SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Aristolochia fimbriata - white veined dutchmen's vines

Mary Leek
7 years ago

Normally, I would have tacked this on to Sherry's post with the little pipevine cats playing follow the leader but after the question about post Etiquette, I had second thoughts. I know I have done this numerous times and if I've ever offended anyone, please forgive me. I've always thought of the posts as conversation threads and hadn't given it much thought before the question was posed. Sherry has taught me so much about butterflies and moths, what plants to grow and odd tidbits about their personalities, not to mention the wonderful photos she shares. Her posts almost always bring to mind something about raising butterflies.

... just wanted to share the following.

Of all the
butterflies, the Pipevine seem to stick around their birth site. I think Sherry taught me to watch for this behavior. Isn't it something how these small
insects have personal traits. The one year I raised a family of these little
guys, it set me up to enjoy them all summer long. I could go outside anytime
during daylight hours and enjoy their fluttering all around the old fashioned
pentas, their favorite nectar plant at my house. I had pots of this plant on
the deck so I always had a close up view of these little beauties.

Just look at what
these little guys, as hungry cats, can do to the white veined dutchmens vines! The year I had so many around was a
wonderful year ... had babies everywhere. The Aristolochia
tomentosa aka wooly pipevine grows on an 8 ft trellis just to the left,
so they had another source of food but they do love the tender leaves of the little
Aristolochia fimbriata vines. In my zone, they are perennial and are grown in dappled sunlight.

in better days ...

after the feast ... :-)

Mary

Comments (14)

Sponsored