SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trashcanman

Why does my hood drip?

Michael Lamb
7 years ago

I recently had my kitchen remodeled last October, and had a chimney style hood(GE Profile, 350 cfm, with a glass baffle) put in that vents to the outside, the run is probably about 6ft. Before I just had a thin cheap recirculating hood installed under the cabinets. I really like the look and lighting on the hood, but it collects oil like crazy! It has a thin mesh panel filter with several layers, and after using it a few times I will see a drop of oil that will form on the bottom side of the filter, and may eventually drip down onto the stove surface.

We do cook alot and sear things with oil in a cast iron skillet, but no deep frying. If I take the filter off, I can actually look up inside the hood and see where oil has condensed on the bottom of the blower motor housing. Every other week I take a paper towel and wipe all the oil off up in there that I can. Is this sort of thing to be expected with a hood with a mesh filter? I have taken the filter and cleaned it with boiling hot water, dawn, and baking soda and that gets it really clean. I need to do that about once a month. But I still get the drips?

Comments (9)