SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

8 Foot Ceilings

babs711
15 years ago

One of the things that drives me bonkers about our otherwise lovely home is that it has 8 foot ceilings...and worse yet, they're popcorn ceilings....not SUPER popcorn, but popcorn nonetheless, so they can't be painted to look nice and updated like the rest of our home.

A lot of homes in the suburbs of New Orleans are older and have been renovated, including ours. A lot of them have low ceilings. I always grew up with higher ceilings (even 9 feet would be nice). When we redid out house after Katrina we briefly talked with our contractor about raising the living room ceiling but we had to stop spending money so we didn't do it. At some point we may or we may be adding a second story which is a whole other issue.

Then I saw this house on Rate My Space...

{{gwi:1779925}}
{{gwi:1779926}}
{{gwi:1779927}}

Do those look like 8 or 9 foot ceilings? I'm thinking they were 9 but when they did the coffering, it brings the lower part to 8 right? I'm basing this on the last picture. I'm looking at the kitchen counter height and the space that's left above it. It looks like the space we have above out counters. Soooo...I'm wondering now, what about the beaded board ceiling? I absolutely love it. Would that be more or less expensive than having popcorn removed and painting a ceiling. Does anyone know? Would that look good on 8 foot ceilings?

Since we can't seem to find a house that we like, I'm just brainstorming for ideas on the one we have. It's a nice house that just needs some tweaking over time. Thanks all!

Comments (27)