SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

My new farmhouse table!

worldmom
13 years ago

I had some money squirreled away to buy a new dining table for our family once our kitchen remodel was done. I was planning on a farmhouse table of some sort, and I really liked the ones that Restoration Hardware has currently.

Unfortunately, when we decided to spring for new wood casement windows for our kitchen remodel, the money had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere was our table fund.

Since we're a family of 14 and haven't fit around one table in a few years, having a BIG dining table was still really important to me, especially for when the kitchen/dining reno is done. I decided to ask my dad to help me recreate one of the simpler RH tables (which, incidentally, would run over $3000 with shipping!)

From Last Import

My dad agreed to help me, and for a fraction of the cost of the RH table, we built one ourselves. Of course, mine is not made from fabulous reclaimed English pine (it's white oak), but I'm very happy with it and can't wait to see it at home in my dining room. :o)

Here's an in-process pic:

From Last Import

And here is an almost finished pic. I'm waiting on 4 brackets I ordered to help support the breadboard ends (my hubby and daughter are holding up the ends in this photo), and then I will be able to stain it. I'm debating between trying to recreate the look of the RH table or applying a darker stain, so I plan to experiment quite a bit on scrap pieces.

From Last Import

I'm thrilled with the table but especially grateful for the time I got to spend with my dad. This table will always mean far more to me than something I could have purchased. Now to decide which of my 12 kids will get it when I croak! ;o)

Comments (44)