SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Organic Peruvian cacao powder, for ice cream

Lars/J. Robert Scott
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I bought some Navitas Cacao Powder fairly recently, and I used it for the second time this week to make chocolate almond Amaretto ice cream. Normally, I use hazelnuts and Frangelico instead of almonds, and so I have not made it this way for a while. I also used bittersweet chocolate in the recipe, but I almost always do that. Anyway, to me the flavor is a tiny bit bitter, and I am wondering whether this is from the raw organic cacao or from the almonds. I know it's not from the bittersweet chocolate, as the hazelnut ice cream never has this bitter flavor. I added a few grains of salt to the recipe, but when I use Dutch processed cocoa and semisweet chocolate, I omit the salt altogether. I thought a few grains of salt might be needed to counteract the slight bitter flavor of the cacao. I never add more than 1/16 tsp of salt, as I do not want any salt flavor in the ice cream, and if I use 1/8 tsp, I can taste the salt.

Do you have any experience with the raw organic Peruvian cacao? I read in some reviews that it has high levels of cadmium, but since I use so little of it, I don't think I will get enough to do damage. BTW, I used 3 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, 1 cup milk, 2 cups cream, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp cacao powder, 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, and 1/16 tsp salt. (This is from memory and could be slightly off.) The recipe method is exactly the same as for making a creme Anglaise, and I added 3 Tbsp Amaretto at the end before chilling the custard and 2/3 cup toasted unsalted almonds, chopped, toward the end of the freezing period. I think I may go back to hazelnuts instead of almonds. I did not blanch the almonds, as I bought the already toasted from Trader Joe's, which is also where I bought the bittersweet chocolate. I sometimes blanch the hazelnuts, but I've decided that it's better to toast them and then rub skins off with a towel.

I gave some of the ice cream to the owner of the bakery where I get free bread, and he told me that he likes bittersweet chocolate, and so I doubt whatever bitter flavor I detect with bother him. He was very impressed that I made home-made ice cream, but I think this is extremely easy to do, especially now that I have a compressor machine.

Comments (13)