SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

I'll be smelling like a Rose. You?

Oakley
6 years ago

While I was ordering new bottles of Yardley of London hand soap on Amazon, I looked at their other products and ordered Yardley's English Rose cologne. Which led me to order Taylor of London Talcum Powder, Rose Luxury.

Taylor's powder had better reviews than Yardley's Rose powder.

BTW, I know what to do and what not to do with talc. And I never inhale. ;)

I remembered how good Yardley Rose smelled when I was younger and when a reviewer said it was good for older women, well, it sold me. lol.

Do you buy new scents for summer?

Comments (41)

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

I bought Caswell-Massey Rosewater and Yves Rocher Lily of the Valley spray. I love a light body spray for the summer.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I don't usually wear perfumes or colognes-- not in 16 yr. I do like scented powders. I used to love Crabtree & Evelyn's spring rain but it's been discontinued. I have regular baby powder, lavender baby powder and Pecksniff's of London's lavender and white tea.

I do have a bottle of B&BW juniper breeze.. but I don't really care for B&BW since they dropped the garden mint scent.

I should really check out some of the new scents at crabtree & evelyn. Some of them look like the kind of thing I'd like.

• Related Discussions

What does Tamora smell like to you?

Q

Comments (5)
    I thought anise to. When I said that DH said he thought it smelled like a nephew. Now you know what I'm dealing with... Devon, I know what you mean about color subtleties. I thought it was apricot, but these last blooms were more of a medium coral pink, possibly because of the cooler weather. And when the blooms shatter, the petals seem to be multi-colored, almost opalish.
    ...See More

Peonies That Smell Like Roses

Q

Comments (1)
    Ruth, since there are literally hundreds of Peony cultivars, you might have better luck doing a Google search for "heirloom, fragrant Peonies." Hidden Springs Flower Farm has a lovely collection of heirloom Peonies although I can't vouch for them. I just like to go there to look at the pretty pictures. :-) Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Springs Flower Farm
    ...See More

They don't smell like Roses !!!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Well Marion is should keep them away from the house,certainly a blessing when you are cooking. I find if I am cooking bulk to go in the freezer they just stick them selves to the Insect screens. I have never seen or smelt that plant so many THANKS for showing me from so far away. Certainly saves me smelling it from close up....Cheers..MM.
    ...See More

Fish emulsion/alfalfa tea, want to put on roses, smells like vinegar

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a similar question. I made some alfalfa tea about a week ago and could not put it on the roses because it rained for 10 days. Now the beds are too wet to apply any more water. Do you think this alfalfa tea would be bad to use after it has brewed for over 2 weeks. Suebelle
    ...See More
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 years ago

Only cologne I wear is Chanel No. 5, but I do like "smelly" soaps. I have some lavender soap from France and some Greek olive oil soap right now. The olive oil has no scent, so it isn't as much fun.

• tinam61
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My thing right now is Mrs. Meyers cleaning supplies in the Lilac scent, which is only available seasonally. I bought several bottles of hand soap, dish soap and cleaner . . . off topic a bit, but I kinda wish they had a body spray. LOL

I have a lime/coconut body mist that I like for summer. I can't remember when I've last used powder, I never buy it. My favorite floral fragrance is jasmine. AND, I always try to buy a body cream or lotion in the same fragrance as perfumes/body sprays.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I am a perfume lover and have fragrances for every season and love Fragrantica.

• User
    6 years ago

For a long time I stopped wearing perfume. Once in a while I'd wear Ralph by RL. A few years ago someone gifted me Victoria by VS. I finally opened recently and it smells lovely so I've been wearing that. In an Ulta magazine the other month there was a sample of Ariana Grande's Sweet Like Candy perfume and I'm debating if I want to bother purchasing that one. I'm not a fan of anything about her but think the scent is wonderful. It's a 'limited edition' though and I can't stand when companies do that.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Shee! I wore Victoria for years. I thought it was discontinued. I loved it!!

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I don't wear fragrance, but I enjoy spritzing the pillows and towels with L'Occitane's Lemon Verbena scent.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Funky, I usually buy B&BW hand soap for the kitchen and bathrooms. Actually they're my favorite because of the little gritty stuff in the liquid.

Cyn, the only perfume that smelled horrid on me was Chanel No. 5. lol When I put it on in the store I liked it but once I brought it home, something happened. I gave it to my SIL and she was so happy she started crying!

Fun, I came very close to ordering one of the Rose perfumes from L'Occitane tonight. I have their Rose hand lotion, in fact I'm wearing it right now. Love it!

If I'm not happy with the spray I ordered I'll buy L'Occitane's.

• chispa
    6 years ago

I prefer to have as few scents around the house as possible. All my lotions and soaps are unscented.

The only perfume I have ever liked is Cabochard by Gres. My mother used to wear it too. Can't be found any longer, but I stocked up years ago and stil have some that I only wear a few times per year. When I was younger and used to go out to bars/nightclubs, I would always get approached by men and women asking for the name of that perfume.

My issue is trying to keep DH and the teen boys from buying soaps and products that have very strong scents. The worst was my older teen with "natural" beard products that made me gag and stank up his room and the rest of the house. Took me 3 weeks to air his room out after his last visit from college.

• maggiepatty
    6 years ago

I can't tolerate scents the way I used to, though I still wear perfume I have to be careful as some of my long-time favorites now give me a terrible headache. I usually wear Touch by Fred Hayman, but it is really a winter scent in my mind so a change for summer might be nice.

I wish Crabtree and Evelyn still made their Carnation scent. It was my favorite in college and I have many happy memories of it and think it works in all seasons.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Scents are the bane of my existence. I wish everything and everyone were scent free, because as good as it smells to you, it's a breathing problem/allergy/asthma to many others. There's my bah humbug post for the day. ;-)

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

Andreap, that song is one of the first things I learned to play on the piano.

• sableincal
    6 years ago

Andreap - My mother sang that lovely song to me over and over when I was little, and I sang it many times to my DGS when he was an infant. It is a classic!

• andreap
    6 years ago

Thanks, I just went to piano and figured it out! A magic beautiful song.

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

I used to love Aliage Sport Fragrance. Does anyone remember that? I wore it for years but then they changed the formula and it doesn't smell good to me at all. I remember it as such a lovely, crisp, light smell.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

that will happen only when the fairies sing."?

I learned that song as a child but we learned it with "when the angels sing."

I'm lucky there's a woman at our local green market who uses her own roses for solid perfumes and lotions. I love the fact that they don't have any other scent blended in. I also miss the old Crabtree and Evelyn single flower scents, but even the few they still sell don't smell anything like they used to.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would love to sing White Coral Bells to my DGD because she loves fairies and I began a fairy garden for her, but I can't sing those high notes! Maybe if I practice and fudge it some? lol.

I suppose this is on topic, fairies and all. But she told me something so sad. She's only six, and when we were putting her fairy garden together a couple of weeks ago in her front flower bed, she told me none of the other girls believe in fairies. I told her just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there.

Then she asked a sweet question. "Do the fairies come inside when I'm asleep?" Of course, I said! I need to learn a fairy song. :)

• User
    6 years ago

I stopped wearing perfume years ago. Still have a few essential oils that I might dab on a couple times a year.

I like the Thymes gingerbread hand soap & hand lotion and splurge on handmade bar soap from a friend who lives nearby. Her website is down right now, but here's a link to her FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/BonSavonSoapery/?pnref=lhc

• User
    6 years ago

I rarely wear perfume, but do like lightly scented lotions. I don't necessarily think they have to be pricey, either. Right now I'm enjoying Suave Soothing with Aloe. It has a slight honeysuckle scent (at least to my nose) and doesn't linger or overpower at all. I'm really sensitive to scents that are too strong, and I hate when people over-douse themselves in the office especially.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I stick to Jo Malone and generally only wear the scented body lotion in 'my' fragrances - Amber & Lavender or Lime, Basil Mandarin which I like for summer. Another new favorite is sea salt and wood sage.

Oakley, I'm afraid the rose scent is one that really bothers me, as does anything that is really strong. Fresh roses don't bother me, just the perfume scent.

andreap, we used to sing that song when I was in brownies and girl scouts. I think it was one we sang as a 'round'. That's when one group would start, and then the next group would come in, with the voices blending.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    6 years ago

I avoid scents during the summer as I am often out gardening and have no desire to attract biting bugs. I do like some of the scented powders put out by Perlier, such as their orange blossom although I have not ordered it in a while. I should check to make sure it is still offered.

• User
    6 years ago

I'm afraid the rose scent is one that really bothers me, as does anything that is really strong. Fresh roses don't bother me, just the perfume scent.

Me too, unfortunately. I bought the Yardley English Rose perfume on one of my trips to England, and it ended up giving me such a massive headache whenever I wore it that I had to toss it. Made me sad.

• mrrogerscardigan
    6 years ago

I don't always wear perfume. But when I do, I prefer L'Occitane Lemon Verbena. Stay fragrant, my friends.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Stay fragrant, my friends? Or have a heart for people who can't breathe when they are near you and stop using fragrance! Really, I don't understand how people can learn that other people can't breathe easily if they wear scent, but continue to wear it?

Ok, I'll stop now.

• mrrogerscardigan
    6 years ago

I was being glib but I actually agree with you, Oly. :)

It never used to bother me, but as I get older I almost never wear perfume. The Lemon Verbena is a light, clean scent in my opinion, but I can't handle anything stronger. My standard "fragrance" is that of Cetaphil bar soap.

Those sample strips in the magazines belong in a basket of deplorables.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I do feel for you Oly, and if I worked in an office with you I wouldn't wear anything you could smell but I'm gong to keep wearing them when you're not around.

• User
    6 years ago

Olychick, never heard of The Most Interesting Man in the World? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Interesting_Man_in_the_World

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Cindy, nope never heard of it -so it went over my head :-)

Bumble, I appreciate your consideration about it. But I am speaking in more general terms...there are many, many people like me - and many more people worse off than me whose enjoyment of life and ability to breathe freely is impacted by the simple fact that people insist on wearing fragrance and purchasing scented items.

Scent is a totally unnecessary "luxury" that people can live without, but others can't as easily live WITH! So, I was just observing that it's truly puzzling to me that folks would deliberately do something that is easily stopped/eliminated that would make many other people's lives improve immensely.

(obviously, I wasn't ready to stop as I stated above).

• maddielee
    6 years ago

How long do you smell the scent you apply to yourself?

I know I can do a quick spray of my "l'air du temps" and smell it on me for a very short time. Maybe under an hou?

Can you smell what you apply throughout the day?

• chispa
    6 years ago

Remember when the sample ladies at Bloomingdales's and Macy's would hound you to try a new fragrance. I used to hate them!

They seem a lot less pushy these days, probably due to more allergies in the general population.

• jmck_nc
    6 years ago

Olychick, I am with you. Same issues. I once had to send my mother home from my house to wash because she came in a cloud of perfume. There is a woman in one of my workout classes that I can't stand near due to the scent of her hair oil. My best friend loves those plug in scent/ room fresheners. As soon as I walk in her house I unplug them! She is understanding but doesn't think of it in advance. It is a real problem for me and many others, but we are a minority, so I just do what I can to protect myself.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is the current fave, but I usually only use the body wash and the body lotion. Creed Love in White is my go-to for dress up.

• indygo
    6 years ago

I like Ambre Essence a lot. It's a mix of essential oils in a roll-on, very subtle and clean, and it doesn't seem to provoke allergies. Once in a while I'll wear a bit of Coco by Chanel.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Maddielee, every perfume is different on it's longevity, how long the smell lasts, and it's sillage, how far it projects from the place of application. These factors vary wildly and in general, the reason many people hate perfume is because of wearers who spray too much of a sillage bomb. There are perfumes that quickly turn into a skin scent, and can only be smelled by holding that area to the nose. Others leave a radiance of anything from a foot to clearing a room to lingering for weeks.

Knowing when and how to apply perfume and choosing the appropriate fragrances for the occasion is part of the responsibility of wearing perfume.

However, there are people who want to "make a statement and be thought a bad ass" others act inoffensively.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

My SO can't smell so the impetus for wearing perfume isn't there as much for me, plus I work outside in nature and do not want to attract stinging biting insects. And don't go out that often. I miss someone saying to me, "gee you smell nice" but that won't happen with my SO. So I indulge my love of floral, woodsy and herbal scents by using scented soaps and lotions. I stick to cornstarch baby powder though. I love rose scents and L'Occitaine is supposed to be one of the most long lasting. Rose scent is notoriously short lived in perfume.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

I only use Jo Malone, because to me the scents don't smell "perfumey." When I was in London last month, I bought a new one -- nectarine blossom & honey. My favorite one ever, though, is wild fig & cassis. I also have grapefruit, orange blossom....maybe I prefer to smell like food than flowers!

I want to find the Mrs Meyer lilac products! I'm allergic to the real thing but love the scent.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

I like Jo Malone's scents, but I don't often wear scent. I have a very keen sense of smell, and my hair products, moisturizer and cosmetics all have a scent. If I add in perfume, it is an olfactory cacophony.

ETA - I have a sampler set, and Nectarine is my fave, too!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I wear perfume for me although it is nice when others appreciate it. I choose my fragrance as thoughtfully as my clothes or jewelry, probably more so and spray myself before bed so I can smell something good all night.

There are many long lasting roses, Montale's Deep Roses last all day as do most of his perfumes and he has quite a few roses. Guerlains Nahema, a complex rose, lasts all day.

For those who are interested in perfumes, the message forums at Fragrantica are great and particularly the board New to the World of Fragrance.

Sorry for being pedantic, but this is a favorite topic.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jo Malone is one of my favorites also.

Chispa, I read the other day some perfume/makeup counters are getting rid of the ladies who work there.

Oly, I know where you're coming from. I'm asthamatic so I only wear a light dose of spray. One time in my 40's a friend and I were going shopping. While in her car I was coughing non-stop. I even had my cough medicine with codeine with me. I took a swig and the cough still didn't stop. When we got to the mall and got out of the car, the coughing stopped. It wasn't even bad on our way home either. It took me years to figure out it was the cologne we were both wearing with the windows up! lol.

I always make sure no one can smell what I'm wearing unless they're about a foot from me.

My favorites are light florals.