SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19720659

Antique Roses Emporium Sale

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

To celebrate the end of our mail order season, all IN STOCK roses are now $11.95 – a 40% savings. This sale applies to new orders placed now through June 5, 2017 and shipped immediately (sorry, no hold overs till Fall.) Normal shipping and handling fees apply and although they will show up on the website at checkout, please know that your order will be manually adjusted to reflect the sale price.

There are still LOTS of good roses left, but they are sure to go fast. You may order online, but for best availability, please call 800-441-0002. Ask us about any roses you are interested in, even if their status shows “Sold Out” as small quantities may still be available. This offer is good through June 5, 2017 OR while supplies last.

SHOP NOW

Comments (115)

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, 'Little White Pet' is also classed as a Polyantha by many, so the connection to 'Félicité-Perpétue' was easy to miss by someone not paying attention. Erm, like me...

Virginia

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I ordered on-line and not over the phone last week and I was billed, but have received no further notification. I wonder if I should be worried. I'll have to get in touch with them tomorrow. I'm amazed that some of you have already received your roses and I haven't even gotten a hello from them.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Related Discussions

Pioneer Roses from Antique Rose Emporium

Q

Comments (44)
    Vap, you will love Thomas Affleck! I just found some photos from 2012 - not my best ones, but will go thru my camera later and post as I find some. I have gotten lazy now - its a 3 hour drive, and if I want some ARE roses, I will wait til they have free shipping, but like last nite - I wanted to get a few before their prices changed Feb. 1 so I ordered Sweet Pea, Beverly, F.J. Lindheimer and Nacogcoches [I live 30 minutes from there - and remember seeing this rose and a huge pink growing under that big shed at this old run down motel. I would stop alot and try to identify these roses. I think the big pink was Queen Elizabeth. The yellow, which turned into Nacogdoches, I couldnt figure out unless it was Sunbright, a rose that stays dark yellow].
    ...See More

Antique Rose Emporium Rose Arrived!!! :)

Q

Comments (2)
    Agreeing with Olga---Blush will be so happy to find herself in cool rain, you would do well to plant her now. Everybody looks for ways to get out of Texas in the summer! I live ten minutes from ARE, and temps are in the nineties every day now...almost all activity stops for the summer, except for the earliest and latest part of the day. I've often said that in the summer we ought to reverse our days and nights here. Laura
    ...See More

Magnolia, AR April 5, 2008 Garden Show, tours, plant sale, etc.

Q

Comments (1)
    Hope you all have fun today! ~~Mimi
    ...See More

Antique Rose Emporium Memorial Day Sale ...

Q

Comments (14)
    Of all the antique roses I've grown none is better for cutting than Mrs. B. R. Cant. It's blooms are large and frequently occuring. To my nose it's very fragrant and it's among the healthiest roses out there in terms of disease resistance. The only downside is that the bush can get very large. I grow Natchitoches and dearly love it, but the blooms are small and not long lasting. Plus the color shown on ARE is not accurate. It's a light pink, blooms continually, its clusters of blooms are held high above the foliage, it's healthy, will take some shade, but for cutting ... no. Plus I don't get a fragrance. Of course, it's hard to beat Belinda's Dream for a big pink rose. If you don't have it, go with that one first. The size is more manageable. Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. B. R. Cant on HelpMeFind
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nice choices, Anne Cecilia... don't you feel virtuous helping to keep these good roses available through independent rose nurseries like ARE?

There are a lot of nice ways to cook macaroni. And cabbage, and lentils... and did you know that you can make salads from dandelions and chickweed? And tea from rose hips?

You ARE feeling virtuous, now, aren't you?

Virginia

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

Ingrid, I've ordered from ARE a few times, both on-line and over the phone, and always got my order confirmation through email. They are helpful and nice over the phone, so I think calling them tomorrow would be a good idea. I'm sure they've been busy with so many orders and perhaps inadvertently missed to send you the confirmation. (I assume you checked the spam/junk folder where commercial emails sometimes land.) This time I ordered on Wednesday, the shipment was sent on Friday with an estimated delivery on Wednesday. This timing is similar to Virginia's, because it takes FedEx longer to reach us further away. I think most people who reported receiving their roses by now are from Texas or somewhere nearby in the area.

After seeing your, Virgina's and other's rose lists, it was only my zone that prevented me from going back to ARE and order all these lovely teas, noisettes, ... aahh... I'm very happy with my order though (I was waiting for Ispahan for more than a year) but all this has been *very* contagious.

User thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

I dunno, having confirmation and a tracking number may not be the best thing. At least that's what my computer thinks since I keep hitting the refresh button to see if they have Nashville yet after their loooooong two day layover. Pretty sure I'm going to tackle the poor Fed Ex person once they do arrive. :p

Ordered mine on Monday and saw above someone further away than me has already received their roses.

And thank you guys for the encouragement above. I'm not 80 yet but am a single parent in a new to me home with a to-do list a mile long....there are just not enough hours in a day. :) However I am going to stop just shy of dipping into my grocery budget to order more roses. Not sure the kiddo would like to eat bark and twigs, even if they are sprinkled with dandelions, chickweed, and herbs. *grin*

User thanked Sonic (6b)
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Ingrid, I ordered mine by phone and have not received an email confirmation either. I'm not too worried about it. She told me that because I was in CA my order needed to be inspected by someone before shipping. I think I was told my order would go out on Tuesday, June 6. Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

swamp_rose, here's a reasonably fresh-looking bloom of my "Saluda Musk". This was only the second flower to bloom; the first is already a goner. These are petite flowers, mind you, but bloom in clusters. I'm hoping my allergies clear up so that I can enjoy the fragrance once things really get going...

In England <i>R. moschata</i> doesn't start blooming until late summer. I don't know where your Double Musk will be living, but since you're zone 6, your blooming time may also be late summer. If you're in a hot summer area, like much of the U.S., your plant may get going sooner.

• swamp_rose
    6 years ago

Oh it is just exactly what I was hoping for - thank you so much Virginia! Yes zone 6 or possibly close to 7. I'm in an urban part of Brooklyn, so with all the concrete radiating it's hard to tell exactly. What a lovely, kind of of over-the-top cluster!

User thanked swamp_rose
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

The center of that rose makes it really special looking. Look at all those buds. I can't wait to see them open! Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Thanks so much, Lisa, for that very helpful information. In that case I won't clog up their telephone line with my queries.

vesfl, you're wise to consider your zone when ordering. From every picture I've seen, Ispahan is a very lovely rose. Better to enjoy that one than to contemplate a bunch of expensive but very dead noisettes and tea roses in your garden after the winter season. I have to be similarly careful with my overheated garden, and ignore the many beautiful and desirable roses that I'll never be able to grow.

• Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

No tracking updates since my roses arrived in Nashville on Friday. It's after 6:00pm Monday. My computer hates me because I think I've broken the refresh button. At this rate I could have driven to Nashville and back 10 times.

I think my face is going to melt off..... **hyperventilates into paper bag**

User thanked Sonic (6b)
  • swamp_rose
    6 years ago

I also had to call today and got my tracking number from the order I placed last Friday. Package scheduled to arrive at work on Thursday - the day I take my sweet boy to the orthodontist to get his braces - so not going into work that day! Will have to wait till FRIDAY. Then navigate the 30lb box on the SUBWAY during commute home. Not as much fun as when I purchased my first David Austin - Graham Thomas - at the Union Square farmers market back in 1998 or so. It was a good 3 feet tall with half dozen blooms. DH and I carried it to The NoHo Star for brunch and when the maitre d' came seat us, she asked "party of three?" ;))

User thanked swamp_rose
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's okay, sonic... hitting the 'refresh' button really does make the package get to you more quickly. Or at least it helps you stay in a suitably anticipatory mood until your roses reach you. Not much longer now...

Virginia

• Robin Lemke
    6 years ago

I heard back that my rose will go out tomorrow after inspection and I'll get a tracking number. :)

User thanked Robin Lemke
  • Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Whew, finally an update- Out for Delivery!

Thank you for the dose of logic and sanity Virginia. I guess I get a little nervous when packages sit at a large delivery hub for more than a day. Too many packages have gone permanently missing at such places. It's like those hubs are islands unto themselves...packages go in, but they never come out. :)

I'm sipping coffee now and repeating to myself: "I will not pounce on the Fed Ex person. I will not pounce on the Fed Ex person. I will not....."

User thanked Sonic (6b)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Sonic , where in Nashville are you located ? I live in burns , off 40w . Im currently stalking a heirloom roses package that has been in transit 8 !!!!! Days !

Crazy.

Last rose box I received the delivery guy brought it into my garden for me. Sweet man ! Wouldn't plant them though ;)

User thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Haha, yeah...if only I could get them to dig the holes huh? I'm doing good if I can get them to come up the driveway instead of dumping the box by the entry gate. Kid you not... they have left boxes (melt-able stuff or rain ruin-able items) in the wet grass down there more than once. One person in particular will come up and I make sure I thank him, but the other drivers dump and drive off.

I'm over in the Tri-Cities area, maybe 4 1/2 hours from Nashville? I'm still learning what is where and how far away the bigger cities are. One time I was shipping a quilt to a more southern location and somehow it went to Chicago, from Atlanta, sat for 10 days, then went back to Atlanta and sat for 3 days before it continued on it's journey. 2 full weeks to get 300 miles away! It was a one of a kind irreplaceable gift quilt to someone who had lost her husband made by a group of us who all worked on it. We were sweating for sure. Then there is the time my mitre saw disappeared completely off the face of the earth.....

User thanked Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Oh wow how stressful for you !! One time we had a sub mail man who didn't want to walk to my front door , and left a box on top of my garbage can !! Can you imagine?! I was livid. My garbage man would have taken it for sure. I don't know what his logic was there .

Hope you enjoy your delivery today !! I know I will , assuming it's stil alive ;)

• Robin Lemke
    6 years ago

Oh, I'm waiting with you! I would love to see an update when your rose arrives! I'm just refreshing my email for the confirmation code today. So much waiting... I suppose it gives me time to clear a pot and get ready... *sighs*

User thanked Robin Lemke
  • Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Lily, a garbage can? Wow that's a new one! I had seen on another thread about your Heirloom order, any updates today on it's progress? I really hope it's in good shape when it arrives and thank you.

Robin you too, let us know how things progress along and share pics when they arrive.

-Y'all think I'm stressed over roses, you should see me when I order chicks by mail. :o

User thanked Sonic (6b)
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    6 years ago

I did stalk the Fed Ex guy, good thing too. I had my rose group picnic on Saturday at my house and there were so many cars, he couldn't see my address, I saw him go by and I figured he'd come back from the cul de sack so I stood in the street, lol. Then when he saw the roses in my yard, he slapped his forehead and said he should have known this was the house.

User thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
    6 years ago

Sorry for hijacking a thread about antique rose emporium with my heirloom order ! But I wanted to tell sonic it came , with lots of white growth on it . I see why they defoliate now. Do I pick off all the white or will the green come thru? There's even one bud

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I might leave it be and water and put in shade for a week or so. The leaves will turn green or fall off and the new leaves will be normal.

User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Ingrid, did you receive a FedEx tracking number this afternoon? I received an email from FedEx at precisely 1:02 this afternoon and my roses should arrive Friday. I hope you got one too! Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lilyfinch, was your rose in transit for 8 days? That's a good while for it to be without sunlight, but I think Sheila's right that it will probably defoliate, and then put out normal-looking leaves soon after you ease it back into the sunlight. Did you mention what you ordered?

And, y'all- I hate to mention this, but RU just started their sale. Many nice roses for $12...

Ack!

Virginia

6 years ago

Virginia , it was rokoko :) I hope it does well , it was a nice size plant !

• Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Thanks Lily! I'm going to follow your rose as one of mine had some of this pale growth too. I think transit total time was 7 days, but I will have to go back and check that.

Well, I'm glad to say that I did not pounce on the FedEx person and embarrass myself yesterday. The roses did arrive and appear to be in good shape. The individual packing around each rose held them very securely and the wet newspaper and bag over the pot kept them moist. The dirt did loosen some during transit so I packed it back down and topped it off with a little bit more potting mix. Now it's time to baby them and see how they grow.

Also my box of books arrived.... bonus package day! One of the DA books I received is an older version of his coffee table book with full page pictures of the roses and suitable for a wall or decorative arrangement. Because it's a used library book that I can easily get another one of, I might indeed use it for decoration. The other DA books had plenty of substance about roses and cultivation.

For anyone who, like me, may not have gotten a shipment from ARE before maybe these give you an idea of their roses upon arrival. The first shows the individual cartons they were in inside of the larger box.

User thanked Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Lisa, thanks so much for looking out for me! I have to date (and this is the day after you received yours) received no notification of any kind. Naturally I panicked and gave them a call. I didn't get an explanation as to why I hadn't been contacted but she assured me that my roses had been sent and should be arriving on Friday.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My roses arrived yesterday, and you know I unpacked them lickety-split, dumped some extra dirt in the pots and dragged them out to get some of the rain we've been getting...

A nice welcome for them.

Virginia

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

I got mine earlier today. I don't think it's possible to improve on ARE's packaging. They brought it to perfection. Only Peggy Martin was slightly stressed but with some quick TLC, she recovered within one hour. That gal is a survivor, indeed.

User thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • Robin Lemke
    6 years ago

RdL has arrived and been freed from her box!

User thanked Robin Lemke
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sonic, your roses look good- mine also had a bit of pale growth from being in transit for a week, but I expect they'll be greening up with the sunshine we're getting today (we have an "extreme", level 11, UV alert).

vesfl, I agree that ARE has great packing for their large plants. Look Ma- no staples!

Robin, your 'Rosette de Lizy' looks like she's ready to refoliate, then take on the world. It's funny- most of the roses I get do drop their leaves from the stress of shipping/ being transplanted, so I guess the defoliation process isn't really such a problem with roses that have China "blood", so to speak.

Ingrid, did you get your roses? To coin a phrase, "enquiring minds want to know"...

Virginia

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon. They are huge compared to what I'm accustomed to receiving. What a size difference from tiny bands. They did have all leaves stripped as per CA Ag laws, but that's ok. I can't imagine how great they must have looked with all their "clothes on". They both actually already grew a few tiny new leaves in route. I'm sure they will do great. I will go out and take a picture. It is sprinkling here right now. I can't believe it! Isn't this great, Ingrid? I know it's only a little, but every bit helps and it's going to be in the 90's next week. I do hope you are getting some of this too.

Well, I have a small "Millie related delay". I will hit submit and clean it up and then go out and take the picture. Here's my hint Virginia; My two roses both have rather unfortunate names, IMO. :) Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Ok, I'm back to take some pictures. This little kitten was so bored in an isolation unit for so long that she developed a habit of playing with her dry food. She takes each piece out, one by one, and chases them around the house. She will empty the bowl out this way, and I had to clean them all up, hence the delay.

Crepuscule, with nice growth and one especially fat straight cane.

Notice the new leaves that had already grown in the box during the trip here.

The second rose I received is (little) White Pet. I'm happy to have this smallish, shade tolerant, (reportedly) bloom machine, inspite of the "cutsie" name.

White Pet also has a few new leaves and also some brand new growth from the roots. You can just see it beginning in the photo below.

This is my first ever order from Antique Rose Emporium and I'm really impressed with my roses. Thanks for the heads up about the sale, Virginia. I SO desperately needed some more! lol Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Lisa, my little one used to do the same with his food and then pick it up between his paws while sitting on his haunches to it eat it. I miss that. Your baby is a sweetie. : )

Your roses look pretty good too! I loved my order which I put in during the Fall sale for May delivery. I hope they have that one again. I went a little crazy, but there are a few I didn't order. ; )

User thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • swamp_rose
    6 years ago

Mine arrived Thursday, but I had to wait until Friday to get them from work. Torture! Roxburghii (right) looks pretty good - growth habit is dense - I'm a bit nervous about this one, but am determined to give it a go. I got one mistake - had ordered Lavender Pink Parfait, but they sent Lavender Lassie. It's fine tho - I'll either keep it or bring it as present to the Lake House we rent every August.

Lisa, last year I got a band of Crepuscule from Long Ago Roses, and its doing really well - by the looks of your plant, you'll get flowers in no time!

User thanked swamp_rose
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Yay! Glad to hear it! Off to a country and western concert! Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, you might enjoy saying 'Crepuscule' more if you put on an Inspector Clousseau accent when you say it? Heck, that might also work for Zee Leetle Wite Payt? (I hope it doesn't bite...)

Your plants look great, btw...

Virginia

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Nice way to say them! When I ordered the woman said Crepuscule in a slightly better way, but I can't remember what part she accented. It's frustrating! I remember certain things so clearly, other very recent things are just..... gone. Last night I went to a concert with my two sons. I didn't feel like it, but Josh was so pleased to bring me. I have been told about 10 times who we saw. I've known his songs for years. Somehow his name won't stick. This morning I can't come up with his name, just like I can't remember how the woman at ARE said Crepuscule in such an inoffensive way....... Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Swamp rose, yours look great. I'm jealous of all those leaves! Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • Robin Lemke
    6 years ago

Swamp rose, can I ask what the other roses are that you got or is it two of each? Lisa, I love country music but have never been to a concert. I'd love to sometime! Hope it was fun even if you can't remember who it was. The other night I saw a show with Marlee Marlin in it and couldn't remember her name to save my life. Finally looked it up or I'd have had no sleep for trying to remember. I feel you! ~Robin

User thanked Robin Lemke
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Alright Robin, I looked it up online because it IS driving me crazy. I'm too embarrassed to ask my kids again. By typing it here, I can look back on it. It was Toby Keith. There I feel much better now. We had free box tickets, so it was too good to pass up.

Must I wait until my roses are fully leafed out before planting them? I wonder if I put a plastic milk case over them after planting for dappled shade, if it would be alright. Does anyone know? Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Somewhere I read (probably from Moses) that you could prop a board up to give shade needed to a new plantling. Don't see why some object wouldn't work like maybe even an overturned laundry basket, but I would be concerned about a solid sided object like a milk carton holding in too much heat if it's hot outside. If I read that wrong and it's a case like a crate type of thing I would think that might be a good idea. I've taken several larger/taller potted plants and put them around new plantings to create dappled shade.

User thanked Sonic (6b)
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Yes, I mean a crate. Sorry, dairy girl here. We always call them cases:) Lisa

User thanked Lisa Adams
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, I don't doubt that quite a bit of the fog is related you your illness, but I'll bet some of it is just normal. I find that if I try to hard to remember something, the neurons go on strike and refuse to fire, but if I can just relax and focus on something else for a bit, the neurons will sometimes put down their picket signs and go back to work somehow...

I think a milk case/crate would be a good idea if you really want to get your babies planted. I'm assuming it isn't so hot yet that there will be heat stress + planting stress coming quickly after travel stress? I can't recall if you have hot summers, or fairly mild ones there... all the zone tells me is that your winters are not really winters...

:>)

Virginia

• Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

Lol, no it is I who have cartons/jugs on the brain! I recently took a bunch of empty gallon water jugs and cut the tops off (but left the handles) to make some quick small temporary planters for some little perennial bare root plants. And I've used many a jug as individual frost covers so I immediately saw case and thought of carton and how I use them. Oops.

And GO dairy girls! I used to have dairy goats and made cheese and fudge. :)

User thanked Sonic (6b)
  • Robin Lemke
    6 years ago

Well, I wasn't aware of that rule and when I got Lady of the Mist last year I planted her the same day with no leaves and she did fine. Apparently plants must be defoliated when they come to WA.

And yay for Toby Keith. He's a lot of fun!

User thanked Robin Lemke
  • swamp_rose
    6 years ago

Hello Robin! Yes, the other roses are Gabrielle Privat and Baby Faurex - suitable for container polyanthas. Most of the leaves on all roses have come off, except Roxburghii - only half came off. It has very interesting bark! There's some new growth budding on all four. Roxburghii was fairly root bound - about 6 inches of roots comin' out the bottom, so I potted her up into a next-size-up nursery pot. The others I'll wait on for a week or so. Very exciting!

User thanked swamp_rose
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

It's still on the mild side here, so maybe I will go ahead and plant. I am tired, though. Toby Keith was fun! I'm a homebody, but it was nice to go out with my sons. I think a milk case will help. Lisa

6 years ago

Virginia, I did receive my roses on Friday, as promised, also leafless like Lisa's, although Mlle. Franziska Kruger had sprouted a few red ones during transit. They both look very nice, and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux is already in the ground since the weather has been cool, although I didn't get the rain that Lisa had. My quandary is whether to plant the other one now or wait till fall since it's supposed to heat up shortly, and I seriously have no idea where to put her. Even for Jules I had to uproot a large pelargonium, but one does become rather ruthless when it comes to finding places for roses where there are none.