SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

What have you done today?

socks
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I just ran some errands, really haven't accomplished much.

The mockingbird in the hedge screamed at me when I peeked in to view her nest. It made me jump!! She was chasing off a crow this morning. Today I hear peeping, so the crow didn't get the babes.

I was wondering about Caroline and the purple martins.

I saw the saddest homeless person today. Filthy, confused. His image is stuck in my mind. It's tragic. We have such a problem in LA area, thousands of homeless, tents on sidewalks.

I'll go read for a while.

Comments (50)

• Blue Onblue
    6 years ago

I spent hours on the computer for my online class work (last class for my degree). Took the dogs on a two mile walk. Laundered bed clothes, made dinner, dishes and now I have a face mask on. A few more chores to complete and then I hope to read a bit.

I did see a Killdeer bird today on the ground and he had a crow following him. The dogs and I stopped to watch to see if the crow was just going in his direction or following him. Crow was following him. We went by and they flew in different directions. I wonder why the crow was fascinated with the Killdeer.

socks thanked Blue Onblue
  • Related Discussions

brrrrrrrrr, it was 55 outside, but I did it anyway!

Q

Comments (5)
    It was 51 when I left for a bike ride, and now, 52 miles later, it is 61. That was a tougher ride than I anticipated. Moni
    ...See More

water was great---have you done yours, today?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Nicole! I am not sure if it's Kenmuir Quarry or the Red Rocks amphitheater. Last week, as I was driving south to Conifer, I passed a sign that said 'Red Rocks'. Looked to the right and was able to see some red rock formations similar to Garden of the Gods. But i couldn't see any farther, so I am not sure what I saw there. I didn't even know it was on the way to Conifer either. Is that the sign for the Amphiteater or the quarry? Sounds like a fun place to visit! :)
    ...See More

The getting out was the worst part!

Q

Comments (11)
    My girlfriend and I hiked through a woods and over a trail in a field for about an hour this morning. We were hunting for teasel pods plus getting our exercise. The exercise part was great but we didn't find any teasel! We use it to make natural Christmas decorations. Joann
    ...See More

What have you done in your rose gardens today..?

Q

Comments (23)
    I had a very productive Mothers Day. It doesn't quite look that way, but its progress. When my adult children asked what I would like to do/receive/go out, I chose the best option for me. I said, "Let's BBQ and all work in the yard". That's exactly what we did. With four young men digging holes,( two sons, one SIL, and one "like a son to me"),I couldn't keep up with the planting, and I'm a bit particular about it. I rather do most of that myself when I can. One son knows what he's doing, and is allowed to plant once I have handed him a 5 gallon bucket of "a little of this and a little of that" to mix with my native clay soil into the hole. My 29-year-old daughter, (bossy little thing) kept the boys on track and put some organization to my tremendous pot ghetto. It is now reduced in numbers, as well. She cleared out a huge area of invasive bellflower punctata, although I know it will be back soon. Mine isn't even pretty. It has grayish blooms that are not attractive and they regularly take over the strawberry patch. I curse the day I purchased the stuff! Darcy Bussell was at last freed from her tangle of sweet peas, and is looking relieved. My DD did yank an entire cane off at the ground level, in the process, but I doubt Darcy will mind. Not much slows her down. That one cane provided 11 buds and blooms for the vase. My Ageratum Corymbosum has been planted into an afternoon shade position, and I hope it fairs better than the first one. I so want to grow this dark leaved beauty, yet my first specimen declined rapidly upon arrival and I don't know why. I am really hoping this one does well. Mini Rose "Diamond Eyes " went into the ground near the perennial Ageratum, as it tolerates a bit of shade and is also so very dark flowered. Impatiens sodenii 'Flash' (perennial for me) and Impatiens gandulifera candida(reseeding annual), went in there as well. These are both giant, 4' tall and wide plants. I have some empty holes, complete with gopher cages, ready to receive Iochroma cyanea 'Mr Plum' , Campanula vidalii (Azorina vidalii),and some other smaller plants. The edge of this area is reserved for my "someday dream Rose", "Annie Laurie McDowell". The plan is for this shaded corner to contain both dark and light contrasting plants. A new venture for me, as I normally stick to pastels. Marlorena, I have two verbascum 'Violetta' that need to go into the ground ASAP. I grew them from seed(somehow lost the third) . Just how tall are they for you? It will be great to know you're experience before siting them. I know our climates are quite different, but still I somehow envisioned 2-3 foot spires in front of my purple hollyhocks, perhaps not? Thanks, Lisa
    ...See More
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great turnout, Glenda. Potlucks are always fun. Are you enjoying your new car?

Blue--I wonder if the crow was looking to see if the Killdeer had a nest. You accomplished so much today. You put me to shame! Congratulations on finishing that last class and achieving your degree. Did you share what your degree is in?

• stacey_mb
    6 years ago

Today I went to a fabric store and purchased a coat pattern that I'm adapting into a Halloween costume for DGD. I had already purchased a pattern and made up a test garment, but the size was a bit snug. The larger size I purchased today will make a better garment.

socks thanked stacey_mb
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

stacey, you are getting such an early start on your DGD's costume, that I had to take a second look at this thread to check to see if it was current or not! You'll be glad not to have to be scrambling at the last minute in October

socks, the homeless population is so large these days, I don't know if it's a problem that can ever be solved. I'm sorry it made you feel bad. We have a pair of quail who run out in front of my car every time I drive down the road. I'm sure they have a nest nearby and are trying to lure me away from their eggs.

Potluck sounds nice, Glenda!

Congratulations on being so close to getting your degree, Blue Onblue!

This morning I studied and did homework for my Spanish lesson on Friday. One of my best friends is a retired Spanish teacher and she is giving me private lessons which I am really enjoying.

This afternoon, I've been down in my studio working on a wind chime I'm making out of copper sheet. I've wanted to hang one outside my window for quite some time, but haven't seen anything I really like and then it occurred to me that I could make my own. I'm making leaves out of copper and will hang them at different lengths from the copper hanging thingy that I was working on today.

Hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather!

socks thanked DawnInCal
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Today I went to a Dr appointment, by the vets office for some stuff for the dog, had a couple of my neighbors come by and now I am going to get dinner ready.

socks thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Stacey, I love getting things done early too. Rushed is not fun! What's it going to be?

Thank you, Dawn. Hope you enjoy your wind chimes. Yes, spring weather is nice, but strangely, yesterday we had hail.

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

Today I cleaned up the pollen netty things that fall from the trees this time of year. They left pollen stains on the deck and front walk which I will wash off tomorrow. I spread some deer repellent on the hostas. I signed the work order for the quartzite for my kitchen, and DH and I had lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant to celebrate. I love how everyone is so busy and ambitious.

socks thanked happy2b…gw
  • Chi
    6 years ago

I worked and I've spent the last 4 hours doing some projects for my certification. I'll be done in 4 weeks and I can't wait!

socks thanked Chi
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

This has been an eventful day. This morning, husband and I spent a bundle at the local big box store ordering cellular shades and blinds for just about all the windows in our house. We've been in this house going on two years, making do with worn-out curtains. So it was time to upgrade and get something that would last a good long time.

On way home, traffic got worse, lots of sirens all around. We had to detour because a train was blocking both the main street, and a second train was stopped across the street into our neighborhood. Never saw trains actually stopped on both sets of tracks at the same time before. And power was off at our house. Found out that five cars had jumped the track, knocking over a power line. Totally messed up a bridge over a creek (a train bridge, not a people or car bridge). No one was hurt, thank goodness. Spilled a lot of corn, so the ducks will be happy!

This evening, I saw two baby possums. Or, maybe it was the same baby, twice. Very cute. Hope I see it again. Train wrecks and picking out window treatments, not so much!

socks thanked nickel_kg
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Socks, when my boys were young teens I watched a homeless lady come and go in the woods behind my house..I thought she might be living in the woods but than thought surely not, no one lives in the woods without a house...well one day after seeing her exit the woods I went for a walk..I came across a old half standing outhouse...I peeked in and sure enough I could see someone was staying in that little barely standing outhouse. I ran home. But I was disturbed. What should I do..I did the only thing I knew to do and that was to gather the things I'd need and get ready for another walk pulling a child's wagon and my boys pulling a second I made another trip..a bale of hay and 2 sleeping bags along with a dinner plate heaped with a meal a slice of cake and some fresh fruit, and a jug of orange juice..we made quick work of spreading the hay out in that outhouse and left everything inside...we went home. Every chance I got I snuck food back there always in disposable containers except that first drop off. This went on for months. Than one day I found my plate and silverware on my back porch along with a little stick pin of an angel with a tiny blue stone in it....and she was gone. Somehow she knew all along it was me dropping things off. I never knew what happened to her...you seeing the sad homeless person reminded me of this...I often wonder what has happened to some of these people that they are homeless...its the older ones that disturb me the most..very sad. To be old, alone and homeless....very sad.

socks thanked mamapinky0
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

So nice of you. Often times, unfortunately, mental illness plays a part in homelessness. One would think that a homeless person would have at least one relative or friend that could help them.

• stacey_mb
    6 years ago

DawnInCal and Socks - DGD is anxious to have the costume made this early, but I'm a bit nervous that we're rushing things, since she's only 13 and might grow larger by Halloween. The costume is worn by a character in a video game (don't know which one) and consists of a longish coat buttoned to the waist, and the front of the coat is cut away below the waist in an angled cut. Pants, tall boots and gauntlet gloves are the other parts of the costume which we can likely find or adapt from a thrift store.

socks thanked stacey_mb
  • Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy with my kids in the early afternoon. Show started at 1:20, didn't get out of the theater until 4:00! Awful traffic taking kids home, then back to my house to pick up my exchange student. We were supposed to go to Paris, KY for an "orientation" to go back to their home country but didn't make it. Had to run and pick up something for the potluck that went with this meeting, fill up gas...well, we weren't going to make it, so we snacked on the potato and macaroni salad and played Spades and Monopoly deal. Others missed it too so I will drop her off at the one this weekend.

socks thanked Kathsgrdn
  • andreap
    6 years ago

I walked my dog, weeded, visited my neighbor and we had a tea party outside for her birthday. Brought her a a lot of gifts. Pulled vines that were strangling my azaleas. Played piano until my lower back-butt pain made me stop it. Crocheted a doily while watching "Manchester by the sea." Pattern is wrong, or else I am, so I'm winging it. I need to go to bed but am not tired yet. I admire all of you who do so much. I get exhausted just running errands or shopping.

socks thanked andreap
  • yeonassky
    6 years ago

Worked for 10 hours from 11:30 to 9:30 pm. I'm glad to be home with my pets. :) DH is still at work. :(

socks thanked yeonassky
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

It was cold and windy yesterday, so I worked indoors most of the day. By 5 o'clock I felt like I needed fresh air, so I went out to see if any of the iris had buds. They didn't (I hope they don't give up entirely in this crazy weather), but then I spotted the thorny climber (a barberry, I think) I've been wanting to remove from the terrace for years. I got my pruning shears and a shovel. I cut off all the canes, but couldn't get the shovel into the ground. So I grabbed the base of the big plant and pulled. And pulled! My 3-year-old grandson was impressed when he saw this picture of the result. :-)

socks thanked Alisande
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I think this question was for yesterday....I went to the feed store to buy feed but they were out of Senior, so had to go Tractor Supply to get it. Then to the vet to make an appointment for Val, and called the farrier to make sure he could make it on that day. More shoes and x rays for Val. Cleaned stalls and put down fresh shavings.

Jody came home and we worked on Val's stall.....that horse is going to kill me. He pawed and hurt his front leg.

Fed possums early and had left over soup and watermelon for supper and went to bed early. (Plus, fed a lot of animals in between all of the above.)

Today I am doing laundry and waiting on Jody to call me to come pick up some money and then another trip to the feed store to buy some more hay.

socks thanked marilyn_c
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    6 years ago

Yesterday I wanted to take the garden flag I made to the cemetery but it was too cold and windy for me so I went to the garden center and bought some flowers for the cemetery. Today wasn't as cold so I went to the cemetery and planted the flowers ( got perennials this year) and put up the flag.

socks thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Marilyn, doesn't matter what day. We just like to keep up with each other. Those critters sure do keep you moving around!

Rose, I assume this is your dear husband's resting place. Very beautiful headstone, and of course the banner is sweet, a tender heartfelt message. It all looks lovely.

Alisande, no doubt your grandson was impressed with how strong grandma is! And it was a little science lesson too--roots!

I did a similar thing this morning. Not sure what this bush is (sage, lavender?), but it became so overgrown I just had to clip it down. I hope it will recover in the weeks ahead and bloom again for the nectar lovers.

Maybe someone can tell me what it is. Before:

After:

• User
    6 years ago

That looks like a Butterfly Bush to me.

All we did yesterday was travel: London to Detroit to St. Louis. Then we went out for dinner before we went to bed at 7:30. It was a LONG day, but I seem to have averted jetlag this time! :)

socks thanked User
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Butterfly bush. I'm certain. Not just the flowers, but also the foliage and the habit. Buddleia is its botanical name. What did I do today? Work. Sat in the passenger seat while my learning to drive son drove. I can't see it (him driving alone) coming together, but it will. It always does.

socks thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • jemdandy
    6 years ago

I printed a packed of family photos for a relative of mine. One of those photos is of a family member who was born in 1791. She was born before photography, but lived long enough to see it develop and sat for tin type portrait. The photo was made ca 1855; she lived to Christmas Day, 1876.

socks thanked jemdandy
  • Summer
    6 years ago

Socks - to me that plant looks more like a Salvia leucantha.

ETA - a pic.

socks thanked Summer
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Whatever plant it is, they're both beautiful.

socks thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Summer, you are correct. I appreciate the previous identification replies but when I looked at pictures of butterfly bushes, the flowers didn't look the same. Do you have it too, Summer?

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

I have not done much yet today, but will. I will go with oldest daughter to take her husband's truck to get serviced and then on to another town to shop for groceries and whatever. I went with her yesterday and we took KC and Izzi to be dropped off at a new groomers. They did a great job and the dogs were happy. We then did a little shopping but not for groceries. Each day is so busy, can't get caught up. Mother's Day is coming soon and lots of food to cook, I usually do most of it.

Our garden is looking good, missed the frost that came here and there recently. Have a lot more to get planted. I did plant two lilies in the yard recently but I have about 20 more to go!

Sue in Central Indiana

socks thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • susie53_gw
    6 years ago

Today will be busy. I have to run to the lab for blood work. Then , hopefully, we will now and then I have a meeting this evening. Hubby is finally home for a few days so I need to figure out when I can get him fed. Got some chicken in the oven to make some chicken salad. He loves it. At least it isn't raining. Do hope the sun comes out.. Have a great day everyone!!

socks thanked susie53_gw
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have a good chicken salad recipe?

• Summer
    6 years ago

Socks - I have several, but not that one.

socks thanked Summer
  • kathyg_in_mi
    6 years ago

Flew back to Michigan from Las Vegas!

socks thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Spent hours on the phone and Internet trying to get straight answers about what my options are for supplemental oxygen to be covered by Medicare. Favorite reply to my questions? "Well, it depends"! Had already spent hours on Mon. Doctor's nurse assistant gave me totally incorrect information. I questioned it at the time as its not what I had heard from pulmonary rehab patients and staff but he assured me he knew how to get me what I want. WRONG! What I want ( portable, very light weight) is not paid for by Medicare, at least not in my competitive bidding area.

So nearly $5000 later, I will hopefully get my equipment on Fri - that us if incompetent nurse can manage to fax the prescription before 1pm tomorrow so they can ship it next day UPS.

It's a very good thing I have no shortness of breathe when just sitting and talking or I'd gave suffocated hours ago. Grrrr....

socks thanked Anglophilia
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm sorry it has been so difficult and hope the oxygen comes soon so you can move around and do things comfortably.

• JoanEileen
    6 years ago

Yesterday I woke up at 5:56 all ready to hear about the Comey firing. Read a couple of chapters in my book then cooked breakfast---a sausage patty, a medium boiled egg, tea and a piece of toast. Took the tea to the computer room where I took 8 of my 13 daily pills and played the Daily Challenge. Emptied and refilled the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen. Folded and put away a basket of clothes and ran another load through the washer and dryer. Wrote 6 checks and filed the receipts. All these little chores were interspersed with time outs for book reading. Opened two big boxes from Amazon holding Mother's Day gifts---a solar pole lamp for the front lawn and a copper pan and 4 cans of Underwood's Deviled Ham---my store no longer carries it. At some point I had half a braunschweiger sandwich on pumpernickel and a cookie and a diet Pepsi. Didn't do much in the PM---brought in the mail, went through it, read the morning paper and the new TV Guide, checked some message boards, played a game of Slingo and read some more. For supper it was a leftover stuffed pepper, applesauce, and a couple of slices of tiny ciabatta bread. I'm usually in bed by 8 where I watch TV or read til 11. A look at the news and then to sleep. There you have my day---unexciting, kind of quiet, just the way I like it. I pray it continues as I am 84.

socks thanked JoanEileen
  • hooked123
    6 years ago

I left this morning to join my husband on a business trip. I am enjoying seeing a new city! Edit- I really left late last night and got here at 2 am, sorry for the confusion.

• socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok what city!!? Didn't you just get back from a trip? You travel!

I'm driving to Arizona from CA. Love seeing the desert, the saguaros especially.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

I am in Charlotte, NC. My relatives and I had a blow up and my husband thought I should come with him and relax so I did. I updated my thread on them saying what happened. Socks- it's just so upsetting.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

Socks- I love California! We got to North Carolina at 2am so I am sleepy as we drove.

socks thanked hooked123
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Spent today so far taking the dog to the groomer and going to pulmonary rehab and the laundry. Spent TWO hours (one before rehab and one after) on the phone trying to be sure that people did today what they promised me yesterday that they would; one had not - took 2 phone calls to get this guy to fax the info I needed to my trust officer.

Now I'm not sure if I will get my oxygen tomorrow - can't give me a tracking number, signature required and can't guarantee delivery by 10AM and I have a hair app't at 1 that I am NOT cancelling. Grrrrr.... He does not seem to understand that UPS will only talk to one if there is a tracking number. Surely, he can check his computer or call shipping and get one. Grrrr....

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

I cleaned a home then walked dogs in the pouring rain for 2 hours.

Then I went and had an exam at the gynecologist who said everything looks good. While we're at it I'm going to take that biopsy. OUch. Not OUCH but bigger than a medium ouch. Glad I didn't know enough to get a stress migraine. I'll probably get one tomorrow. It took maybe 10 minutes but felt like longer. There's a bit of discomfort still a couple of hours afterwards.

I told DH jokingly the other day that once the Drs. get a hold of you they take chunks out of you until there's nothing left. They are necessary and appreciated but apparently they do take literal chunks out of you. It grows back though. :)

socks thanked yeonassky
  • socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglo, did your 02 come? Did you get your hair done?

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

After breakfast this Friday morning, I walked around in the house looking out all the windows longingly wanting to be out there picking at anything annoying around the edges of the flower beds that I could reach from my scooter. Not to be, way to rainy and wet. So I completed a jigsaw puzzle, sorted laundry and washed, dried and hung/folded one load. Washed celery, radishes, cauliflower, grapes and apples that I bought yesterday. Micro hard boiled 4 eggs, then sorted a new puzzle to start this afternoon. Next I need to see whats for supper with the chicken tenders that are waiting in the fridge.

• socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I hope you can be picking at annoying things in the garden very soon. Maybe you need some kind of a long picker stick to reach stuff farther in. I'm a weed freak myself and would not enjoy seeing weeds I couldn't reach LOL. It just gives one a lift to be outside doesn't it? I remember how lovely your gardens are. Well, you accomplished a lot anyway.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Oxygen equipment arrived at 7:15 AM! My tenacity worked! Got it set up very quickly so batteries could charge - takes 3 hrs for small one and 5 hrs for big one.

I had my maiden voyage to the hairdresser and then on for a mani/pedi. Getting in and out of the car with this thing and a handbag took some doing but I'm sure I'll eventually figure out a system. I'm a bit of a klutz. Made it through Whole Foods, too. Battery has great life for such a small machine.

What was interesting was how I was treated at the nail salon. All the techs are Vietnamese and I've been coming here regularly for about 3 years. My favorite girl left so I'm still trying out others - new one today -a young man. He asked me who drove me to the mall and did they know when to pick me up? Huh? Then, when I moved from pedi chair (I was already in it when he came out from back to help me), he asked if I could walk unassisted! I can drive, I can walk, I can talk, I just don't breathe so well!

BTW, I think that some of the companies I spoke with sold my name immediately as I've had multiple phone calls yesterday and today from hearing aid companies and two wanting to sell me walkin bathtubs! First of all, I'm on a no-call list (which now appears to be a "suggestion") and I can still quite easily get in and out if a tub, which I prefer to a shower.

I hate so much that those of us who are old are targeted for pitches that promise us our independence and freedom. (And to avoid the dreaded nursing home) if we just give them a ton of money for " health aides". It must work or they wouldn't do it. I'm sure I'll next get a call offering me a lift chair! I'm 73, not 93 and I do resistance training twice a week as well as exercise 3 times a week at rehab!

Needless to say, one of my favorite poems is Dylan Thomas' "Do not go gentle into that good night...".

• schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I decorated graves at the cemetery today, first time by myself. Mom and I have been responsible for this duty since I was a kid for many years for Memorial Day. I told her I would continue when she was no longer here (she passed in October). However, just before I went to purchase flowers I had a notion not to...but then decided I couldn't do that. I'll do it at least for several more years, or more. We shall see. The soil was in pretty good shape, so digging and planting wasn't as big a chore as in past years. Plus the temp was kind of chilly, not hot like normal. I planted red geraniums with pink centers, white petunias, and some yellow marigolds on each of the five graves.

Then I came home and mowed for an hour an a half.

• socks
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglo and Schoolhouse, you both had great days. Enjoyed reading about your activities, as well as the others here.

• norsetex
    6 years ago

Today spent 5.5 hours in chemo treatment . Came home, did some laundry , emptied the dishwasher and just been relaxing since .

• gardener123
    6 years ago

Good girl norsetex. Keep up the R&R! Sending good wishes your way.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

((((Norsetex)))). Also ditto what gardener 123 said.

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Went out to lunch with DH. I had a wonderful perfectly cooked steak kabob with rice. Clam chowder for the soup.

After I went and had my car washed. Came home and DH went to get his phone "fixed". He messed it up somehow.

This evening I went looking for party plates and other theme related itemsfor DGD's upcoming birthday. Then I went on a soap hunt. Found my Dial Gold Original at Walmart. Bought 60 bars. Never thought I'd be a soap hoarder but it helps me so much with my skin issues that I refuse to give it up. Stupid FDA.