SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

February 2017 Planting/Conversation Thread

A new month has arrived and drought is expected to continued for most of the state.

Here's the one-month Drought Outlook:

One Month Drought Outlook

And the 3-month drought outlook shows the drought persisting over most of the areas of OK currently in drought:

Three-Month Drought Outlook

Keep in mind that dry weather conditions mean that extra attention should be paid to soil preparation and to maintaining proper moisture levels, particularly when germinating seeds. If the soil is too dry, the seeds can fail to germinate or the tiny plants can struggle to survive due to a lack of moisture.

In many parts of OK, the winter wildfire season has begun in earnest and numerous daily wildfires are keeping firefighters in many parts of the state extremely busy. That's something to keep in mind when you're working outdoors.

With the arrival of February, official planting time arrives.

Here's the OSU Garden Planning Guide with its list of recommended planting dates. When dates are given as a range like this: February 15 - March 10, for example, that means that the February 15th is for the SE corner of the state that warms up earliest, and the March 10th date is for the NW corner of the state that generally is the last to warm up and stay warm. All of us located in between the two extreme corners of the state must choose a date somewhere in between those two extremes.

Oklahoma Garden Planning Guide

In a warmer than average winter, you can plant earlier than recommended and probably get away with it, but be prepared to cover up your plantings and protect them from very cold weather if Mother Nature throws a big cold front at us after your plants are up and growing.

Remember that it is really easy to get all excited and plant early when we're in the middle of a January or early February warm spell, but the winter weather rarely is done with us this early in the year so be prepared for the possibility of winter weather sneaking back in and slapping us down.

One caveat about planting early: do your research and know what soil temperatures a specific kind of seed needs to germinate quickly or that a plant needs to have in order to grow. If you sow seeds into soil that is too cold for them, they will germinate very slowly if at all. If you transplant plants into soil that is too slow for them, they won't grow much if at all until the soil warms up. If you don't have a soil thermometer, you can use the OK Mesonet Soil Temperature Maps. To use them, focus on the ones that show averages over several days, not just a 1-day map that might show soil warmed up tremendously by an extremely warm day. Here's one OK Soil Temperature Map:

3-Day Average Soil Temperature Map At 4" Below Bare Soil

We're ready to plant, but is our soil ready? Proceed wisely and have fun!

Dawn

Comments (286)

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

Nancy, I just soak citrus peels in white vinegar for about a month. If it's flu season or illness in your home, you can add essential oils too. And yep, it's just a general cleaner.

• Rebecca (7a)
    7 years ago

OK, great, I'll start sugar snaps this weekend. I have the perfect place for their trellis, and once the trees start leafing out, they'll get a bit of shade and hopefully last longer.

• Related Discussions

Blooming in February 2017

Q

Comments (34)
    Tom, I keep saying that I will post pic but I will finally get to do that possibly later today....Yes, I just hope my new plant actually survived the mail..It looks ok. I left it in the same moss it cam in and stuck it in a clay container hanging fro the roof of greenhouse where it is warmest...Every time I water it gets hit so i hope that the moist moss does not rot it...I am thinking with a nice fan breeze hitting it while warm days it should dry rather quickly each day! Yes, I was told to give it a very dry period during winter months when it goes dormant or rest, meaning it is just a stick. Then to start watering regularly one new growth commences on the roots or once the new growth is at least a 1/2 inch tall which will come for the old pseudo bulb. He also told me not to fertilize until then. Jason said that new leaves will come in summer while the flowers come after or just before the leaves fall off...That they LOVE to be grown outdoors in a sun protected area, like under a tree or morning and late day sun..Does that make sense? Do you keep yours in FULL sun all day? Do you have to do much to it? Is it a pretty much good grower if neglected? Do you just let it sit udner a tree or on a porch?Some Orchids hate attention and baby care while others thrive on bone dry to when ever it rains method..I can't believe it was exposed to the thirties..Wow! That gives me hope..I might be able to leave outside longer than just June, July and August!
    ...See More

April Planting/Conversation Thread: The Sequel, April 19 & Beyond

Q

Comments (193)
    Amy, Congrats on the turnips and I think the parsnips will be fine. With all the cloudy days we tend to have at this time of the year, even if the parsnips leaves sunburn a little in the first couple of days after you harvested the turnips, I'd think that new growth will appear and the plants themselves will be fine. Turnips grown in the fall can turn woody too if the gardener leaves them in the ground too long. I know people who are stuck in that bigger is better mentality (with which I strongly disagree) and they leave their turnips in the ground until they are huge and woody and not fit to eat. Bon, If you were out in the wind and cold pulling weeds yesterday, I'm fearing you're crossing over to the dark side. The wind here was gusting in the upper 40s and lower 50s and I stayed indoors as much as possible as did Tim, the dogs and the cats. The chickens didn't like the wind either and spent a lot of time huddled under the shrubs and even came up onto the porch and huddled up close to the exterior of the wall to stay out of the wind. Augustus the turkey spent most of his day huddled underneath the gigantic Burford hollies on the south side of the porch, gobbling away. That wind was strong and cold. I hate ivy and all kinds of it try to invade from the northwest corner of the garden. I have some smilax, poison ivy and Virginia creeper vines to pull out of the corner of the garden this week, as well as some unknown ivy-looking creeping and crawling vines that I don't want there either. Where does all this crap come from? I blame the wild birds. I think they sit on the fence and plant things. Dawn
    ...See More

May 2017 Planting/Conversation Thread

Q

Comments (155)
    Amy, Same thing here with current prom pictures. No one back in our day (I was a senior in 1977) would have been allowed in the door with the exposed flesh I see nowadays. Sometimes I wonder what the parents are thinking, letting their daughters dress in such skimpy prom dresses. Waves of nostalgia can be fun. When I am visiting my mom at our childhood home, I am nostalgic for certain things....the roses Daddy used to grow along the backyard fence, the big mimosa tree we played beneath while hummingbirds and butterflies visited its flowers, the roses, peonies, zinnias, cosmos and cockscombs that mom and I (okay, mostly I) grew in my mom's flowerbed by the porch, the fruit trees in teh back yard and the veggie garden. All of those are gone, but I can close my ends and practically see them, and all of us out and about and near them, when I am at mom's house. Then I walk into the house and wonder how in the world my parents raised 4 kids in a small 3-bedroom house with only 1 bathroom and a tiny galley kitchen. The miracle is that no one died in the perpetual fight to get into the bathroom at peak periods. The house always seems smaller than I remember it being, but I guess that's the difference in looking at things as an adult versus how you thought they were when you were a kid. Melissa, The more I eat hot peppers, the more heat I can handle but I am mostly careful to avoid overdoing it. There's plenty of time to plant habaneros. They really thrive in warm soil and hot air so I never put them in the ground as early as the rest of the hot peppers. Bon, The only thing I don't like about potatoes is digging them, but the digging is a necessary evil that makes eating them possible. Jay, It is about time the snow is gone! I am glad you're getting to plant. We only had really good rainfall here in January, so it is long gone. Otherwise, our rain has been sporadic. It keeps missing us (uh oh, had summers like that before, haven't we, and you as well), going around us, just flat out not falling, etc. Our forecast highs also have consistently run 4 to 6 degrees above whatever the forecast says. Yesterday the forecast high was 80 and we hit 86. I'm starting to dread the summer weather since we are trending hotter and drier than forecast. Our back garden in the sandier soil does drain too quickly, but our front garden drains too slowly......if only I could take a gigantic mixing bowl and mix together the clay from the front with the sand from the back. Dawn
    ...See More

July 2017, Week 3, General Garden Conversation & Harvest Talk

Q

Comments (103)
    Amy, I avoided the kitchen all I could this weekend because of the heat. We either ate cold meals, ate out, or cooked on the grill outdoors. It is too hot to can, but I'll be doing it this morning anyway. At least the weather today won't be quite as hot. My purple pole beans still are producing too, but I'm tired of picking them (because, you know, then I have to process them or cook them for dinner, lol) so I am going to let the ones still on the plant dry for seed. Nancy, The cooler air is just so nice, even without rain. Rebecca, I cannot believe how hard the squirrels have come back after the tomatoes after they figured out they still could get to them despite the stockings covering them. It is too bad you aren't rural and couldn't let a neighbor just shoot the little furry rodents. That would solve the problem. For what it is worth, I've been watering the zinnias 2 or 3 times a week, and they still manage to wilt and twist and look bad every afternoon. It is sad when the heat is too much for them. I'm hoping to be able to get them through the next couple of hot weeks so they can continue to bloom into fall. The butterflies love them so much that I'd hate to lose them. Melissa, Congrats on getting the home projects done. This is the time of the year when I usually start working on projects indoors in order to give myself a reason to avoid going outdoors in this heat. Even though my garden has had squash bugs for a couple of months, they really haven't been doing much apparent damage until the last couple of days. I know it is time to yank out squash plants now, if I can make myself stay outside long enough to do it, so the squash bugs will perish for lack of something to eat. The danger in doing that is that the surviving squash bugs might move to the muskmelon and watermelon plants in order to survive, so maybe I'll take out the squash plants one by one---maybe one per day---so I can continue to harvest melons for as long as possible before the bugs move to those plants. There are times (and this is one of them) when I wish I could just not care about being organic and instead just go nuts and spray all the squash plants with a synthetic pesticide to kill the squash bugs, but as much as I fantasize about doing it, I'm just not willing to use those chemicals in my garden. Sometimes peppers are slow in the heat and then produce very heavily in the autumn. Since yours haven't done much yet, I'm assuming they're saving themselves for the cooler fall weather. Sometimes putting out shallow pans of water for the birds will deter them from eating the tomatoes since what they're really after is water. Sheets will work only if they completely cover the plants like a tent and are held down firmly to the ground to keep birds from getting up underneath them. Bird netting works, but only if the birds cannot find a way underneath it. Those fake owls absolutely do not work so save your money there. Anything that moves in the sun, preferably something highly reflective, often will startle the birds and keep them away. You can use bird flash tape (our Walmart had it earlier in the season, I don't know if they have it now), aluminum pie pans, old CDs, etc. Tie them to the plants or to the cages using thread, string or fishing line and leave them loose so they can twist and turn and move in the wind. Eileen, Those cucumbers are diseased, which is not uncommon because there's tons of diseases that affect cucumbers---they are disease magnets and cucumber beetles spread diseases right and left all summer long. If you haven't fed the plants lately, you might feed them the water-soluble fertilizer of your choice to see if it pushes out a lot of new growth. Then you could remove all the old diseased foliage. I'm not sure what your cucumbers have. You can go to the Cornell University vegetable MD online website and compare your plants to photos there of cucurbit diseases and see if you find a match that helps you figure out what it is. To me, cucumber diseases look so much alike that I rarely bother trying to figure out which one a plant has---it largely is irrelevant because once they're sick and we are this hot, it is hard to save them. I just yank out the cucumbers in late July or early August and plant new seeds for fall. Here's the cucurbits page from vegetablemdonline: Cucurbit Disease Info At Vegetable MD Online With cucumber diseases, you often get multiple diseases at the same time, making diagnosis by photograph really tricky. You can cut off the sunscalded parts of the cucumbers and eat whatever is left. H/J, Normally the spider mite population peaks around late July and starts falling. Hopefully that will happen in your garden (it would help if some rain would fall since spider mites like it dry and dusty). The spider mites I had on my peppers earlier in the summer never did much damage and seem mostly gone now. Perhaps lady bugs or green lacewings or some other beneficial insect ate them. My tomato plants look like crap but are still producing too. That's really all we can ask of them when it is this hot and dry, and when pests and diseases galore are everywhere. Tomatillos do not fall off the plant while very small unless some insect or disease is infesting them. With tomatillos it usually is because some very small tomatillo grubs, sort of like tomato pinworms, infest them. I haven't had them here, but lots of people in OK have a lot of trouble with them and cannot get a tomatillo crop because of them. Spraying the plants in general with Bt might help. Ground cherries are edible, but I found myself unimpressed by them the year I grew them and never bothered growing them again. YMMV. Jerry, I bet it was all the rain that affected your watermelon flavor. I have had heavy rainfall do that to mine some years. I hope the watermelon jelly gels, but even if it doesn't, you'll have yummy watermelon juice to drink. My garden is burning up right along with yours. I could keep watering and maybe keep it going, but there's no point in this heat. I'm going to focus on keeping the peppers, the flower border and the fall tomatoes alive and let everything else go. In a few weeks, I'll plant stuff for fall......if it seems like it might rain again some day. I'm not big on trying to start a fall garden in vicious heat if there's no rain, so reserve the right to change my mind about fall plantings. Really, with lots of canning done, tons of potatoes and onions in dry storage, and the freezers just about full, I can walk away from the garden and know we have had a really productive year despite the weather. We did have 1/3 of an inch of rain yesterday evening. It was nice, but I'm not overly excited about it---today's sunshine probably will suck up all that moisture right out of the ground before the sun sets today. In the overall scheme of things, 0.33" isn't enough to get excited about. Now, if we'd had 1 or 2 or 3" I'd be deliriously happy, but that didn't happen and it almost never happens in July or August, so I'm not getting my hopes up. We've been dry all year and, while that 3" of rain that fell in early July helped a lot, it is long gone and the soil is dry and cracked and parched and it is going to take a lot of rain over a prolonged period of time to turn things around. I just don't see that happening in July or August. So, thinking about how dry we've been most months of the year just made me wonder what things look like statewide in terms of year-to-date rainfall...you know....who's had above average rainfall (Jerry? Nancy? anyone?)....who's had below average rainfall (Me? Amy? Melissa? Eileen? anyone else?).....is anyone sitting right at average rainfall? So, I'm going to go get the average rainfall maps and post them here and we can all look at them and ponder why the weather does what it does. Here's the year-to-date rainfall in inches: OKMesonet Year To Date Rainfall in Inches Of course, the rainfall map in inches is more meaningful if you know how much rain each area receives because there is a huge variation in average rainfall totals across the state. So, here's the map that shows rainfall as a percentage of average rainfall for the same time frame: Year To Date Rainfall As A Percentage of Average The numbers on the above map surprised me. Even folks who have had plentiful rainfall at times aren't doing that well overall. So, one final measurement is the map that shows how large of a rainfall deficit (or surplus) there is at each Mesonet station compared to what would be average rainfall for the same period. Here's that map: Year To Date Rainfall Departure From Average The above map is pretty self-explanatory. Blue is great, orange is awful, and everything else in between could be considered various shades of good or bad. And, really, for our gardens, what matters most is what has happened in the last month, but it has been so dry, I refuse to look at those maps because it would be too depressing. July is the hardest month. Dawn
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rebecca, At our house it usually is not, technically, the heat itself that gets the snap peas. It is the heat-related powdery mildew that gets them even before the heat itself has a chance to get them. Based on that, I think that excellent air flow for sugar snaps is more important than shade.

Dawn

• luvncannin
    7 years ago

I make the orange cleaner too. I want to do grapefruit. I like the smell of grapefruit just not the taste.

Vinegar and quaternary sanitizer is all I use. Any other cleanser sets me off.

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

I haven't tried grapefruit either, Kim. I really don't eat grapefruit, but my daughter does. Maybe I can get her to save her peels for me in a ziplock. Lemon is good too.

I'm so pleased with how healthy my tomatoes look. I'm potting them up today. It seems like a lot of plants but it's really just 7 Brandy Boy, 8 Early Girl, 6 Sun Gold, and 7 Celebration. I'm trying to stay a little more organized this year. And I'm trying to slow my roll on all the things I want to do. Learn to grow them and then plant a ton to preserve for the year. "Learn to grow them" is this year. NOT that I didn't have some success last year, but only with the Early Girl, really. The others made a few tomatoes.

I ran out of potting soil. Maybe I'll buy the potatoes today too.

It's cold here, but it's not windy and it's sunny. Those count for much.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

It's cold here, too; I am going to spend the day reading. Brrr. 10 hours below freezing, minimum temp 24--last night. All looks great outdoors, though. My tomatoes are looking great, too. I'm so tickled, but am going to be in trouble in another couple weeks. I'll think of something.

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

So straw. Is always a no in the garden now-a-days? Right? Or no? I have three blocks of straw that a friend dropped off (thanks) for me to use in my garden. They had been part of their fall decorating. I can throw it on the burn pile (we aren't burning anything anytime soon don't worry) OR can I use it in pathways in my garden. OR will it break down and seep herbicides into my raised beds? What would everyone do? I mulched my ground level tomatoes with straw last year and luckily had no problem, but i didn't break down much over the "winter" and I can scrape it off my garden.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It isn't always a no, but it always is smart to test it if you don't know where or how it was grown. The herbicides that cause the persistent carryover issues are registered for use not just on hay pastures, but also on grain fields, so with either hay or straw, it is wise to assume they might have been sprayed---unless they are Certified Organic.

You could cut up the straw, mix it with soil-less mix and sow beans or seeds into it to see if they develop distorted or sickly foliage after they sprout and grow for a week or two. That simple bioassay test would tell you if it was safe for use.

Or, you can compost it for a year and then test the compost.

I wouldn't think there would be any problem with using it in pathways in between raised beds as long as your ground is level and water wouldn't wash downhill from a pathway to a raised bed sitting at a lower level. Still that's an assumption on my part, and I'd never use straw that way anyhow since my garden slopes and runoff from a pathway could drain down into a raised bed at the lowest end of the garden.

I would like to think that your straw is fine and not contaminated, but I live in the real world where gardeners report issues with contaminated straw, hay, compost and manure every year and that's been going on since around 2000 or 2001, so I know we never should assume an 'imported' material of that type is safe without doing a bioassay to establish its safety. I've yet to hear one single gardener say "I always knew this was going to happen to me and my garden". Instead, they always are shocked, a la' "I cannot believe this happened to me".

The exception would be if you know that you have alfalfa hay or straw because alfalfa is a legume and, therefore, cannot be sprayed with the class of herbicides that cause this problem because they would kill it along with all the other broad-leaved plants they were used on.

Oh, another option is that you could use it to mulch any grassy type crop (like onions, sorghum or corn, for example) because they aren't broad-leaved and it won't hurt them.

Hope this info helps.

It was a busy afternoon here, with one medical call and about 10 fires. Thankfully the wind was low because the fires were fairly fast-moving in some instances and at least one of them was a threat to structures. These may have been arson fires.

I got a lot of things accomplished this morning, and nothing accomplished at home this afternoon. At least tomorrow we start to warm up again, although we'll also be windy. The skimpy amount of rain in our forecast is not likely to be worth much---less than one-tenth of an inch over the next 7 days. Let's hope it all falls in one day. It that huge amount of rain spreads itself out evenly over seven days, no one even would be able to tell that rain fell.

The cold didn't appear to damage anything here overnight. Let's hope we are as lucky tonight.

Dawn

• hazelinok
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks, Dawn. I'll probably just throw it until the burn pile or a compost area. I have no idea about the straw--what kind it is or where it came from.

In new gardening news, the tomatoes have all been up potted now. What size of pot do y'all usually end up with before planting outdoors? I'm sure these will need to be potted up again.

Potatoes are purchased. SO, I have everything I'm going to plant this year. Well, other than some pretties maybe. Maybe. :)

K & K had a cauldron! For $50! I waited until my husband got home and went back to get it, but it had sold. Seriously! I should have paid for it and had them hold it,but the girl said it had been there for a long time and no one showed interest. Until today, of course. But...it wasn't as large as my family's cauldron. And maybe there's an unknown reason I should not have it. The girl said they bought it at an estate sale.

Worked on the scary shed/future coop. It's all cleaned out now. There was a large plastic tub in the far corner with some tarps in it. We started pulling those out and no less than 5 mice came out.

And a little rant. So, we're out working on the shed. A neighbor started spraying herbicide on a field that sets catty corner to our property. My back garden is about 50 ft from where he was spraying. Why?! His house isn't even on that property. It's an empty field. Why does he need to spray it? Why can't it have weeds and wildflowers? The smell was so strong and it made my eyes water. They have a perfectly manicured lawn...and I get that they like that look for their yard, but this is an empty field! Their house is on another property. I'm thinking about posting a sign that says "Organic garden. Please spray with caution". Not that I can call my garden "organic" but it's close. AND, more importantly I don't want it ruined whether organic or not. He was just happily riding around on a lawn mower with some type of trailer sprayer on it. I kept covering my nose, hoping he would get the hint. He didn't.

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

How aggrevating, Hazel! Just a regular old field? Dang.

• Melissa
    7 years ago

All of our neighbors spray in our neighborhood and the smell is awful. I was mowing last year when they started spraying and I had to stop because it was blowing into my face and I started getting choked up. Was very irritating.

I am thinking about getting some blueberry bushes. I want to plant them in containers. What do ya'll think? I know I'll have to put some netting over them to keep them safe from the black birds around here.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Oh man, Hazel, I feel for you. A couple of our neighbors are out there at times with their backpack weed killers. . . I'm thankful our veggies are about 200-300 feet away. . .makes me nervous. Mostly I'm so aggravated by people ESPECIALLY out in the country who have to have their yards looking like the Joneses'. We have lovely bones on our property to work with, and some things to un-do--but not major items. The back half of our 1.5-2-acre property is filled with oaks. . . 70-90 (one of these days, I'm going to take a head-count.) Others around who have similar properties get out and gather up all those leaves every fall and burn em to the ground, leaving their mini-forest floors sparkly clean and bare. Not only do we not burn them (because who can every have enough leaves to mulch), but we leave plenty on the little forest floor, and just concentrate on gather the ones piled up against the many mini-rock walls.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Reporting back on soil testing. . . I still haven't DONE it, Kim and Dawn. But I'm going to. But I have a but. The but is that after this house was built (oh, about 12 years ago), the owners spent a lot of money having dirt hauled in for the yard, removing rocks, and planting grass (Bermuda. . . groan. . . and some fescue, which promptly washed down to the bottom of the sloping yard). And now we have our raised beds built from mostly mulched oak leaves, a bit of my compost, some dirt trucked in by the same neighbor nearby who trucked in truckloads earlier. I'm thinking that there might be 4-7 different kinds of soil here. . . do you still advise me to get soil tests done? I know, I know. Yes, just do it, Nancy. Just for kicks, I got one of the little kits from Lowe's last week and did a test on the potato raised bed. The color perfectly matched the "somewhat acidic" category, Phosphorous was good. The other two didn't work, and I need to re-do--but I've lost the instructions, gotta go find them. So then I went to this fascinating link, http://bonap.org/2008_Soil/SoilTypesRelatedMaps.html . That was fun. I'm realizing now I have no idea what our likely type is, without an exact pinpoint of our exact address as there are several different types right in our neighborhood. So I still didn't really find out anything, but it was fun. You can see that I am easily distracted and amused.

Meanwhile, I LOVE my grow cart. As I told you, our house is very dark. And so for now all I have is the grow cart. But I sure am having fun with it. I'm going to start hardening off the fast-growing tomatoes, a few good pepper plants and many others. I'm thinking I can get the tomatoes in their outdoor homes as soon as that is accomplished, and hopefully that won't be too terribly long since they're growing by leaps and bounds. But I won't rush. . .

And I am SO going to get a mini-greenhouse (at least). I go to bed late, and yet lie awake for 2 more hours usually with gardening buzzing in my brain. It's such a blessing, but REALLY. Get a grip, NRW.

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

Nancy, in the beginning of my adventure I was VERY poor - like sometimes cook outdoors kinda poor - and am still poor, but better. Thus, I will find a way around ANYTHING if I can, but soil testing wasn't one I could get around. There's absolutely no greater benefit than having a soil testing. In addition, you really need to have soil testing done in each part of the garden you'll be growing things in. These microclimates can vary depending upon prior human handiwork, especially questionable ones I've read you describe. The soil test will relieve you of many questions and allow you to know exactly what each section is missing.

Once I had my initial soil testing, I was able to use the heuristic approach following changes. I let my plants tell me what they need, but I know the basics are covered. I have very good soil for Oklahoma clay and any depletion of its organic material and nutrient content is because I've messed with it. They left a special note on my report about how surprised they were and that I only needed to add a touch of nitrogen for heavy feeders, like corn.

He was right, too. My first batch of corn included an overdose or organic materials to fluff up the soil and add nitrogen. I double dug the area, filled it with organic goodies and planted the following summer. I had 5 ears of corn on each of those babies.

I cannot imagine planting a whole slew of crops only to have them fail because one important nutrient wasn't there.

I got lucky with my soil, but testing is mandatory.

bon

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Bon, thank you. For me, it isn't so much the poor at this point, though we keep a close eye on our limited fixed income; it's that I'm lazy and hate to go through paperwork! Truly! I HATE doing that kind of stuff. But that's what my husband is for. He is supposed to keep me accountable, so I will tell him to make me do it, and he will. Okay okay okay. My mandatory TO-DO. Get soil testing done. :)

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

I look forward to your results!

• Rebecca (7a)
    7 years ago

I picked up a new annual Ball canning book this week. Looking at it, they're calling for bottled OR fresh lemon juice in their recipes that use it. I thought bottled was preferable so we knew the exact acid content? Do they know something we don't know now? I'll probably still use bottled, but if it's really safe to use fresh, I'd like to.

Last November I bought a shoebox sized Sterilite container for my seeds. Figured that with my small yard, it would be plenty big enough.

I almost had to sit on it to get it closed yesterday. Thanks y'all.

My head is spinning from reading the Appliances board, trying to decide on a new dishwasher. Not everyone has a $1000 budget for a dishwasher, and I don't want to hand wash. Really seem like a bunch of brand snobs over there, and refuse to even discuss any kind of basic machine. They aren't helping.

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

Get the basic machine, Rebecca. Our 3 month old dishwashers fancy computer thingie went out and had to be replaced. I wish we had saved our money and bought a simple basic machine.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    7 years ago

If you can get a basic machine! Computers in everything now and that is what dies. I have a cheap Amana (since when is Amana cheap???) I don't like it. Dishes just don't come clean. But I think a lot of that is from them taking enzymes out of the detergent. Still DH had to put a new computer board in this one, and it wasn't that old. I hate the silverware on the door. I hate that it doesn't show where in the cycle it is. (Just a light for on or off). It doesn't clean tea out of my cups. Sometimes it leaks, and I don't know why. Somehow it doesn't seem to hold as much as my older ones, but I can't prove that.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hazel, The size cup depends on how many times I pot up while waiting for the weather to stabilize. They almost always end up in at least 20 oz. cups, but some years they've ended up in 28 or 32 oz. cups (which are not easy to find).

I'd post the sign. At least then, if his drift damages your garden, he can't say he didn't know you were growing organically.

I'm sorry you missed out on the chance to get that cauldron. I know how much you wish you had the old one that belonged to one of your family members.

Melissa, If you choose to do blueberries in containers, you should know they will need water often in summer, sometimes daily in the hottest weather. Be sure your soil-less mix both retains water well and drains well as blueberries demand great drainage and they prefer constant moisture in summer. Otherwise they struggle in our heat. If I was going to grow blueberries (which I never will because our water is as alkaline as our unimproved soil was when we moved here), I'd grow the new Brazzelberries, which were developed specifically for container gardening. I am sure I saw them in local big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, and possibly Wal-Mart, here last Spring.

Brazelberries

The least favorite sound I hear in my garden is the sound of a tractor on a nearby ranch going back and forth all day long pulling a big tank sprayer behind it, spraying herbicides. It NEVER fails that the ranches east of us (or northeast or southeast) always seems to spray on days when we have wind out of the east, which must take a lot of planning (or is the worst coincidence ever...over and over again) because our prevailing winds in Spring normally are much more often from the south or north. Why can't they spray on a day when the wind won't carry their herbicide drift right into our garden? So, of course, the east wind carries herbicide drift to our garden and, within a few days of them spraying, I have damaged and/or dying tomato plants and bean plants. It happens pretty much every year, and sometimes 3 or 4 times alone just in the springtime months. If I see them quickly enough (like if they start at the part of their property farthest away from us), sometimes I can get a sprinkler set up between them and my garden, hoping the heavier drops of water will knock down the mist of herbicide before it reaches the garden. Or, I can turn on the sprinkler to water the garden constantly the whole time they're spraying, but that usually results in too much moisture on leaves which leads to early blight and other fungal diseases. I have no quarrel with anyone spraying on their property, but it is their responsibility to spray on low-wind days and to use the right size of droplets so their herbicides don't float through the air to our place. With the way some formulations of herbicides volatize nowadays, even people who are very careful to do everything right still can seriously harm or kill our gardens, and I've occasionally seen some people spray at such a high rate that it is a wonder any non-grassy plants within a mile of them even survive. It makes me crazy. There's no real solution. No one I know intends to harm or kill my plants (or anyone else's), but it still happens with great regularity. I know people who have so many agricultural operations spraying herbicides so much near them that they had to give up growing tomatoes because the drift/overspray killed their tomato plants every single year. That is just sad.

The soil on our land changes, sometimes totally and completely, from clay to almost pure sand to almost pure silt to sandy-silt and back to clay again, sometimes every 10 or 20 feet, so you cannot trust soil maps because they do not map it out reliably to that scale. Plus, you have no idea what someone else did/didn't bring in or remove or alter before your bought your place. For example, locals here told me repeatedly in our early years that our place "used to have" great soil before the Dust Bowl years and erosion carried it all away. It was discouraging to hear, but I'd already figured out that our icky red clay in the garden area was really clay subsoil because on adjacent higher ground with lots of drainage gullies cut by rain, I could see sandy soil (and it washes down onto our place in heavy rain) and I could see exposed red clay subsoil in layers beneath it in some of those gully walls. For a long time, I thought I understood what our soil was like in various places, whether it was red clay or reddish-brown sandy clay, or brownish clayey sand, or whatever....and I did. Then, just a couple of years ago, our son broke ground to build his house on our property, and he discovered both yellow clay and gray clay, and those were a surprise (and not a pleasant one) to me. So, maybe someday we'll find some rich, blackland prairie soil somewhere since since we have almost everything else. (The rocks are in the creeks.)

The newer a person is to gardening, the more important a soil test is. Experienced gardeners generally can just look at their plants and diagnose any soil deficiencies based on the plants' color and/or growth versus a lack of proper growth or proper color or proper production. So, you have to decide for yourself if you've gardened long enough here yet to be able to look at your plants and figure out what they need without a soil test. Some people can do that in a heartbeat, others can't.

Too many people just go buy a 10-10-10 fertilizer or whatever and use it every year without fail, not understanding that while the nitrogen generally will get used up pretty quickly, the phosphorus will not. Our soils here in this region tend to have high levels of phosphorus anyway before we even begin adding any more, and some of them are high in potassium, so often all a gardener needs to add is nitrogen...or lots of nitrogen, a little potassium and little to no phosphorus. So, for those folks who throw on a balanced fertilizer every year when maybe only nitrogen is needed, the P and K will continue to accumulate in the soil until it gets so high it interferes in various growth and absorption processes. And, as we all should have learned by this point in our gardening lives, an excess of any nutrient in the soil can make it impossible for plant roots to absorb other nutrients they need, and when you see that, the solution is not more fertilizer---it often is to cut back and use less. Or none. That's why a soil test matters---you need to know what your plants need before you can begin to guess how to feed them. Knowing your soil pH matters too. Here's an easy example. Plants need iron. Even in soil with lots of iron in it, you can see iron deficiency symptoms---not because the iron isn't there, but rather because the high pH of that alkaline soil interferes in the plant roots' ability to absorb the iron.

I've long focused, even before moving here, on feeding the soil via the addition of copious amounts of organic matter, and to let the soil feed the plants. That doesn't mean I won't use supplemental feeding, because I will, but I use it lightly. For this feeding of the soil to work well enough that the soil indeed does feed the plants, you really, really, really have to amend the soil constantly. I never get to a point where I think my soil needs less compost because no matter how much I add, the heat eats it up. This is one reason I add mulch pretty much every week. That mulch decomposes and feeds the soil and there always has to be more mulch being added to replace what is breaking down and being absorbed. And, for organic growing/feeding to work, a gardener must have active life in the soil---if the soil lacks all the microbes necessary to break down organic matter and organic fertilizers into the components that then can be absorbed by plant roots, then the plants are going to starve to death. This is something that folks who are new to organic gardening (particularly in containers where you have to go out of your way to get that biological activity added to the container) often fail to understand---the importance of having biologically active soil. Many gardening problems self-correct once the soil is biologically active.

So, it is your choice whether to get a professional soil test (I think everyone should get one at least once) or to wing it with those little store-bought tests (some brands are pretty good, some aren't) or whether to just keep adding compost and waiting for the soil to reach that magical point of perfection (it does happen eventually). Well, I believe it happens eventually. I know it happens with any soil with a decent percentage of clay. It can be much harder in extremely sandy soils where nutrients leach out of the sand every time it rains. All you have to do is visit the sandier parts of our county (to our west) to see how different sandy soil (not sandy loam, but pure sugar sand) is. We looked at a place with sandy soil and almost purchased it, but I worried about several things (including RKNs and sand's inability to hold moisture and nutrients) and, ultimately, we chose a place with a lot of clay instead. I'm not sorry we did. For all its issues with poor drainage, it is much easier to amend clay to drain well than to amend sand to hold moisture and nutrients well. Folks with sandy loam kinda have the best of both worlds, but even they have to amend their soil because heat eats compost.

Rebecca, Which book do you have? It is hard to comment it on without seeing it. Normally though, if the lemon is for flavoring only, it doesn't matter if you use bottled or freshly-squeezed, but if its role in that specific recipe is to keep the pH in a safe range, then it needs to be the bottled ReaLemon because it consistently tested at the same pH as vinegar, making them basically interchangeable for that pH purposes. The average person looking at a canning recipe may or may not be able to discern if the lemon juice in a given recipe is for flavor or for pH, so if in doubt, it always pays to go with the ReaLemon.

Dawn

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

A couple of things of note today. I LOVE how the herbicide sprayed leaves (that were on the neighbors property) blew into our garden today. They are tinted green from his chemicals.

AND be super cautious when hardening off plants when you have chickens free ranging. You might THINK you have your broccoli plants high enough to avoid hen notice...but you probably don't. Hens seem to enjoy broccoli leaves. But they're so cute and so dumb that you can't even be mad at them. And they give you yummy eggs.

About the soil testing. I'm not smart enough to really understand the test I had done last late spring. They had to test my soil as "compost" because it was so chunky. I THINK it came back as super nitrogen low and alkaline. BUT, I'm not a scientist, so I didn't understand all the numbers. It's like that with my raw data on my chromosomes from my ancestry test--I wanna be smart, but I don't really understand what it all means. I see that I have the red hair gene, but what do all those numbers/letters mean?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sadly, the herbicide thing will only get worse.

With chickens, I harden off my plants under a low tunnel to keep these current chickens out of them. The older chickens don't bother them, but all the ones that hatched last year have poor manners and poor impulse control and will try to snatch a bite from a plant even while I'm walking along carrying the flat. I have to hold down the edges of the row cover with metal fence posts or the chickens stick their head underneath the row cover. I can tell this will be a problem with the greenhouse to and I'm going to have to keep the screens on the vents and doors closed. These misbehaving chickens are making me want to move my greenhouse to the fenced-in back garden, where the 8' tall fence would exclude the chickens. That would be a major chore and not really one I want to engage in at this busy planting time. Maybe we'll move it next autumn or winter.

Chickens are cute and produce eggs and follow me around the yard just chattering away as they dig and scratch, but I can and do get mad at them if they are damaging my plants. Not that getting mad does any good. They just look at me like I'm totally irrelevant to their lives and waddle away.

On your soil test, they should have made recommendations about what to add to the soil to bring it up to optimal condition. Did they not include that information in your test?

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Hahaha, Hazel, I love it. Cracked me up. Well, it took me fifteen minutes just to figure out how to submit the soil and where and all that. Oh brother. Did you just request the routine test? Did they have a whole different procedure for the "compost"? And I'm sure my raised bed soils would be in the "compost" category, too.

Nevertheless, I'm going forward. Our extension office is in Coweta, which is only 35 minutes away. I can stop and see what the co-op has while we're there. . .

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

I just took the samples in and they were chunky so they had to be tested as compost. And I had to pay extra--maybe $25 for the test (because it was tested as compost) and I got no recommendations. It was the OSU extension office in Cleveland County. I wonder I got no recommendations because it was tested as compost rather than soil. Hmmm.

• Rebecca (7a)
    7 years ago

Dawn, thank you for the info on the Brazelberries. I'd been toying with the idea of getting my mom a blueberry bush (she loves them) for her birthday, and something container sized would be perfect. Great idea, like you read my mind.

And, the Ball book is the one they put out a new edition of each year, the paperback. That's why it caught my eye. They said fresh or bottled in almost all recipes - jams, preserves, salsas, etc.

I did not get sugar snaps in this weekend, but will be able to by next weekend. Time got away from me today. Needed to do some work inside, and have a restful afternoon. And make a king cake. :)

Amy, Amana is within my budget, but I didn't like how they felt in the showroom. The Whirlpools, which are on top of my list, felt more sturdy. I do not want one with a brain smarter than mine. My current one is an Admiral, which came with the house when I bought it 10 years ago, and is no longer made and parts are no longer made for it. I estimate it to be 13-15 years old, and is starting to make noise like a dying walrus. It's a basic, dial start, no frills model that has honestly done a decent job cleaning, as long as there's nothing on the items when I put them in. I want another basic machine, just not the absolute cheapest, which I think my current one is. I want clean dishes, heated dry, sanitize/high heat cycle, rinse and hold, and tall tub. It doesn't need to take out the trash and change my oil too. As much as I'd love an $800 Bosch, it's not happening on my budget, even at the Hahn outlet. But I'm not asking the appliance board about it. I'll just cross my fingers, get the best I can in budget, and deal with it. It'll be better than hand washing everything.

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

That's all I wanted too, Rebecca. A basic machine that's not the very cheapest. It's just not as easy as it once was. One thing I do like with my fancy machine is it is QUIET. I think Amy is right about the enzymes. Someone recently posted a homemade detergent. I'm going to try it. We have well water (and a softener) but this soap/detergent is supposed to be good for hard water. The girl who posted the recipe said it was great for the film that was on her dishes. I'll pass it along if it works.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

I never had a dishwasher until 3 years ago (well briefly at times, in a condo I was in or in one of my apartments). I love our dishwasher but am not married to it. If--WHEN--it goes, I'll happily go back to washing dishes by hand. Really, when I think about it, it's like folding laundry. A fifteen-minute job--a bore, but not hard work. I'd rather spend the money on garden supplies. . . or my next new freezer, into which the garden produce will go. LOL

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

I find that water softeners are extremely helpful, especially with laundry. You didn't hear it from me: U can buy trisodium phosphate (TSP) at hardware stores, like Lowe's, and add it to your cleaning solutions. Tiny amounts occasionally on tough laundry and cleaning jobs is sufficient.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hazel, Oh, I bet they don't make recommendations for compost, so in that case, I don't see how the test was very helpful.

Rebecca, I would love to grow the Brazelberries, if only our water wasn't so alkaline. I know good and well I wouldn't want to have to acidify the water daily before watering, so I choose to pass on the idea. Hopefully your water is not as alkaline as ours. I guess I shouldn't be surprised our water is so alkaline--our water co-op uses well water from underground and the ground is alkaline, so it seems natural that the water would be as well.

I assume that the canning book you bought is the Ball Blue Book. That's the one sold on the canning aisle and updated roughly every 3 to 5 years. I've never sat down with all the precious editions and looked at the dates to figure out how often a new one comes out, but it seems like there's been 4 or 5 editions since we moved here in 1999. The current one is the 37th edition and I believe it came out in 2014. If there is a newer one edition published in 2017, I haven't seen it yet. And, in any case, if the newer one deviates from the bottled lemon juice "rules" for acidulation, I'd be leery of that and still follow the National Home Center Food Preservation Center's guidelines for when bottle citrus juice must be used because they make the rules and their standards are the safety standards that must be met. The Ball Blue Book, when all is said and done, is just a recipe book and their recipes and recommendations generally are in compliance with NHCFP, but when they aren't, I ignore the BBB and follow the NHCFP. If that 37th edition of the Ball Blue Book is the one you have, they still do recommend (on page 6) bottled lemon juice be used (along with 5% vinegar, citric acid, citrus fruit, as specified in individual recipes) when the lemon juice is being used as an acidulant, so they still are in compliance with NHCFP in that area, which is an important safety issue. So, I flipped over to the tomato section beginning on page 32 to see what they said there, and either citric acid or bottled lemon juice is recommended there as well. In the jam and jelly section, they do allow fresh or bottled lemon or lime juice in some recipes, as well as (at times) grated lemon or lime peel/zest. In those cases, fruits already have some acidity so I am guessing they're using a little lemon or lime both as a flavor booster and to add a little extra acidity---but with the acidity, it is not a major player in the recipe for acidulation so that's why they don't specify bottled juice. (Examples of this are in the Blueberry-Lime and Blueberry-Lemon Jam recipes, and I'm sure there's others as well, but those are two specific recipes that come to mind because they are recipes I use.) In the section on drying fruit as a preservation technique, they do mention the use of lemon or lime juice (not specifying bottled, so I assume fresh is okay there) as a fruit pretreatment (antioxidant). I haven't used lemon or lime juice in this way. I simply use citric and ascorbic acid in the form of Fruit Fresh. If you see references in any other recipes in the book for fresh lemon or lime juice instead of bottled, that's because it is not being used in that specific case as an acidulant, but just as a flavoring.

With our brand new dishwasher, which we bought in latest November or earliest December 2016, we bought a nice Kenmore---not the top of the line and not the cheapest model either. Right out of the box, from the moment it was installed it wouldn't work and two big things had to be replaced---essentially all of the electronic brains that run the thing. The repair technician (who works for a big appliance repair company that do the repairs for most brands of appliances in the USA under original or extended warranties) said either we could get a new washer paid for by the warranty or he could order the parts and fix it. Since it already was installed, we were fine with the new part fix. The two parts he ordered cost just slightly less than the cost of the brand new machine itself. The repair guy has worked for this warranty company for something like 30 years and he advised getting pretty much anything but a Bosch. Yes, he's aware people love them but he wouldn't put one in his own home and I didn't bother asking why either because I just assumed his opinion was formed on the basis of working on them for years and years. I know they're a big favorite over at the appliance forum, and at one point I wanted one, but also heard enough negative comments that I went with a different brand. Our first dishwasher in this house lasted about 13 or 14 years. Our second one about 4 or 5. They don't make appliances like they used to, so I don't see any point in buying the more expensive top-of-the-line models because none of them last like appliances once did, no matter how much you spend. We also were careful to buy the extended warranty too because the original warranties aren't as good as they once were either. Having replaced every major kitchen appliance in this house since November (not by choice, but because they all chose to die more or less together in the midst of the holiday baking season), I am completely over appliance shopping. I love my new appliances, but would have been happier if the older ones had kept working for a few more years. Nowadays, repairs are so costly, especially if you don't have the extended warranty after the original warranty expires, that it is just cheaper to get a new one than to repair the current one, and that is frustrating. You cannot go by brand names either, because so many appliance companies have changed hands, that (for example) Maytag doesn't make Maytag appliances any more. Just figuring out who makes what is a very time-consuming experienced and I'm not sure any one brand is much (or any) better than another.

Bon, I don't think I'd add TSP to laundry since it is a caustic substance, even in small amounts. I use it, for example, to clean walls before painting them and wear gloves to protect my skin. There's no way I'd use even a small amount of it in our washing machine to wash our clothing. Many people who want better cleaning performance than they can get from modern laundry detergents since phosphates were removed do order STTP online (Amazon, etc.) and add it to some loads. The difference in using TSP and STTP is that the STTP is the right kind of phosphate for laundry loads and doesn't leave the same residue, sometimes described as a slime or a precipitate in the rinse water, as TSP does. I believe they are similar but not exactly the same thing. TSP is alkaline and STTP is not. I already have highly alkaline water, so don't want to make it even more alkaline. Here's one of the million threads discussing STTP (vs TSP, in this case) from the Laundry Forum:

TSP Vs. STTP

I've never used STTP, but I've been thinking of ordering some.

Sometimes if you look in Mexican grocery stores, you can find laundry detergents imported from Mexico that are formulated differently than those formulated for US customers, and those may/often do contain phosphates. Doing laundry has become so much more complicated than it used to be---and I blame the removal of phosphates from laundry detergents for a lot of that....and the environmental rules that have caused manufacturers to increasingly decrease the amount of water used per load in each new generation of machines. It seems like it takes twice as long as it used to just to do a load of laundry. I don't see how we're saving energy if we're running machines twice as long now as we did in, let's say, the 1980s or even the 1990s.

On the other hand, at least we're not outside in the yard or on the porch on our hands and knees with a washboard and a wash tub, scrubbing away at clothes being washed with lye soap on our weekly Laundry Day. I remember laundry from the 1960s---prior to the development and wide use of permanent press fabric, and wouldn't wish that era on anyone either. Does anyone else remember their mom or grandmother having to sprinkle and iron practically everything? I didn't mind line-dried clothes (linens off the line smell heavenly to me even still), but the endless ironing of that era is long gone and best forgotten. My family would just have to live with wrinkled sheets if we had to do that nowadays, because there's no way I'd iron every sheet in the house! That would cut into gardening and food preservation time way too much.

Dawn

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Our big upright freezer went on the blitz a year ago. Our problem is that out here, there are no appliance repair people or shops anywhere near. . . a trip from Tulsa to us is always an automatic service charge of $100-$125, we found. Then they'd have to diagnose and then come back. Well, for now we're using our smaller extra upright freezer that had been retired and sitting in the shop. . . requires defrosting a couple times a year. Works for now but if we grow lots of veggies, will be needing a bigger one. We've been looking for a year. . . I thought, I know. I'll check Craig's list. Would be lovely to find good used ones. And I know in MN they were in plentiful supply. Folks so often leave freezers behind when they move. And so I checked Craig's list and sure enough--there are many offered. We'll probably go that route one of these days. My friends and family in MN had quick access to that route or the "new, slightly damaged appliance outlets." I see a couple are in Tulsa, too, but they seemed kind of expensive.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    7 years ago

yesterday, I got an error message when I tried to load any thing from garden web. Eventually it loaded, but new posts are not bumped to the top like normal. Kim's Greenhouse thread is stuck at the top. Anyone else notice this?

The Whirlpool plant here in Owasso makes washers for more than one company. I used to know what they were, but I think Amana was one of them.

For years I made laundry soap, from fels naptha, washing soda and borax. You were supposed to add vinegar to the fabric softener cup. It cleaned clothes ok. Every once in a while I would wash with detergent, as the clothes eventually seemed to get a coating on them. I stopped this when one day I felt the top of the washer tub. It had a thick layer of...soap scum(?)...but worse, kind of like liquid hand soap dried on the dispenser. I didn't think this could be good for the machine or my clothes, so I quit using homemade. I played around with DIY dishwasher soap, but never found anything satisfactory. Of course the name brand detergents aren't satisfactory either.

It was supposed to be a low of 40 last night. I left cool season seedlings in the greenhouse. It went to 35. I haven't been out to see how they did.

• luvncannin
    7 years ago

Mine did fine down to 39. So far so good

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

I noticed that about the greenhouse thread. Was wondering if I clicked on something that kept it on the top (for me).

I might try my friend's dishwasher soap recipe. It has salt in it, which is supposed to be good for hard water, right? The water softener the plumber chose for us is a non-salt one. It's nice 'cause it's small, but I'm not sure it is the best for very hard well water. Our water is better, but it's still pretty hard. My new kitchen faucet has a bit of film on it already. I wish I would have researched a little before he installed it. It all went so fast (only it didn't, if you know what I mean.)

The Harry Potter bed is made. Just need to add the dirt and find the plants. Need to read One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi. lol Mandrake is a real plant, but it doesn't really have the screaming baby root thing whose cry is fatal. Wolfsbane? Asphodel? Dittany? Anyone grow any of these?

Suddenly I've been inspired to be Professor Pomona Sprout for Halloween this year.

I am home today and wish it was sunny. Need to plant onions, but I'm cold.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    7 years ago

The seedlings look ok in my greenhouse.

I think I'll start pepper seeds tonight. The Suraj eggplant is up, but the white ribbed chard (old seed) still hasn't come up.

I know we need rain, but I want sunshine! It can rain after dark.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nancy, We have 3 freezers. Of course, as we empty one out, we put the last bits of what was in that freezer into one of the other two and unplug the one. Then, as the year goes on and we use more stuff, we consolidate it into one freezer and unplug the second one.

I know, I know, I know....three freezers sounds excessive, but in a great harvest year, we fill up all three. Even in a so-so garden year we easily fill up two. The only reason we need three is for when the fruit harvest is stupendous. I doubt it will be stupendous this year since the trees have bloomed so early.

Our first "extra" fridge out in the garage was a $50 Craig's List find. Our son actually found it and bought it probably around 2003 or 2004, and we used it for about 8 or 10 years, so it was a worthwhile investment.

My dream fridge and freezer would be huge walk-in ones out in the garage like what you'd have in a restaurant, but I sure wouldn't like having to pay for the amount of electricity it would take to operate them.

Amy, I saw where you mentioned that on FB yesterday, but I didn't have similar issues myself. I think we can just assume it is some sort of computer gnomes....because that's what Spike used to blame for all oddness when he owned GW.

I had noticed that Kim's thread is stuck at the time. It is like they made it a sticky post, though I'm sure they didn't.

I've made regular soap a few times, just for the fun of doing it, but never have made laundry soap.

I think our low was forecast to be around 50 or so and we dropped only to 52 by around 7 a.m. We've now warmed up all the way to a toasty 56 with misty, foggy almost drizzly stuff in the air. The moisture in the air makes it seem colder than it really is. We get down near freezing a couple of nights later in the week, but have to get through the severe weather threat first tomorrow----though our area is only on the far western end of the area where severe weather is even remotely likely. I expect Arkansas may get the worst of this weather tomorrow.

Kim, Yay! Are y'all expecting the brutal winds tomorrow that will cause dangerous wildfire conditions?

Hazel, I do know what you mean. It seems like time crawls at the pace of a glacier when your kitchen is in the non-functioning state, but then everyone wants a decision now, not yesterday, when they want you to choose something so that they can install it, and that hurts your ability to take your time and research before making certain decisions.

Congrats on the completion of the Harry Potter bed.

Mandrake is real but because of its toxicity issues, I wouldn't plant it if I had pets or children. It is from the Mediterranean so ought to be able to tolerate our climate if you even could find it.

Wolf's Bane is real and really deadly. It is in the aconite family, and has many common names including monkshood and Queen of All Poisons. Some members of the aconite family are grown in gardens, but you have to be really careful about using them---be sure to get the least toxic ones. Check out this story about a UK gardener who died, possibly after brushing up against an aconite plant. I'm shocked people grow these plants on purpose.

British Gardener Dies After Brushing up Against A Wolf's Bane Flower

Asphodel is a plant family. They are sort of like lilies with multiple flowers growing up a central stem. Fairly obscure. You might try one of the big online suppliers that carry a wide range of plants. Annie's Annuals has White Asphodel sometimes. I would imagine they sell more of them than they did in the pre-Harry Potter days.

Dittany is a name used for various plants. The one I'm most familiar with is Dittany of Crete, a wild oregano family shrub that is native only to a certain place on the island of Crete. I believe it is grown more as an ornamental or a healing herb than a culinary one. I know some folks who are really into herbs do grow Dittany of Crete. I don't remember the last time I saw a dittany plant in a nursery---maybe the late 1990s or early 2000s, but you might find it in a local nursery or you could order one online. If you are familiar with the ornamental oregano "Kent's Beauty", which is related to but not the same as Dittany of Crete, then you'd recognize the flowers of it as being similar to those of Dittany of Crete. Like all oregano family plants, Dittany of Crete needs great drainage.

I've never read a Harry Potter book or seen any of the movies as Chris was sort of beyond that stage when the books came out, but it sounds like they are filled with fascinating plants, albeit a lot of them sound like something a witch or warlock would grow and use. I guess that is to be expected given the nature of the books.

Dawn

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

Wow. It warmed up nicely. I dug the trench in the onion bed....and realized too late that I do not have enough of the Dixondale fertilizer. Does anyone have a suggestion on a substitute? I want to plant the onions this week and don't want to wait on an online order. I had about half enough. I fertilized lightly in the trench.

I became aware last year of a weed that is insistent. Almost as insistent as Bermuda. It has an elaborate underground root system and what I'll call stolons. No idea what it is, but dug a lot of it out of the onion bed this morning.

So, for those of you who solarize your gardens, can any air get under the plastic or does that ruin the process? I put one sheet of plastic down this morning and I'm still getting a bit of wind under it. The plastic already has moisture in it though.

I think I'll leave the HP plants alone as tempting as it is. I will buy some other stuff and pretend that they are the plants from the books. I'll try to find something that looks close. Was planning on doing that anyway with some of the pretend herbs like gillyweed. The books are really good for adults too and they get better and more grown-up with each book. It's hard to find time to read now-a-days. THEN, I was thinking I could choose colors for one of the Hogwarts houses. I feel like I would be in Hufflepuff, but those online tests always put me in Ravenclaw. Anyway...

We have one extra refrigerator and one extra freezer in the shop. Unfortunately we have to share those with the band food stuff. We are in charge of feeding the band at all their events. I keep telling myself that I only have 2 and a half years and then it's over. And I will miss it. And I will cry.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather today.

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

Hazel, you recently received your onions I think? They have plenty of energy to get down to business until you get some fertilizer. Give em a bit of water after planting. I know how hard it is to get things done. I'd go ahead and plant. fert later.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    7 years ago

Hazel, you might consider a Native American herb bed. They will be easier to find and probably do better in our climate. Of course that means all new research...

I agree with Bon, I have never fertilized my onions other than with compost and maybe Garden Tone. They grew fine. Probably not as big as Dawn's, but I got onions. Blood meal is a high nitrogen fertilizer which we are trying this year with the onions.

The greenhouse thread has gone from the top of my forum page, but things are still not coming up with most recent posts.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hazel, You do have plenty of time to add fertilizer in the trench after planting like Bon suggested, so that's probably what I'd do.

You can order more DD fert or mix up your own. If you want to make your own, look for one with a 1-2-1 ratio (I believe DD's is 10-20-10) and then add a good granular organic fertilizer containing micronutrients. I'd probably use Garden-Tone because that's what I have, but any organic fertilizer will help, even if it does not have the exact same micronutrients as DD's.

Tell us more about your plant with stolons and we'll help you figure it out. The one in my garden with gigantic finger-sized stolons is Johnson grass, and it is bermuda grass on steroids. The one we used to have, until I laboriously dug it out every spring for 6 or 8 years until I finally got it all (maybe, it could try to attempt a comeback any time) with thin stolons was ragweed. Another that had very woody stolons very deep (easily 10" deep, often up to 12-14" deep) and big knotted joints in between two or more stolons branching off in different directions was greenbriar (smilax)l I still haven't gotten out all the greenbriar, but I keep trying.

I don't think the world ends if some air gets under plastic while solarizing, but I do think it works best if you keep the plastic held down as tightly to the ground as possible in order to get the best heat buildup. Lots of moisture is good as it helps roast those plants.

I think it would be easy to plant Harry Potter lookalike plants that are not toxic. I'm sure some people have done it. Maybe they've posted lists or photos you could find with a Google search. I always think that one day I'll start reading the HP books, but let's get real.....most of the time, if I am reading, it is a garden book. I've been rereading some of Dick Raymond's very old gardening books this winter and marveling at how many of his recommended practice endure to this day.

I know you will miss feeding the band, and you will cry. Then you'll dry up your tears and move on and find other things that make you just as happy. Sometimes I joke with our firefighters that they are my Cub Scouts and I'm their den leader or they are my team and I'm the team mom. The only difference in little boys and big boys and their meals, drinks and snacks is that the big boys need a lot more water, Gatorade and food than the little boys do.....when Fran and I are out there at a fire taking care of our firefighters it is not unlike what we did as moms with kids....just that we have bigger kids now. They still need to be rehydrated and fed to give them the energy to do what they need to do.

Amy, I wonder why this website is so buggy lately? It isn't just here. Weather Underground has been far crazier, and worse and worse and worse ever since IBM bought it. I expect things will eventually get better. These computer bugs can't be blamed on our wild winter weather, so the folks in charge prolly are working hard to fix them. Let's hope.

Dawn

• luvncannin
    7 years ago

I add the fertilizer 2 weeks after planting. I think that's what DD website says. And I just use veggie tone.

Kim

• Rebecca (7a)
    7 years ago

*Sigh* I'm also in the market for a small chest freezer for the garage. Can't even grasp that idea in the midst of all the dishwasher research. Next tax refund season will be the refrigerator. Aaack.

I haven't checked my pots and plants in several days. Maybe I should.

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

If my broccoli and cabbage aren't fully hardened off after today, I'm not sure what would do it. I left them on the back patio when I left to pick Ethan up and take him to Edmond. I got home about 7 and my husband said they had blown all over the back yard! He picked them up and put them back in their tray. But, several of their cups broke (they were getting soggy anyways) and I have some broken leaves. I may lose a couple, but between today and the chicken attack over the weekend, these things should be able to handle anything.

Dawn, your firefighter guys appreciate you so much, I'm sure of it. Their work is hard and exhausting and the energy you give them through care, food, and drink mean so much. Even our little (some aren't so little) band kids get super hot in their uniforms especially during marching seasons like 2016 and greatly appreciate the snacks, meals, and especially drinks...and they're not fighting fires! Just marching routines and playing instruments.

Oddly enough, there aren't many pics of Harry Potter gardens online. I found one. She has great ideas.

Thanks, Amy, Bon, KIm, and Dawn for the onion fertilizer suggestions. I have Garden Tone. So, if I choose not to order more Dixondale, I should mix up a 10 20 10 fertilizer with the Garden Tone? It might be easier to just order some Dixondale. Their pamphlet says to add the fertilizer to the trench before planting, but I'll do it after. I guess I want to mimic what I did last year because the onions did so well.

The weed is ragweed. I looked up the weeds/grasses you mentioned, Dawn, and it's ragweed for sure. I touched a lot of it today. Maybe that's why my head hurts.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Whew. I'm exhausted. Just read back through this thread. Fun reading though. First--the hoop tunnels. We can't really put rebar in, Dawn, as that gravel the raised beds are on is thick and compacted. BUT I'm thinking we can just put the PVC in the cinder block holes at either side--and stabilize them with packed down dirt in the holes. I'll discuss with GDW--he comes up with some good ideas--seems like the cinder block beds would be pretty easy to put hoops tunnels onto.

Well, we actually had 3 freezers, too, until the big one went on the blink. :) Have a small chest type one in the shop; had the one we're currently using, which was not being used, and was in the shop. But we agree that a big one like the broken one is on the horizon for this summer. An extra fridge would be great--and I'll be watching for Craigs list or other good bargains around.

I've not grown broccoli before; have some seedlings, but they're pretty puny. . . I set them out today. But now having read hardening off above, will continue doing that and see where they go--those and the cabbage. The tomatoes look awesome; peppers, not bad. And by the way, the new green bell pepper seeds I bought last week have all popped up this week so I'm liking that.

After moving our raised bed out from the railing by 12 inches, I better find something that will grow in it! It's the one that's in full hot sun! (Though we DID manage to grow a dozen butternut squash in it last year in nothing but the oak leaves and a little dirt and compost. . . .) okra, right? maybe watermelons? Some of my herbs could go in there I bet, and fill in the blank spaces with lots of zinnias! :) Late night, early morning.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    7 years ago

Nancy, southern peas. They do well during the hot dry months. NOT black eyed peas. I mean you can if you want, but pink eye purple hull, or one of the others tastes better. You can pick when the pods are small and skinny and eat like snap beans.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nancy, I'm sure y'all will find a way. It does seem like you could put the hoops' ends into one of the openings in the cinder blocks and pack soil or gravel in there to stabilize it.

I agree with Amy on southern peas...grow ANY kind of southern pea but black-eyed peas, which are nothing special. I vary what I grow from year to year, but there's always at least one or two varieties of Pink Eye Purple Hull peas, and usually some sort of crowder, zipper, cream or lady peas...any or all of them. The bonus with Pink Eye Purple Hulls is that the hulls actually do turn purple, and you can save the hulls (accumulating them in a freezer bag in the freezer if you don't get enough for any one picking) and make Pink Eye Purple Hull Jelly with them. In the poor, post-Civil War days, southern women had to be creative and use every bit of every available food that they had, and I suspect that's where PEPH Jelly came from. I do wonder who was sitting around shelling peas and decided to try making jelly from the hulls? It isn't an idea that would have jumped into my head.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange has an awesome selection of southern peas, and so do Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and Victory Seeds. You can find plain old Pink Eye Purple Hull southern peas on just about any seed rack. Southern peas like warm soil, so we don't plant them until April or May or even later. I often use them as a succession crop after a cool season crop comes out of the ground, and they also make a great summer cover crop/green manure crop/compost crop.

Dawn

• hazelinok
    7 years ago

111 onions planted. And that was just one bundle. Some of the Texas Legends were big, so I put them with the herbs. Still need to plant Red Creole. Maybe Thursday.

Another sheet of plastic put down. I hope this solarizing works well. I'm doing a little at a time.

Hope everyone had a nice day and was productive. I feel productive.

• chickencoupe
    7 years ago

Compost crop! Wow. I need to go plant a whole bunch peas. Didn't even think about it. My Austrian peas are coming up slowly in some parts. I didn't have innoculant for them, but I do now. i should just plant the edible peas. Need MOOR ha

I was so into it today, Bill drove up and I wondered if he lost his job, but he was right on time. I lost my mind in the garden, today.

Overcast? Check.
    Warm? Check.
    Seedlings need to be potted up? Check.

potatoes tomorrow, hopefully.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    7 years ago

I know, Bon! As soon as Amy mentioned peas, I was thinking, legumes good. The with Dawn's comments, yeah, I am all about compost crops!! :)

Oh what a fabulous day! Thanks Hazel--it was a tremendously productive day. I got several batches of leaves gathered and mulched, put in little piles where they'll go into various beds. Put out little seedlings for hardening.

Mixed soil enrichers to put into the dog pen raised beds. . . I went out and had to dig down to the bottom of one to see what was going on. . .it was looking GOOD. Remember--the beds that began with 16 inches deep of oak leaves 1 1/2 years ago to begin them, then added about 4-6 inches of regular topsoil and a bit of compost last year, for their first year of growing. Well, there were about 3-4 inches of matted leaf mold at the bottom for the most part, next layer of 8 inches was pretty nice stuff nice and crumbly but with a lot of little leaf bits. Not a lot of worms, but a few here and there.

I had mixed up a bunch of peat, kelp, a bit of topsoil and a little bit of sand, a little rock dust, and was starting to mix it in with the top few inches. GDW came over and asked if I could use some help and I said sure, you can start at the other end. Well, he did, and dug all the way to the bottom about 3 feet down the bed and said, "Well since I've got it dug to the bottom do you suppose I could just put some more of that rotted firewood in?" I just laughed and groaned and said go for it. Groaning because I hadn't meant this to be a 3-hour adventure. And so we did. It appears, Dawn, that your new biggest hugelkultur fan is Garry Dean--even though he can't say the word. Told him it was a good thing we had plenty of nitrogen sources this year. And I'm a little concerned about how hot the beds could get--although we grew a few good peppers, zucchini, a couple tomatoes and a few potatoes last year while the beds were cooking. . .this year I'll make sure to get a nice large-sized shade cloth.

GDW, mostly, carted heavy heavy big old rocks here and there for bordering a bed; we put heavy layers of cardboard under the rocks for a "B" grass barrier; I spent nearly two hours trying to get a 6' tall burning bush out of an enormous gardening container to plant in the ground, as it's so far away to get water to, and plus I didn't think the poor thing deserved to be in a container. (I wasn't the one who initially put it there, but have been feeling bad for it for 2 years now) I never thought I'd get it out of the container, but turns out that was the relatively easy part. The hard part was digging a hold to put it in--15 minutes to get it out, an hour, 45 minutes to get a hole dug. Now I know why it was put in a pot to begin with.

Glorious. . . nowhere else I'd rather be than out doing hard work in the yard. Give me a choice of dusting the furniture or sweating over 40-60 pound rocks, I'll take the rocks any day.

• luvncannin
    7 years ago

I will have to get out and fertilize tomorrow. I did not remember that right so I am glad you brought that up.

Dawn the winds were crazy high here Tuesday and the green house is still stable.

However 2200 acres burned Tuesday just west of us. Several home were lost and many threatened. What a terrible time they had.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hazel, It has been a good week to be productive. I've been spending as much time as possible in the garden and have the aches and pains to prove it. My body always objects when I switch over from indoor winter laziness to outdoor hard labor.

This week I'm paying the price for abandoning the garden last summer/fall to work on the kitchen remodel. All around the edges of the garden, persistent pain-in-the-neck plants crept into the garden despite the heavy mulch, so I've been digging out lots of bermuda and Johnson grass. It takes forever, but I'm determined to dig up all I can find and get it out of there before it can make headway and take back more garden space. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the front garden and ought to have it back under full control in another week. Then I'll tackle the back garden. I guess digging out weedy grasses is a good way to kill time when most of the cool-season plants and seeds already are planted and it is still too cold to plant the warm-season ones.

I am going to buy heavy clear plastic to solarize the area east of the garden where I want to expand it to make up for the northern and western areas that are getting too shady. I'd rather solarize for the entire warm growing season than rototill and dig out roots and go through all that this Spring. It is awful clay there which is why we haven't expanded eastward before now, and I'm dreading all the work it will take to turn it into good soil, but we started out with bad soil in 1999 and have made a lot of progress with the soil since then, so now we'll just start over with that process in a new area.

Nancy, The worms will come. We had precious few in our early years but just kept working on the soil, and before we knew it, we had earthworms everywhere. This year there's a huge number of them. I don't know if there's more than usual, or if they are just more active earlier than usual since it has been so warm overall. When I want to attract earthworms to a new garden plot, I just put down cardboard and pile mulch over it. Earthworms love to eat cardboard and turn it into worm castings, so worms always show up soon after cardboard. I don't even know how they find it and know it is there, but they do.

I love hugelkultur as a concept. It improves soil like nothing else. Many hugelkultur piles are built high above the ground in order to allow for the fact that the wood will rot and the level of the bed will fall. That is one thing I can't do because if the hugelkultur material is above ground in a mound-like shape, the rodents and snakes move in. I guess that is one of the hazards of living so close to the wild land alongside the Red River---wildlife is too abundant. So, when I build hugelkultur beds, I dig out a trench and bury 100% of the hugelkultur material. It means I have to keep adding more compostable material on top of the beds as the wood rots, but I don't care. I just pile on the mulch really thick and deep and let it decompose in place. We have a great many timber rattlers here (and their venom is very, very bad) and they come out of the woods and head for the garden, so I have to be careful that I'm not creating anything that makes the garden more attractive to them than it already is. While we also have plenty of copperheads, diamondback rattlers and pygmy rattlers, it is the timber rattlers that are the worst garden problem, followed by the copperheads. Generally I only see diamondback rattlers along the creek banks and pygmy rattlers in the woods. Water moccasins aren't a problem around the house ever since we removed the lily pond after the water moccasins moved to it in drought when the ponds and creeks dried up. I miss my lily pond, but having water moccasins in it eating the frogs made it too much of a hazard to keep.

Sometimes I think about how much easier gardening would be if we lived in more of a city area where the wildlife is not so abundant, but I do love living in the country and never intend to leave. I just have to be a lot more careful. All my friends here are amazed I've never been bitten by a venomous snake considering how much time I spend outdoors and how many snakes we have here. I am grateful it hasn't happened yet, and won't be shocked if my luck runs out one day. I know how many close calls I've had, and I, too, am amazed that a snake hasn't bitten me yet. There's been at least two occasions when I was so close to a venomous snake that I can't even explain why I didn't get bitten, but I'm thankful it didn't happen. I'd build tons of hugelkultur mounds everywhere if I didn't have to worry about snakes crawling into their nooks and crannies. As it is, I have snakes in the compost piles all the time, so my actual compost piles never get turned once in the warm season because I don't want to stir up the snakes. I don't even want to see the snakes, and I'm careful to only load/unload compost nowadays with a compost scoop or shovel. I used to wear leather gloves and use my hands to lift compost from the wheelbarrow and drop it onto garden beds, but picking up a snake (non-venomous, but still.....) one day broke me of that habit.

Most people here in my area (and by most, I guess I mean everyone but us) piles up brush and downed trees and burn them. We don't. We just find a place on the edge of the woods far from the house and make huge brush piles as if we were going to burn them, and then we never burn. We just let them sit there and decompose. I've done the same thing to fill in eroded areas where rain runoff has cut ravines and gullies. I just fill them in with brush and let it decompose in place. Add more to that year after year and the materials decompose and fill in the eroded areas gradually and then plants grow in the enriched soil and you stop the runoff from carrying off topsoil. It is a long, slow process, but we have healed a lot of badly eroded areas that way. It is sort of like building a hugelkultur for Mother Nature. After enough of the woody material breaks down, you end up with nice rich soil that supports native plants. Long before you even get the growth of the new plants, the piles of brush themselves hold the soil in place and stop the soil erosion almost right away.

I'd rather be outside working than inside any and every day of the week. For a very long time, Tim worked evenings so I didn't even have to stop working outside until dark since I was the only one home. I was happy if dinner was just a bowl of cereal or a cold sandwich. Eventually he moved to day shift and I had to adjust to having someone coming home at night and expecting an actual home-cooked meal each night. It was really, really hard for me to drag myself into the house before dark, but I learned ways to work around it---the slow cooker, for instance, or cooking only every other day and making enough dinner to last two days, even though Tim is not a huge fan of leftovers. He still works days now and is unlikely ever to work nights again, but his workday is much longer, it seems, since his last promotion, so I still can work outdoors until almost dark, at least at this time of the year and still make it inside and cook dinner before he arrives home well after dark. During the height of the canning season, I generally don't stop canning just to cook dinner though. Either he brings home dinner or we eat leftovers or something that is easy to microwave. Usually after a long day of canning I am too hot and too tired to eat anything anyway, and he knows that and respects that because he does understand the amount of work that goes on in the kitchen during a full day of canning.

The one things that having venomous snakes will do for you is that it will train you to get out of the garden and get the garden gate closed and latched before the snakes come out in the evenings. Our snakes use the gravel driveway like a snake highway and I need to be out of the driveway before they come out. I don't want to walk up the driveway to the house in the dark for sure. Some of my scariest snake encounters have been right there in the driveway, especially near the garden gate. It sort of makes me laugh to think that the snakes use the entrance gate area if they can, but it is true. We have 1" chicken wire fencing attached to the lower 2' of the garden's woven wire fencing in order to keep out the baby bunnies, and the snakes sometimes get hung up in that chicken wire, so they prefer to enter/exit through the gate area.

Kim, I saw a news story on Facebook about the Tulia fire. My niece, who lives near Abilene, linked the story so of course I had to click on the story and read it. What an awful fire that was! It has been a long time since we've had a fire that large here and I'm grateful for that. Even though we're greening up early here, we haven't greened up enough yet to significantly lower the fire risk. At least a couple of fire departments are out daily fighting fires, but we haven't had a fire ourselves since last Saturday when we had a string of fires along I-35 that briefly threatened at least one home....and made a lot of people really nervous for an hour or two. I've been enjoying the quiet week and getting a lot done, but don't expect the quiet spell will last.

I'm glad your greenhouse held up in the wind. With a new greenhouse, you never know at first how it is going to do in wind until you actually have that strong wind occur, so it is good that it seems like it can tolerate your west Texas wind. I've never yet seen a greenhouse here go airborne, but with some of the small ones that aren't anchored to the ground, I imagine it probably could happen.

Dawn

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting