SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Anyone ever grow Aristolochia durior x elegans?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

HI,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this post, but my impression is that a lot of people here grow Aristolochias. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Other possibilities that come to mind would be the Vines forum and/or the Tropicals forum. My impression is that there are a number of Passiflora growers with an interest in Aristolochias as well as a few who grow carnivorous plants. They are awfully cool plants...

I bought a 1 gallon plant labeled Aristolochia durior x elegans at UC Botanical Garden in Berkeley for $18. I had seen the plant at least a couple years ago listed on their online site, and discussions with people at the Garden suggested that it has been around at least a few years. I'm trying to reach a friend who will likely have more details.

I am intrigued by this plant because it offers at least the possibility of a large-flowered "tropical" (or subtropical) Aristolochia, potentially with greater hardiness. Aristolochia durior is native to North America and typically described as zone 4. Aristolochia elegans is a native of Brazil, zone 9 or 9b, perhaps returning form the roots in zone 8.

My biggest question is whether anyone has tried this hybrid in a cold winter climate?

Here's a photo of the plant and the tag that came with it:

{{gwi:550052}}

{{gwi:550053}}

I have to say I was surprised to hear that 8 inch flowers--much larger than either parent--could come out of this cross. I was also struck by the white spotting on the leaves:

{{gwi:550054}}

As far as I'm aware, the white "flecks" are characteristic of Aristolochia gigantea, and not of Aristolochia elegans. I'm also aware that the two species are closely enough related that it might be possible to consider A. gigantea simply a variety of A. elegans, although I do not know if it has been classified that way. However, if A. gigantea rather than the plant usually referred to as A. elegans, were a parent, it would account for the size of the flowers that is described, as well as the leaf coloration/patterning.

I don't have a picture of mine in bloom yet, but I did find a photo of one online. Superficially it seems to more closely resemble the Aristolochia elegans (or gigantea) parent. The description says it also originated from UCBG. See link at bottom.

I'm curious if people in cold climates can see what the hardiness is. Even if it's been "tried" I find it hard to believe it's been done exhaustively. It's too late in the season for that this year, though. I might try a couple cuttings soon, and hopefully a lot more in the Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of a flower of A. durior x elegans I found online

Comments (9)

Sponsored