SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh__s

Cutting my ming aralia to keep it alive - advice needed

josh__s
7 years ago

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on how to cut this ming aralia. I've lost most branches off the main large tall stem and I'm not an expert
but pretty sure I need to chop the main stem down to save it. The only foliage left on the main stem is the piece you see at the top. I would
also like to grow the plant outward more.Where would I chop this thing? I've been told at the base however also have been advised to cut it higher and that might spur new growth out of the main stem. What's the process?

Is it possible to replant the stem after chopping it (perhaps beside the existing plant to grow together)?

It kind of seems like this large stem is taking all the energy from the rest of the plant, as the other areas seem to be struggling again recently.

A bit of background on this plant: I've had it for around 12 years or so, from 5in high to now. Throughout most of it's life, the plant seemed healthy, growing tall, full and bountiful with many branches. However around a year and a half ago it started shedding significantly (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3679859/help-with-beloved-ming-aralia?n=12). Now the plant is around 10% of what it was in terms of branches. However it is very tall. It seems to die off, then grow a bit, then die off again... recently mostly dying. I repotted it a month or two back, afterwhich it sprouted 5 or so new branches, however has since been on the decline.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers...

Comment

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz