SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironchef519

Matching or contrasting tile for wood floors?

Donna G
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are replacing our floors on the first floor of our townhouse and have settled on a natural maple hardwood for the kitchen, dining area, and living area, all of which connect.

We are having trouble deciding on tile for three small areas that adjoinin the main living space: a short entry hallway and closet that are perpendicular to the main living space; the hearth; and a short back hallway and half bath (the side wall of the kitchen forms the hallway wall). The smaller tiled areas total about 90 square feet, while the hardwood totals about 600 square feet.

One question is whether to try to match the maple flooring in tone and intensity or go with a contrasting color. Here's a porcelain tile by Unicom Starker called Quartzite Green that's grayish with peachy tones that play well with the maple. There's another color that has less gray that would blend well with the maple. We'd probably go with 12x12 since the areas are fairly small. It has a textured stone like finish that is gorgeous but might be hard to clean.

The alternative would be a darker gray matte hexagon tile (about 8x8) that would offer more contrast as well as textural / shape interest. The darker grays would connect with the black of the fireplace and define the different areas that adjoin the main living space. I really like the hexagons but wonder if it's a good idea to break up the space. But it would be easy to clean, and did I tell you I love the shape? (The wood pictured in both images is not what we select d, just an approximation )

i will try to post a sketch of the floor plan but in the meantime I'd love to get your advice!

thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor