots and kept in the pot for a year, in my opinion. Keeping potted roses in a warm climate requires special attention to placement and watering and demands some fertilization but, other than that, I believe it gives the opportunity to roses to mature enough and prepare for more adverse conditions, especially if one's soil is poor and dry (as mine is). This has been my experience.

• User
    6 years ago

I agree with Nik. I've only recently been able to do this properly, since at our old house there was no decent place to keep the pots. Now I'm even digging out and potting up some of the bare-roots that can't seem to grow that I put out before we moved here.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • yuccarose
    6 years ago

I am also in the desert, zone 8b/9 just a few miles from Cliff Orent's old location and can feel your frustration. Lady banksaie lutea and white Lady Banks are indestructible here as are MAC and Alastair Stella Gray. Eugene de Beauharnais has been a wonderful surprise with afternoon shade. I know you are not a fan of red roses, but Cramoisi Superior and Don Juan are bloom machines for me-even at 106. You might also try Sept. Morn and Mlle. Fraziska Krueger. Mine are very small right now, but coming along pretty well. Cori Ann suggested Homere, which I plan to get. You might tryreferencing the Desert Rose Society which lists quite a few OGR's, or email them. They are very helpful.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked yuccarose
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    6 years ago

Ingrid I have a lot of reflected heat in my hot and dry yard. It's actually completely covered in surfaces that reflect heat, river rock, pavers, stone wall, gravel and synthetic green. There are no surfaces that *don't* reflect heat... except for the gardenbeds themselves. It makes my yard much hotter than other yards that are even right next to me. I actually started heat testing roses next to a very hot stone wall so I could decide how much sun/shade they would need here. Some wilted immediately and it was obviously cruel to keep them there. Some did unbelievablely well. These are the ones that have done great from the get go (all were either just planted in the fall or spring)

Homere (still young, but doing great, while it is said to ball or never open in other, cooler yards)

More pink when it's cooler. Lighter and creamy when it's 100+

Schon Ingeborg

Falstaff too... but might be too red for your preferences at times. ;-)

These are not old garden roses, but have been unbelievable for the heat and possible available at Lowes (I wouldn't buy bands of these, look for more mature plants from Lowes)

Madame Anisette

Summer Romance

First Crush

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, how is your soil? You say you are in inland Ca, are you in (formerly) agricultural area? I imagine people visualize Phoenix as being all desert but there is a lot of agriculture here so soil is pretty good in some areas,as I previously mentioned. I wonder if that makes some of the difference for those of us that are growing roses in hot, dry conditions.

By the way, I love your Mdme Anisette! I might just have to get her next year (of course I have no room!)

Nik, I have had no luck growing bands in pots during the summer here. I have tried and no matter where I put them, in shade or wherever, they seem to suffer much more in the pot than in the ground. So, I put bands directly in the ground and baby them the first summer. Sometimes that works and sometimes they die. It really seems to matter quite a bit that I plant them (Feb at latest) before it gets too hot here. Of course, I have trouble getting plants from some vendors that early and if I really want that rose and can only get it from that vendor, I end up planting the band in March, when vendor sends them out. Those do struggle during the summer.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

For me the three champions that grew like weeds from the get-go despite the climatic challenges: r. roxburghii, r. banksiae & Bobbie James. The last two are climbers so not what you're looking for, most likely, but Roxburghii tolerates the heat really well. Marie Pavie is also heroic but you know that already.

Another one that I don't grow but seems not to mind scorching heat and sun - Sally Holmes! You should try her!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have any luck with starting own-roots in pots. I plant them in the ground in November when the cool weather has set in so that they have a long time to grow and acclimate before the summer heat.

Schoen Ingeborg and Mlle. Franziska Kruger, along with September Morn, definitely have my interest. Looking at my notes I see that Ralph Moore's Peppermint Parfait is also recommended for hot areas. Does anyone grow it?

Sally Holmes gets very large but I might consider planting her in Tea Rose Row if any of the youngsters I planted earlier this year fail to thrive. I believe Etoile de Lyon was also recently mentioned as good in the heat. Am I right about that?

• jerijen
    6 years ago

Like Nik, we give roses a good long "childhood" in a pot, before they go into the ground.

If they are pushing roots out the bottom of a 5-G pot, they go into the ground here. If not -- not.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jerijen
    6 years ago

Hi Debby. My area is an old neighborhood, but a LONG time ago there were a lot of ranches here. It was never really an agricultural area. I have slightly acidic soil with very high mineral content according to a soil test done in the fall... and I use a lot of mulch. It is extremely heavy clay. But that being said, all the roses that I have been doing my own little "testing" with are in pulp puts by the stone wall, so they don't really have soil as a factor since they're in pulp pots and organic potting soil. I really love Madame Anisette too! I just put all of mine in the ground so hopefully they perform just as well or better. It is an amazing rose for my hot area. Really unbelievable actually!

Ingrid I have Peppermint Parfait. I bought it from the same reviews you probably read. It's cute. Mine are young bands from RVR and they bloomed really early and well this spring/winter... but then when the 100+ heat came they shut down. I do have them right near a hot stone wall so they get a lot of radiant heat. No frying leaves and no frying petals. They're budding again now that it has been in the 70-90s instead of 100s. It's a little fragrant. It would look nice with your Deanna Krause. :-)

One of mine is growing much faster than the other. Here's photos of them today.

They are flanking Yves Piaget since they are supposed to either creep or grow like little climbers. I figured they might fill in the awkward growth Yves Piaget is known for.

Mine get sun until about now (noon), then shade the rest of the day, which helps with the radiant heat I think. They might not like to get radiant heat all day since mine shut down when temps were higher. Hard to say since mine are so young. It's cute, but maybe not exactly what you're looking for Ingrid.

6 years ago

Ingrid just to be an enabler... you probably know that ARE is having a sale where they manually adjust the price to make everything half off. They currently have MFK in stock... as well as Polar Express and Beverly... which are 2 others that I heard were reported to do really well in dry heat.

6 years ago

Okay, to be blunt, my soil (rock and caliche riddled sand, with next to nothing living in it..) is horrible!!, no agriculture here. I plant one-gallon own root roses in their pots, in the ground, and they perform well. I have three roses received from R.U. yesterday that will be placed in 2-3 gallon pots and planted this weekend. I have been doing this for years and have not lost a rose yet. I would, however, lose roses if they were left on my covered patio or yard, relying upon me to not only water them regularly but appropriately.

Edited to add: the rose is planted in the ground without the pot during the Fall or February.

Side note: I received Madame Anisette yesterday, Cori-Ann.. it is huge!! Thank you for the post with recommendations.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Ingrid, MFK is really charming. I got mine from ARE in 1/17 and it is in a bag/pot so far. It really reminds me of you. It is very pretty.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • yuccarose
    6 years ago

Is there a really good source for pulp pots? Home Depot and Lowe's don't carry them at all here and I could really use some 3 or 5 gallons. Best online source? Thanks, Laurel

Original Author
    6 years ago

Sheila, before even reading your post and seeing those gorgeous pictures, I gave in and ordered MFK from the ARE just a little while ago! It's the wrong time of the year to plant so I may leave it and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux in their pots until fall, if I can make myself do that. Yours is magnificent! I can guarantee that same rose would not look as good if I grew it because I just don't have a green thumb. Nevertheless, I'll be happy to have it. RJG does not do that well in the heat, and I already have one, but to me it's just such a beautiful rose.

Cori Ann, I was tempted by Polar Express, but somehow I always end up succumbing to old roses if they're also available. I'm afraid I'm an old rose junkie.

6 years ago

Sheila your MFK looks like a sculpture it's so pretty! I have it too, but mine looks to be much further behind than yours. I love it though!

Yucca rose... yes there's is a good online source for pulp pots! Plastic pots will kill a rose here within a few hours in the sun. I used to buy mine locally, but then I found them online at: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/western-pulp-round-pots/paper-pots

Anything with 12-13 in diameter is probably more than enough.

I have bought several different sizes from them and they're all great. I bought some of the largest ones for a few trees and they were HUGE!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

What's MFK??

Never mind, it's Mlle. Franziska Kruger. I can't grow it here. It's beautiful though.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • yuccarose
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, thanks!

Ingrid, one more thought. Mrs. Herbert Stevens supposedly loves hot, dry heat. You might check her out.

6 years ago

I had two MFK, both growing in full sun. They are fast growing and heat tolerant.

• User
    6 years ago

Summer, you could put MFK in a pot and put it in a window well. Cover the window well with a plastic cover over the winter. In the spring, take the cover off and let it grow from there, or pull it out and let it grow over the summer. It would be worth a try I think.

Rebecca

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Thanks Rebecca for the idea, but I don't have any window well though, the basement windows are just above the ground. It would be nice to have one or two for wintering roses. :-)

I already grow some teas and tender roses in pots , plus 38 rose trees in pots ( lost 1 last winter, used to be 39), plus 15 Ludwigs roses in pots, just added 2 more teas in pots this month- Adam and Marachal Niel, I am out of room for storage this coming winter, ...... I need a sunroom/green house. Lol

Ingrid, waiting for your MFK photos. Hope it does well for you.

Shiela, nice photos! Love your house color!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yuccarose, thanks for the tip about Mrs. Herbert Stevens. It's a rose that's mentioned often but, frankly, I've never been enamored of it since to me it looks rather shapeless. I'm not really a fan of very white roses, but already have Gruss an Aachen, Jesse Hildreth, Spice, Blush Noisette, Mlle. de Sombreuil and Marie Pavie for white touches in the garden.

• User
    6 years ago

I just got rid of MFK and her sister Blumenschmidt. When it was hot they were happy, but when it was cool and damp, which is more often my situation, the blooms looked lipstick-stained and misshapen. Every rose has its place, I guess.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I had Blumenschmidt and didn't at all care for it, and I've heard others voice similar opinions. However, MFK should love my climate, which is pretty well the opposite of yours, except in the winter. This may finally be a rose where I don't have to make sure that it doesn't get afternoon sun.

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    6 years ago

I have different conditions certainly being in CA near Oregon but I have found since I have had to put the roses in my garden in 15 gallon buried pots last year because of voles they are taking off. Probably because I put good potting soil in and have augmented with moisture retaining things like perlite and vermiculite and peat. My conditions are much more shady, but I am finally seeing growth to decent sizes. Paisley dog, a McNab Shepherd/Collie is being very helpful with deer this year and I seem to not have then actually living in my forest as before, they come and go but don't like being chased out so they stay away more. The soil they were in before was almost pure sand and though I mixed organics in the ground they seem to disappear rapidly whereas in the pots everything stays put. It is a very big pain to get the pots and bury them and if you have rocks it would be next to impossible.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    6 years ago

I wish I could ship you some of my clay soil Ingrid. Heavy and painful as it is to work with, it does help to retain water and I'm grateful for that. The cost, due to the immense dense weight, would be totally prohibitive though. ;-)

Excuse my naïveté ... is there an amendment you can add to granite soil to make it more clay-like or water retaining?

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, do you plant your pulp pots in the ground or just use them to hold the plants before you plant them? I have all of these plastic pots sitting in holes where I removed the previous rose and it would be awesome if I didn't have to remove from the pot.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I bury the pulp pots in the ground. It has worked really well for me. Worms seem to love them in my yard. A few others have said that it didn't work for them for various reasons, but it has worked great for me for roses, trees, azaleas, etc. You just need to make sure you bury the rim or rip it off. Otherwise exposed cardboard will take the moisture from the ground. If it's in the ground it seems to help keep moisture near the roots though. If you have to move them within the first 6 months to a year it makes it easier too. :-)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Super idea, thanks. Is there any way to know if they are full of chemicals and such? I guess if they had too much people would have trouble growing things though.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Lavenderlace if you look at that link for western pulp pots, the ingredients are in th FAQs. I believe it includes recycled paper, hay, bark and basil. :-)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, you are such a sweetheart. A lot can be done to enrich poor soil, and some of it I am doing, but it will never be clay, and unless you keep adding and adding it just magically turns back into what it was to begin with. Mulching is something I do and that does help, as does having enough water, which we do have right now. The ever-increasing radiant heat is really the biggest enemy.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

Ingrid, do you grow Old Blush? It's really not my favourite rose in the garden but it does deal with the heat really well. In fact right now while everything else is in recovery mode or laden with spent blooms, it's looking like this - and we're talking early afternoon scorching sun surrounded by gravel type weather (I'm back indoors):

In the background you can see blooms of r. roxburghii that look like they've just melted - a rose that normally doesn't blink in hot weather.

I've never seen Old Blush get too large around here although that could be the way it's pruned. It's often planted with grape vines (farmers use them to gauge the health of the soil and vine I'm told) and in the gardens of old villas.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Anna-Lyssa I have had Old Blush in the past and unfortunately most of the time I would see mildew on the stem right under the bloom if not also on the leaves. I'm reluctant to take a chance on it again, and frankly I'd like something a little more spectacular if I'm going to use precious water on it. Since I've ordered Mlle. Franziska Kruger and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux I think those two should be sufficient for my needs. I really appreciate all your wonderful help.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

Ingrid I know what you mean. I think I remember mildew the first year I planted it, but nothing since, but it definitely isn't what I'd call spectacular. A good gap-filler for me (it's squeezed in next to a manhole).

But please update us on the two you have ordered. It seems like many of us could use more heat-tolerant options..... Those two are both absolutely spectacular. :)

6 years ago

Hey Ingrid have you ever tried or heard of silicon to help makes plants stronger against heat/drought? I just started using it sporadically... maybe every couple weeks or so. I think I read Henry and Nik recommending it in the roses forum. In the citrus forum it's a very popular topic too.

I just started using Protekt by Dyna Grow. It is supposed to help make foliage/petals stronger and thicker among other things, which will help them stand up to things like drought and radiant heat better. I apply it with a hose end sprayer, otherwise I would probably apply it more often. It's recommended to apply it with every watering, but takes so much time to get the hose out and apply that way. I have only applied it 1 time so far to my roses and 2 times to my citrus so I don't really have an opinion on if it's working or not, but it might be worth looking into. Maybe just for the problem roses, before you dig them up and get rid of them.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, I appreciate your helpfulness very much, but these days unfortunately I'm not able to do much beyond only the most basic care for the garden. There is so much more I could do, but my wimpy energy level doesn't allow for much beyond the basics, with 5-10 minutes being the maximum I can manage at any one time. However, there are others here who struggle with more serious problems and still carry on, so I'm not complaining, just explaining. When it's in the 80's like today I only go out to change all the water bowls and bird bath water for the animals, because that's essential for me. Otherwise I just wait for evening, which is when the garden looks its most beautiful to me, after the sun has set. I'm leaving it to others to have the really spectacular gardens that I can enjoyvicariously through pictures, and feel darn lucky be able to find roses that will put up with me and the very demanding conditions they face here.

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Silicon sprays supposedly help against some leafminers too.

• yuccarose
    6 years ago

Cori Ann, please keep us all posted on how the Pro-tekt works for you! I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert