SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdub1234

L-shaped kitchen help!

Jdub4040
6 years ago

We have bought a new (old) home and will be renovating it and moving in once it's complete! We are so excited as we've always loved this house and wanted to restore it. It's 80 years old.

The kitchen will be L-shaped with an island (unless someone can convince me a peninsula would work better). It's 11'7" x 12'8". It is open into the informal living room and an area that will have a sort of butler's pantry/ mini office room and a bar (we are putting a wine fridge and ice maker in the bar, but may loose the bar sink). We have a two year old kid and we also love entertain and cook dinner for friends weekly and ourselves most nights. Here's the whole first floor layout. Ignore the layout of appliances in this drawing.

Here's my hand drawn kitchen plan.

Here are my questions:

1) Is everything in the best place?

2) The window will go above the sink area. Is the main sink in the right spot? I have drawn the space as 36". Not sure if I will do a farmhouse sink or undermount stainless.

3) How big should the prep sink be?

4) On the island, how deep should the cabinets be to accommodate trash, plumbing for sink, microwave. What about space for stools to be pushed under? Is there spaceforbanything else useful in the island space for cabinets?

5) I really wanted two dishwashers but couldn't seem to find a place for a 2nd one.

6) Are the dimensions ok for a corner drawer? Do you like those better than a lazy Susan?

7) I used the random 12" space by dishwasher for kid's cups/plates/etc. Is 12" even possible for a cabinet size? What else could work there?

8) Could I fit a utensil cabinet with the stand up canisters anywhere near the range?

Thanks so much! I've been binge reading the kitchen threads and saving as many photos as I can find!

Comments (9)