SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shereenicole1

Is my Peperomia Golden Gate dying??

queen-hermit
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

About 12 days ago, I purchased a peperomia 'golden gate' from Walmart for $5 that seemed relatively healthy (especially for Walmart's standards).

I watered it that first day, then read the little tag, which specified to only water it again once the top inch of soil has dried.

3 days ago, I asked my mom to check on the plant, and she said the soil seemed dry, so we watered it again, this time with Miracle Gro plant food mixed in. That was nine days between watering, so it seemed right.

Yesterday, I noticed two of the stalks seemed droopy. They seemed like they were bending out of the pot. So I propped them up with straws and thought nothing of it.

This morning, I noticed the stalks had straightened back up, but a handful of leaves had fallen off. Six to be exact. Four by themselves, and two that came off when I lightly touched them.

And I just don't understand. They look SO HEALTHY. They feel rubbery and strong just like when I first got the plant. The whole thing looks healthy.

I live in Georgia, so it's been sunny everyday. The plant sits in a sort of southwest-facing window with bright light all day. The pot has drainage holes, so I really don't think it's holding any excess water. The house also gets pretty hot with no air conditioning, probably 83-93 degrees daily for the past week.

Did I overwater it? Is it rotting?

Is the heat in my house killing it?

Is it just natural shedding?

Where do I go from here?
Any suggestion would be helpful! I've never owned a peperomia before, so this is all new to me!

Here's a photo! Sorry the quality is so terrible, but I snapped it quickly on my tablet.

I'd hate to lose such a cute babe after such a short amount of time.

Comment (1)