SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joy_liu63

(May 2017) Sowing Columbie/Aquilegia seeds: Is it too late now?

Cynthia Wu
7 years ago

I'm a total beginner in gardening. I bought a pack of perennial long spurred Columbine seeds at my local Canadian Tire. I was planning to start them in Jiffy peat pellets.

However, some research, I've discovered that you a) Direct sow in autumn/winter, or b) Start indoors: Sow seeds in flats of moistened, sterilized seed starting mix, and place these inside plastic bags in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. https://www.westcoastseeds.com/how-to-grow-guides/grow-columbine/ Apparently germination takes 30-90 days!

So, I didn't really have any idea what kind of flower seeds I was buying. That's how much of a beginner I am right now, I literally just picked up some packs of seeds at Canadian Tire, then did research. I just need confirmation that I should not try to sow Columbine right now (end of April, call it May) and wait until next year. FYI, I live in Ottawa, Ontario.

Also, do flower seeds expire? I bought them this month, so if I waited to sow them in November, is there a chance of a lower germination rate? Do flower seeds "expire" (rookie question)?

The seeds I bought:

So if anyone has any advice on whether I should wait till November to sow them, and if flower seeds can "expire", that would be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)