SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

is there a really good post on air layering that I can't find?

Hello!

I have been searching for about an hour hoping to find perhaps the most complete/classic explanation of air layering, and I've found bits and pieces, which is great ... but does anyone know if there is a one-stop-shopping thread/post on this topic? I am probably using the wrong search terms.

In particular, I am curious to know how deeply to cut into the stem... how I will know if I have cut deeply enough (ie, what color is cambium and do I want to get rid of all of it?...) and how long a piece of the stem do I need to remove the bark/cadmium/? Then I gather I sprinkle on rooting hormone, wrap it in damp moss, plastic, and then foil?

I know there is also the option of doing banding/light elimination with electrical tape for 3 weeks first. (Or, is it "instead of?") Or, using a tourniquet. I would be interested to know which option or combo is most foolproof... even though I am not always as patient as I should be. But, I like Al's concept of plant time. (It is almost June and I am behind already on like 5 other plants ... but that's another topic.)

It is probably folly... but there is a Chrysler Imperial rose plant that shot off this long branch that is very straight and which seems to not be a sucker bc the flowers still smell good... and it's calling me. But I've never done this before.

All suggestions appreciated. Oh also, should this post go in Container Gardening instead?

Thanks!!!

Comments (17)