SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Advice on dealing with delayed possession

weedyacres
6 years ago

I'm advising an employee who's buying his first house.

Pertinent details: purchase contract calls for closing within 45 days, possession upon closing, $100/day damages for delayed possession.

Closing was dragging out due to inspection issues, so they signed an amendment that extended closing to 4/21. Seller needed funds from closing to close on a house they're buying, so they also agreed to extend possession to 5/18, with Seller paying my guy a month's mortgage payment.

In the meantime, my guy vacated his rental so realtor has been paying for him+wife+toddler to stay in a hotel through 5/17. Realtor is dual agent for both houses in the chain.

Earlier this week realtor tells my guy that Seller's closing has been delayed, so possession will be delayed, probably a week. Suggests that my guy can stay at her house (!?!?). My guy wants to get into his new house.

My advice to him yesterday was to call the realtor and calmly insist that the Seller vacate by 5/18 as agreed. If she protested, not to let their problem become his problem. The sellers can put their stuff in a moving van and move into a hotel (or the realtor's house) until they close.

His phone call went to voice mail, with no return. He sent a very long text which was not responded to.

Advice?

Comments (11)