SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

For those of you who do Air BnB and VRBO with your houses

writersblock (9b/10a)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

As some of you know, I've been looking for a small house to downsize to, but have given up for the moment as the real estate market is getting pretty insane. Most of the houses I would be interested in are getting bought up and turned into short term vacay rentals via VRBO and Air BnB.

Now, I totally understand that if you can buy a house for little enough this makes total sense. The house I would really like to have is unlikely to come back on the market because the current owner, who lives next door to it and only paid $150K for it back during the slump, is currently grossing about $65 to 70K a year on it. (He has two short-term rentals and grosses $170K a year.) But he's able to do that because it has the biggest pool in town, is cute as can be and in a great location, and he has an in at the local hospitals, so it mostly rents to families of people who come here for surgery/rehab, which gives him year-round income in a very seasonal area. He doesn't take rentals shorter than a month, at a minimum of $1K a week off-season.

This I get. What I don't get is that lately I'm seeing houses that sell for $425K being put into action as rentals at, say, $130 or less a night, in an area where the average owner can't count on much more than being fairly well rented at the height of the season and nothing much the rest of the year. That's only about $5K more than the tax bill, if that. So maybe enough to cover taxes and utilities. Maybe.

Can those of you who do this explain to me what I'm missing here? There must be something, because everything is getting snatched up at any price.

Comments (16)