SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anonymousaccount2003

URGENT! Which Samsung- WA48H7400 Aquajet / WA50K8600 Activewash / none

7 years ago

URGENT! Which Samsung - WA48H7400 Aquajet / WA50K8600 Activewash / or neither

Our washer from 1992 that has been a great washer and I loved has finally died. Repair will be too much money compared to buying a new washer.

I was in Costco tonight and they had 2 floor models on clearance . . .
1. Samsung Aquajet WA48H7400AW/AA regular price $999 clearance for $449
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WA48H7400AW.html
2. Samsung Activewash WA50K8600AV/AA regular price $1029 clearance for $599
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WA50K8600AV.html

I'm looking for any kind of opinions on these two washers and which one I should get. Or should I not get either of them ? My main criteria is that we need a washer that will wash a king size comforter. With the cubic foot size stated, I believe both of them should be able to pretty easily ? I like that I could run an extra rinse on my current washer. I cannot tell if these have second rinse or not.

Both of these washers have many good reviews but also some bad reviews which REALLY scares me . . .
I don't think the high efficiency is getting my laundry clean.
Everything comes out wrinkled
I have to adjust the clothes every time I wash them because it gets off balance
It does not fill with enough water to properly wash or rinse.
It takes over 70 minute with very little water, all my close look very dingy
The clothes do not come clean
The loads become uneven all the time - too big, too small- it doesn't matter, it just can't stay balanced
All rinses are in cold water, even the allergen and sanitize options
I began taking my clothes to a laundry mat because it was just plain FASTER. It didn't want to fill, it wouldn't spin due to off balance, I guess. Every time I went to adjust the load, it wanted to start the wash ALL OVER AGAIN!
This machine uses very little water to wash my clothes.
The clothes are not coming clean
This machine takes too long to cycle.
I think the absence of the agitator causes the loads to tangle. With the exception of doing a light load of whites (bras and underclothing), it almost always ends up off balance during the spin cycle
The washer twists the clothes very badly. I was not expecting that because there is no agitator, but it still twists the clothes.
It doesn't add very much water to the load, no matter how many articles of clothing you have in it. Clothes do not get clean and there's still soap in our clothes when the cycle is finished.
When set to Cold, the machine switches to HOT water and never goes back to cold water
It doesn't wash the clothes, its impossible to get them clean in about 2" of water. What is on top, stays on top, and comes out as dry as it went in!
The machine constantly says the load is out of balance even if only 5 dress shirts are in it.
Machine does not fill with enough water to circulate the clothes. Dirty socks placed on top are still on top and not clean. Very hard on clothes and shreds them quickly probably due to not enough water.
The washer will not spin out if it can not balance the load, so instead, it fills up and spins, fills up and spins, again and again and again. it ends up using a ridiculous amount of water.

Machine often gets off balance whether load is large or small
I have to constantly check the water level for every wash! I've tried calibrating and every "tip" I can find online! It does not fill up with enough water! I have to put water in before each load by hand in order to make the load heavier so it will use the correct amount of water
If the huge tub isn't nearly full, why doesn't the machine have enough power to spin the water out of whatever is in it?
It barely fills up with any water. I put in 3 pairs of jeans and a few tshirts. Anything in the middle did not get wet and was totally dry when I pulled it out to put in the dryer.
I have to use the 'bedding' setting to get any amount of water into the tub. Per the manual, this is all you can do or use the water that comes out of the 'sink'. This sink water comes out cold. there is no way to change the temp
Everything comes out in a twisted knot. it is almost impossible to get the close untangled after the load is done.
It does not seem to spin enough water out of the clothes on the high setting. It needs to be run again on extra high.
I don't like the lack of control that you have on how much water you put in each load!
There is a button to turn a chime melody on that plays when the load is complete, unfortunately the volume is so low you can’t hear it in another room.
I got tired of copying & pasting snippets from the bad reviews, but you get the picture.

So, help me GW folks ... are these just a few folks that got lemons and I should snatch up one of these washers (which one?), or are there some bad issues with both of these washers and I should just walk away ?

Comments (15)

• 7 years ago

Our current (dead) machine is TL, as are both of these Samsungs.

We have two 2011 Frigidaire Affinity FL washers at our vacation rental property and have not been happy with them at all. They just don't get the clothes very clean. Plus we cannot keep that front gasket on the door from being completely gross. Yes, we leave the door cracked between washes (for 8 months of the year at least, no telling what the renters do). But even during the 8 months it's gross gross gross. The Affinity has pretty much scared us away from FL'ers.

I really do not care how much water the washer uses. It's fine with me if they use 50 gallons or 5 gallons as long as the clothes are clean ! :-P

But I hear you ... one vote No for the Samsungs. Any suggestions on what we should consider ? We are not in the market for a $1000 or $1500 washer. BUT, I am not opposed to buying a used washer on Craigslist that started at that price originally. It does need to be able to wash a king comforter !

• 7 years ago

I would never consider a Samsung. Believe the reviews. Do you want a front loader or top loader. What else do you wash besides a king comforter? What space are the machines going into (closet, basement, etc.)? People much smarter than me will be glad to point you in the right direction.

• 7 years ago

Just regular clothes, sheets, towels. We don't have especially dirty jobs or anything like that. Washer will be going in a laundry closet on first floor. I think we are fairly heavily leaning towards top loader because of our bad experience with our FL at the vacation house so far.

• 7 years ago

I have no advice on which washer would fit a king size comforter. I do know Speed Queen gets a lot of love if you want a non-HE top loader. I would stay away from all HE top loaders, they don't get positive reviews on this site.

Did you use hot and warm washes when you had a front loader? Also if for 2 months a year a renter was using the machine and you didn't clean it after you will get a build-up of gunk that will only continue to grow if the renter used poor laundry habits. The same thing will happen in top loaders if only cold or cool washes are done.

• 7 years ago

I definitely use hot washes for socks, underwear, sheets, towels, dishcloths, cleaning cloths, etc. I would guess 2 out of every 4-6 washes are in hot. It's fairly rare that I use warm however. How should I clean my front loaders after renters ? I tried wiping off the black gunk, but it has stained the rubber door gasket thing, the black won't come off.

• 7 years ago

None.

• 7 years ago

Look at the new Maytag top load 4.7 cu.ft agitator washer. There's videos of it on you tube. Seems to wash well and fills with plenty of water.

• 7 years ago

By the way, I might mention there were mostly good reviews. Way more than the bad reviews. But when I read the bad reviews they really scared me. Sounds like most all of you are agreeing to stay away from these 2 washers, even at these clearance prices.

• 7 years ago

Samsung is the only washer that I know of that had a manufacture recall due to exploding machines. They make great tv's but customer service stinks.

• 7 years ago

If you really want the one a Costco you can always return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

• 6 years ago

LG top loads had the exploding problem first. Then recently Samsung. Just my opinion, but I don't think you can load any brand with mattress pads, pillows etc and use a Normal cycle and 1100 rpm spin speed with out some kind of problem. Go to you tube and you will see lots of exploded machines both LG and Samsung.

• 6 years ago

Nope, I'm not set on the Costco ones at all. Based on these responses and the reviews we have read, I believe we might be better off finding something else.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had a Samsung frontloader (the 419) and I loved it but when it turned 5 it basically fell apart. Spider and bearings went and the pump went twice before I moved it to the garage. I won't ever buy Samsung again. Oh... I had the matching dryer and in the 6 years it was in use, the heating element had to be replaced 4 times, the control board twice and the belt 3 times. Ridiculous.

• 6 years ago

I watched a YouTube video today of a new Samsung top loader. Just a plain wash plate washer but with 4 water level. Guy ran it on extra large and I thought it was going to over flow. Model#wa40j3000aw. Kirk Rivas is who did it. He does different machines quite a bit. I'm not promoting Samsung but it filled as full or more than SQ.