SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alithompson

need help for my new farmhouse

Ali
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Good afternoon! I am a newbie so I hope that I am posing this question in the correct forum. We recently moved into a newly built "farmhouse" type home. We live out on some acreage and have animals, tree swings, a large garden, etc.

Here goes: My house faces the south and we are in Zone 7. I would like to plant hydrangeas, lilacs, gardenias, a cutting flower/herb garden and other plants that would be seen at a country house. My concern is that the hydrangeas would not do well in the hot sun. Do you think that the dwarf Cityline Paris or dwarf limelight hydrangea would tolerate full sun, if I planted them on the east side of the house along the brick retaining wall and also near the northeastern corner of the house? Also, what should I plant along the front porch? I would love to plant dwarf Azaleas, but again worry that they wouldn't do well on the front of the house getting so much sun. Some varieties that came up in a search for sun-tolerating azaleas are the The porch stands just under 2', so it would have to be dwarf so it doesn't hide the porch. We have no other trees near the house to filter the sun but do plan on planting some soon. How can I incorporate some lilacs in the yard? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)