SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_dziak

Did I burn my sweet pepper seedlings?!?

Laura C
7 years ago

Hi all. I am a gardening newbie. I think I may have burnt my seedlings, but would love to hear from the experienced... I planted my seeds in a coconut-based seed starting mix with just water (have not yet fertilized) on April 16th and they germinated 10-15 days later (in my cooler sunroom (50-60 degrees - I am in VA.) Once they popped out I put them under my 60w CFL lights, 4 inches away, from sun up to sun down and it's been around 65-75 degrees in there.) They were thriving - stocky and dark green for awhile. But all of a sudden they became discolored, mainly white patches, and a couple with light brown patches. Some of the leaves are curling and appear brown in pinched in areas. (See pics) I've bottomed watered about once a week or 5 days since. I didn't drain the excess water but there are drainage holes and there wasn't much excess water anyway (I just checked and the roots are white so I don't think it's root rot.) the soils is slightly damp but not soaked... so I can't tell if I'm over or under watering. Now I'm wondering if my lights are just too hot or close... any thoughts???? Thank u!!

Comments (15)