SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myneighbortotoro

Which sink and material for my 80's kitchen?

Condo Home
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have been lurking on the gardenweb forum for years and I finally made an account so I can ask for assistance.

I need to replace the kitchen faucet in my late 80's condo and I might as well replace the scratched sink while I am at it. It is an almond color enamel over cast iron sink and it has a stainless steel strip around the edges. I can't find anything like it now. I have almond-ish laminate counters and I would like the replacement sink to blend in, so I was thinking almond or bisque would look best, but I am having a hard time finding one that meets my needs.

The biggest question I have is I which material I should use: acrylic, enameled cast iron, granite composite, stainless steel? I might remodel the kitchen down the road, so I would prefer not to spend a lot of money on the sink. I am tempted to buy a very affordable acrylic sink but I wonder if acrylic scratches badly. I only have experience with stainless steel and my current enamel over cast iron, which looks horribly scratched after almost 30 years of use. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense pay a plumber to install a sink that won't look good in a short amount of time.

I need a 33" x 22" sink (or one a little wider would work because the plumber says he can cut through the laminate top), but the plumber said not to get one that is too deep because my counters are not as high as newer ones and I need room for the garbage disposal.

I want a single handle faucet and a separate sprayer, and I will need a hole for that thing for the dishwasher (I don't know what it is called). So it looks like I either need 3 holes, or if I go with a faucet with a plate that covers 3 holes, I'll need 5. But I haven't seen any sinks with 5 holes. My current faucet has a plate that covers 3 holes total if you count the sprayer, but the far right hole actually has a cut out in the faucet plate that holds the sprayer. Kind of like this one, which I don't really love the looks of:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Camerist-Single-Handle-Side-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet-with-Spray-in-Chrome-7835/100412083?

Thanks for reading, if you have made it this far. I know that this forum usually deals with high-end kitchens, but I am hoping that maybe someone will have advice for me.

Comments (12)