SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4323755

Yet another wedding attire question

User
6 years ago

My husband, college freshman daughter and I are attending our nephew's wedding over Memorial Day weekend, Saturday, 2:30 pm church wedding, cocktail hour at 4 pm, dinner at 6, band starts at 8pm. It's in Bismark, ND and their "The Knot" page says "formal attire". I haven't been to a church wedding in decades and I have no idea of the norms in ND.

Neither Martha Stewart nor Emily Post were much help in determining what a formal, daytime, church wedding means in terms of attire for any of us. I've lived in the rural northeast my entire life, and while I've done a good deal of traveling, it was for work or pleasure, so not the same requirements. Also, my business traveling was for academia and manufacturing jobs, so no suits or pumps required.

My questions:

Can I wear my one and only little black dress? It's kind of formal, above the knee, crepe, sleeveless and has a little detail at the hem. But is black OK? I'd pair it with black patent leather wedge sandals and a vintage black patent clutch purse (thank you, local thrift shop), no pantyhose, I don't wear them. Ever. I'm 5'9" and a size 10, but, in the immortal words of some "The Crown" character, I am "built like a rolling pin", no waist, no hips, no butt, just broad shoulders and pretty good legs. But is above the knee ok?

Does my husband have to wear a dark suit (per Emily Post, yup, Martha was more cagey in her advice)? He has a very nice navy blazer and dark khaki dress pants (both from an actual men's store, not K Mart khakis) that he (OK, I) had planned on him wearing, but now I am so confused.....

Finally, my daughter, what do 18 year old women wear to weddings? She also has a short black dress, but can both of us wear solid black? Ugh. I hate getting dressed up, always have, and have constructed my life so that I don't have to get dressed up or wear pantyhose/spankx/heels, but we want to blend in and be appropriate.

Any thoughts or advice sincerely appreciated.

Comments (22)