SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_comeau

Need help landscaping this shady garden bed! (Vermont-Zone 4b)

Emily Comeau
6 years ago

Hello! First time posting here. My husband and I are doing a full blown redesign of our outdoor space, and we are starting with the front of our home. We have very little experience with landscaping and are in desperate need of some ideas.

This bed is about 15-20 feet long, and about 2 feet wide. My husband is going to till it this weekend and get rid of all of those pesky weeds. We have a few bags of red mulch that we would like to use. This area is quite shaded and gets little sun throughout the season. On the far end of the bed there is a small bunch of daffodils and a wonderful hosta. We would like to keep the hosta, but are willing to transplant it. We also have two large blue planters with wonderful little trees. I don't have a picture of the trees, but the planters are pictured here.

Ideally, we would design this bed to be low-maintenance and hopefully weed free. We would also like to only use perennial plants so that we don't have to redo the whole thing every year. We have a cozy mountain home in rural central Vermont, and would like to landscape accordingly.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help us out! Remember, we are newbies, and may need lots of advice :)

Comments (4)