SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kazmom1

Changed layout, feedback wanted, buying cabinets this week!

kazmom
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

First, thanks to Mamagoose and buehl and others for suggestions on my last layout. I decided to bite the bullet on the prep sink to get the stove on a different wall. I would love feedback as I have to finalize by Tuesday and buy cabinets this week.

I eliminated some uppers to save some extra $. I will have plenty of storage with this layout, more than we had at the old house, so I am good with that. I would have rather had the wall without the cabinets on the window side but that doesn't give me easy space for cups by the dishwasher (don't want them on shelves), so I went with the stove wall.

Overall, how does the layout work?

* I have separate prep and clean up areas and a secondary prep area, about 44" between the prep sink and the stove.

* I know the distance to the fridge is a bit of a hike but the kitchen isn't that big overall so I think it will be fine (feel free to disagree!).

* By the fridge I am thinking of doing a deeper base cabinet if the wall cabinet with the microwave shelf is deeper, that will give a little more counter landing space by the fridge and microwave. Is this an issue with Fridge clearance if we go with a French door fridge in the future? That is what I want when the time comes to replace this one.

* I had to go a 1 1/2" closer to the window on one side, which isn't ideal, but it lets me use two cabinets I already own there, although I will have to buy a new door for one because one 24" cabinet has a single door and one has a double, which would look odd on opposite sides of the window. We may actually be able to just go closer to the door frame here, but I am not sure till I talk to the GC Tuesday.

Also, is 42" enough on each side of the corner pantry for walk in? Most of the measurements I have seen say 48, and I know I will lose some of the 42" to framing

I have marked the cabinets I have and are reusing and the new ones. I can change any new ones. I also have one 15" 3drawer base left that I didn't use and can put in the laundry room, or here if someone sees the space.

I have attached the proposed layout, current layout and floor plan. Limitations are sink stays, "have" cabinets get used, window stays and a door stays (changing from slider to single). No major wall changes except removing wall to dining room. No new appliances except maybe microwave if a different size makes more sense.

Thanks for your help!

Comment (1)