SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

Why do some of my roses abort buds and refuse to grow?

Some of my roses just won't grow. We had a warm spell in February and all of my roses started to leaf out. Then it got cold again, and some of them were slightly damaged, with fried edges on some of the new leaves. Then they just stopped growing. I assumed it was due to the frost damage. But the weather has warmed up in the last few weeks (70-80's for the highs, and 40's for the lows), but a number of my roses just won't grow any more. What's more is that the flower buds that formed dried and fell off. I thought it was due to the frost damage, but now I'm not so sure.

Here's Bishop's Castle with an aborted bud.

First Crush with stagnant growth:

Tranquility with stagnant growth (it's been at this same stage for a month):

Worst of all is Madame Alfred Carriere, which as a cutting grew fine last fall, then went dormant for the winter and now just grows tiny leaves which dry up. I tried more sun, less sun, just morning sun, more water, some fertilizer, but nothing. It's tried to put out leaves about 3 times now, and the get to this size (about 3 mm) then dry up.

The roses on the sunnier part of the yard seem worse, but First Crush is in part shade. Roses not affected are Iceberg, Old Blush, Evelyn, Pure Perfume, Alnwick Castle, Munstead Wood. The rest are affected to varying degrees.
Any ideas?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County