SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2017 Planting/Conversation Thread

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Happy May everyone!

Here's the new month's general planting, problem and conversation thread.

I hope you all made it through the storms, flooding, snow and wind this weekend.

We had wind gusting like crazy, mostly in the upper 40s and sometimes into the lower 50s yesterday. Our highest wind gust was 53 mph. It was a typical windy day here---no internet the entire day long, satellite TV cutting in and out, snapped power poles and broken power lines down in the roads, etc., some houses evacuated due to arcing power lines that could have set them on fire, at least one VFD had to go fight a brush fire undoubtedly started by a power line, at least one building in town lost its roof (just like last week), etc. This was the most prolonged strong wind event here in ages---with winds gusting in the 30s and close to the 40s overnight Sat into Sun, and then all day long Sunday in the 40s and 50s, and finally dropping back into the 30s on Sunday evening. It sounds calmer now, early Monday morning.

I stayed out of the garden (didn't want to be in there in case a big old tree from the woods fell) but did notice that the tomato plants, most of which are about waist-high (though I am short, so waist high on me is not necessarily that tall), took a real beating from the wind gusts.

Our yard is filled with little clumps of green leaves, twigs, small branches and a few large dead branches that came down with the wind. Today I'll rake up and pick up all that and haul it to the compost pile. Of course it is too wet to garden....technically speaking, but I have 4 medium-sized pots, a soil-less mix to fill them, and some flowers to plant in them so at least there's that. It probably is too wet to mow.

I know it is too wet to plant the back garden, which is ready for planting as soon as I can walk on the wet ground back there. I do need to treat the fire ant mounds back there with Come And Get It. Those ants came and got TIm last week when he was rototilling the soil and they came and got me when I was digging up persimmon trees on Friday, so it is time for them to go. The back garden gets all the direct-seeded hot season crops like okra, southern peas, all the C. moschata squash, (both those grown for use as summer squash and winter squash), the roselles, the Armenian cucumbers and most of the muskmelons and watermelons, so there's no big hurry to plant it today or anything, but I'd like to go ahead and get it done before the next rain storm. I guess that's my plan for this week---to plant the back garden. Our chance of rain on Tuesday isn't huge and the amount of rain in the forecast is small, so I think I'll get the planting done sometime between now and Thursday.

Oh, and sending thoughts and prayers to the Canton, and Van Zandt County, TX, area in the aftermath of at least 4 tornadoes that hit them Saturday evening---two EF-3s and two EF-0s based on preliminary investigation. One of the EF-3s. if the NWS investigation confirms a continuous track, was on the ground for approximately 1 hour 40 minutes and 51 miles. There's tons of destruction there, and everyone here in OK can relate to the disruption that causes families and communities. Condolences to the families who lost loved ones. Weather in this part of the country sure can be cruel at times.

What's your report on the weekend weather and your plan for your garden for this week?

Dawn

Comments (155)