SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

In love with loropetalum - are they doomed in my zone?

I have been searching for shrubs that will provide year-round interest and a color other than green, and I have fallen in love with loropetalum. I've been reading all sorts of threads here, though, and most of the loropetalum owners in my zone end up with dead or damaged shrubs on their hands after especially severe winters. I have read that certain varieties, such as Burgundy Blast, ZhuZhou, Cherry Blast, Garnet Fire, Crimson Fire, Purple Pixie and Purple Diamond may be hardier than others, but I know some of these are new and not well-tested.

Anyway, the likeliest spot for a loropetalum in my landscape would be in this photo, which is on the south side of my house. We may widen this bed a bit, although we only have about 10' of yard to play with, so I'd be looking at a more compact or dwarf variety. The neighboring house is quite close (within 20 feet), so the shrub would be well-protected from wind but not in as much sun as it might like. What do you think the survival chances might be? Or can you suggest something equally colorful that might work? I'm also considering nandina and smoke bush (although I think smoke bush is deciduous). Thanks!

Comments (19)