SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bens2bens

Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pics

bens2bens
10 years ago

Hi,

there is often the discussion if you can use Jade trees for bonsai. In my opinion they are suited quite well ... especially for african style bonsai like peernef or baobab style. However, when googeling for crassula+bonsai you only find very few good examples ... most of the pictures are from still relativ small speciments with a bad leaf-size to trunk-size ratio.
In this thread i ask you to show pics of your jade bonsai, just to get ideas what you can do with this species and it cultivars.
To start, here some pics of my largest jade trees, not yet in typical bonsai pots ...

"Hummels Sunset"
{{gwi:19302}}

normal green Jade
{{gwi:19307}}

"Skinny Fingers"
{{gwi:19311}}

C.arboreescens Silver Dollar ... due to its big leaf size this cultivar is not perfectly suited for bonsai, however just want to give it a try. Maybe if the plant is very big one day i will work.
{{gwi:19315}}

The best Crassula ovata cultivar for bonsai seems to be the small leaf variant "Crosby's Compact".
{{gwi:19319}}

... finally a project that i started five years ago with a small cutting of crosby's compact. The goal is to produce a strait main stem of around 60 cm with an umbrella shaped top. To get the strait stem with no bigger wounds i cutted away all developing new site branches just when they started to develope, only allowing the main branch to grow. Additionaly to get very short internodes, which later should give an interesting branch structure, i never fertilized the plant and grew it under quite hard conditions with lots of light and little water. I know that it will take very, very long to get a nice plant, but if you compare the internodes to the skinny fingers that was started in a dutch greenhouse and was very fast growing in its first years, i think it might be worth and one day could produce an outstanding bonsai. Right now the stem is about 45 cm ... so maybe two more years until I will allow the developement of the treetop ;)

{{gwi:19320}}

{{gwi:19323}}

Looking forward to see pics of your jade tree bonsais

Best regards,
Ben

Comments (72)

Sponsored