SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianey

Starting my Kerdi install tomorrow - a few questions

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm not sure if I should have combined this with a previous thread, but the questions are different, so figured I'd start a new one. We're going to tear out our existing shower tomorrow and start rebuilding the new shower with the Kerdi membrane. I have two questions that we will be running into tomorrow:

1) We will be ordering frameless shower doors (two walls - 90 degree angle), so they'll be heavy, tempered glass. I know we need to reinforce behind the wall to take that weight. The place we're ordering the walls from has a picture of two 2x4s sandwiched together with the "face" side out (as opposed to edge side out). That makes sense to me, but I couldn't figure out how we would be anchoring that to the existing studs. I did some research online, but couldn't really find anything other than a couple of recommendations to just attach the 2x4s edge side out to the existing studs. This concerns me if one of the anchor screws for the walls happened to hit the spot where the two studs are joined - seems like that wouldn't be good for support. Can anyone with experience shed some light on this? Note: we will be taking down the existing walls where the shower is, but not ALL the walls, so while we'll have access, we might not have access from every which angle.

2) Since we're using Kerdi, we know we need to use unmodified thinset. We checked Home Depot last weekend and didn't really see anything, so figured we'd just get it from our local tile shop. We went there tonight and they only carry modified (!!!). We hit up Lowe's and they had one type of Mapei unmodified that said it was for use with floors and that you should use an additive if you were using it with cement board - which we are, so then it would need to be modified(?). (https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-Floor-Tile-50-lb-Gray-Powder-Thinset-Mortar/3743787)

So, I'm not really sure what to do. I did see people at the John Bridge site saying they use Versabond for everything, but that's slightly modified, so it would void the warranty. That doesn't necessarily bother me, if that's my only choice, but would rather use unmodified, if we can. Home Depot does have the Custom Blend unmodified, but I believe I read that that is a brand to avoid? So I'm really not sure how to proceed at this point, but we need to have something for this weekend. Would love some advice on this.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (10)