SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unzumi

How's my jade (crassula ovata) doing? :D

About September or so last year I was working for Plant Nite and took home one of the demo pieces I did one night. It had 6 small jade plants crammed into a glass globe. I repotted them into a re-purposed wooden box with a liner and kept them on my office desk which has florescent lights and a skylight on the weekends. Then over the winter I took them home and repotted them a second time, splitting the 6 plants into 2 groups of 3. I used my own mix of cactus soil w/50% perlite and course sand. They were in plastic pots at that time. They didn't do much over the winter and I decided to actually repot them again into proper terracotta pots, keeping the same mix and topping them with aquarium rock to keep it looking neat.

I brought them into my office and they've been sitting on a west north-west facing window since about January.

When I got them, they were about 3" tall and very dark, emerald green with purple edging.

Have a look today:

Plant #1 Top Down View

Plant # 1 Side View

Plant #2 Top Down View

Plant #2 Side View

So, how are they doing? Their leaves have become very broad and there is almost always a new growth pair of leaves once the current one folds out. I have not pruned them in any way, as I'm waiting to see how they grow. Any splitting that's been done (as you can see on Plant #2 side view) is completely natural. They are not yet too top heavy so I have not worried about prunning. The bottom stems are just starting to get thick and sturdy.

I water them about every ~2-3ish weeks depending. The office environment is very dry so in the terracotta the soil usually dried out completely before I give it a good soak. I also feel the leaves and if they feel like they're starting to lose their plumpness I also water. The last three weeks have been very rainy and gloomy here in Mass. and today was the first gorgeously sunny day in some time, so I wanted to get some good, full sun pictures. Also, I've seen no sun burning on any of the leaves.

Thanks, all! Hoping I can bring these guys up to be big woody jade trees :D

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert