SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sas95_gw

Damaged artwork: What would you do

sas95
6 years ago

Several months ago when I was on vacation I bought a painting from a gallery. It wasn't the Mona Lisa, but it wasn't cheap.

When I received the piece, it had been damaged in transit. Not severely so, but the painting, which is on a wood panel, had a smashed corner and the panel had a crack around an inch long (it is a large painting).

The gallery was extremely professional in handling the matter. They said to send it back and the artist would work on repairing it. They would send me pictures of the repair, and if I wanted the painting I'd get it back. If not, they'd refund me in full.

Today I got the pictures of the repair, and from what I could see the artist did a nice job. I think I want the painting. My question is, should I be asking for a discount? The gallery has already refunded me the shipping costs (a few hundred dollars), but I was wondering if you all thought that by virtue of the fact that it had been damaged and repaired I should be paying something less for it. Or not? I don't wan't to be a jerk about this, but if the painting is worth something less because of the previous damage and I should be getting a discount, I want to ask for it.

Any thoughts?

Comments (11)