SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gianapatel

Overgrown Agave Attenuata - Need replanting help!

G P
7 years ago

Hi there,

About 8 years ago we transported two Agave Attenuata plants in plastic-based carry bags, they were placed next to our new house, and no one has touched them since. I am planning to replant them, take them out of the bags (poor plants! so resilient), and spacing them nicely along the same area with a nice amount of soil this time. The roots/main plant base won't (in theory) be in any soil, just those bags.

Needing advice because there's now about 10 to 15 heads, biggest about 3 ft across (at a guess), and moving the whole lump will be hard (or at least a no-turning-back situation). One has a really long trunk (some roots visible on the surface), the others are all bunched together and a mix of sizes (can't even get a good look in there there's so many!)

So, how do I approach this? I am thinking I might need to just cut lots of heads off, maybe the big long trunk too, and replant them all like that, giving them space as well as good soil. Just want to do this in a safe way for the plant (although can afford to lose some of the heads).

Based in the north island of New Zealand, fairly mild climate, never too hot or cold, decent amount of rain, plenty of sunlight in the planting location.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

(The whole plant mass)

(Longest trunk and head)

(The bag :( )

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations