SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

7 foot doors with 8 foot ceilings - pictures?

bardzil
6 years ago

We are renovating and building an addition. The newer part of our house will have 9-10' ceilings (more than 50% of the house). 2 older bedrooms and the hallway will still have the original 8' ceilings. We were thinking of putting in 7' doors throughout the house. We were thinking of about 3-4" of door trim plus a 4" crown molding. I realize that with a 7' door, that won't leave that much wall space in the rooms that have 8' ceilings.

Does anyone have pictures of what this looks like? I read online that some designers recommend doing this to make the 8' ceiling look higher. But most of the comments online say it will look weird/bad. Its only a few rooms and the hallway that have this issue so I don't want to give up the 7' doors if it works (and I'd love to make those 8' rooms look taller if this could help!).

Even pictures of an 8' door with a 9' ceiling would help me visualize (since this is similar proportion).

Any pictures of this? Does this work?

Also, should top of windows line up with top of doors? If so, then I would have to raise my windows too (more $$$)...

Comments (27)