SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

April is the cruelest month.

I'm going crazy here. We have a freeze warning for tonight. We have lovely new growth and buds on everything. I put 8 chairs over the smallest plants with a burlap bag over each chair. I need a pint of Hagen Daaz, but don't have any. I am going to watch Midsomer Murder to try to distract myself. My husband would help, but what can we do? First the wind, then frost. Will it never end?

Comments (33)

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Oh Sheila that really stinks! I'm so sorry! Your garden is so beautiful though and I know it will come through... just later than any of us want. I can't wait to see your photos in the late spring and early summer. Maybe it's my turn to remind you to think about the strong root systems that are developing?

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

I am right here with you Sheila

What a crazy April

I have new minis from For Love of Roses that I potted in smallish pots

I have them in a huge cardboard box for protection and all my new bare root roses that have new delicate growth have upside down pots over them. Good grief. Crazy weather.

And I actually bought some Hazen Daz lol.

Here's to better, less windy, less rainy, less freezing nights.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Related Discussions

April 1, 2009

Q

Comments (4)
    Learnt how to pronounce that first passage in proper middle english when I took Medieval Literature. Chaucer is a hoot, as well as the language that we supposedly speak. Wonder where the lingual shifts will take us in another 500 hundred years.
    ...See More

Sacramento Historic Rose Garden Open Garden

Q

Comments (28)
    I'd love to hear the news and see the pictures too, Paula. I honestly have no idea how the day went! When you are putting on an event, and leading tours, the day goes by much too quickly. I took not a single photo, and hope that folks who did come are willing to share. I saw Daun, and Michael AT, and several of the Vintage friends, so folks certainly turned out. If Aprille was here, I didn't get to meet her. From my perspective, it was a great day, although it was quite hot. The roses loved it, and many opened obligingly throughout the day. Many people bought roses, and I think that we are set with enough money in the budget for another year's operations. Heartfelt thanks to everybody who came to help (Jeri and Clay for the great catalog, especially) and everyone who came for a lovely day. The folks who stayed overnight are planning to meet up tomorrow morning for just a little more time in the cemetery. It's hard to tear away... Anita
    ...See More

Wisteria Buds Breaking?

Q

Comments (13)
    This has been a strange Spring. The days are warm enough to expect shrubs and perennials to be breaking dormancy, but very few are. I just made my garden tour "inspection" this afternoon and found tiny leaves swelling on my roses, lilacs, and hydrangeas, but the fruit trees are still sleeping. Half my newly planted rhododendrons and Blue Prince Holly look as if they didn't survive the winter, but my wisteria does have some swollen buds. Two of my six peonies have tiny red shoots piercing through the surface. The poison ivy, on the other hand, is bursting through the soil. April is indeed the cruelest month!
    ...See More

'April is the cruelest month' ...

Q

Comments (1)
    Earlier this week, I had a really strong desire to remove mulch from some of my flower gardens, luckily I resisted the urge...this morning I shoveled about two inches of heavy GUCK off my sidewalk, just to get to my car without falling. In like a lion, out like a lion???
    ...See More
  • Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

'Midsomer Murders' should help, though maybe not as much as ice cream AND 'MM' would...

Fingers crossed that you won't have any real damage.

Virginia

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Vicissitudezz
  • kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Oh no! Be nice, April!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked kittymoonbeam
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Would bed sheets help? I'm so sorry, what a bummer. Please let us know how your roses fared.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm worried I'd break brittle new growth and do more damage if I tried more protection. I'm hoping wind doesn't come up and tip the draped chairs over too. Thank god I wasn't this bad with the children. There, I was more survival of the fittest.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

Chuckling in recognition here, Sheila. Miserable about your weather.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Sending my hopes and wishes! What a winter-spring in OR, yes? I hope your precautions serve your budded plants well. Let us know how everything fares. I socked in with a Murdoch Mystery this eve. Carol

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Sheila, my neighbor, we're getting it, too. We had a blizzard this morning--I drove over the hills and into to town to meet a gardening friend and shop roses. At Edwards Nursery, we met other gardening fanatics, all of us turning white the minute we stepped outside of a greenhouse. But I still picked up a not needed Munstead Wood---my old one needs company, and an Apricot Drift, to add to a Rouge Royale, waiting for me in a greenhouse after all this crazy weather is over. I paid out for some pretty sounding new rose and pink penstemon (last week it was hardy geraniums). We hopped in the car after our puchases and proceeded to more garden centers. The mountains that surround us were shining white in the bright sun after the hours long storm ended, and that made it easier to deal with broken peonies and geraniums with snow dumped on them. We've already had a couple of surprise frosts a week ago. The first time, I covered poor Augusta Luise,now stubs leafing out, a little mound of leaves, with a cardboard box filled with towels. It didn't hurt her, but I decided to forego protection, and let the chips fall where they may, after that night. I don't want to check the temp just now. This winter was a disaster, the flooding continues, and now a blizzard in April, definitely not normal. Hang on Sheila, it's got to get better. Diane

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • User
    7 years ago

Best wishes to all! That sounds pretty bad. Here in Tuscany it is supposed to get very cold next week, with minimums close to freezing,but not as bad as what I'm reading here,I hope. Of course here things are wayyyyyy further along; the first roses are beginning to open,(it seems actually kind of early in the season for this). We need RAIN, not cold! Crazy weather...

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked User
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

How cold is it supposed to get? We had temps down to 24 a few weeks ago. Any buds I had were zapped, but other than that, there was little damage. I agree that attempting to cover everything can cause more damage than the cold. Make sure your roses are well hydrated before the freeze begins.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • altorama Ray
    7 years ago

I hope everyone's roses are ok. I'm worried about it happening here, I still remember a bad snowstorm that happened years ago in May.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked altorama Ray
    7 years ago

It looks like everything survived. Now let's be done with this craziness lol

7 years ago

Cori Anne, your roses already look fabulous, so far ahead of so. Oregon.

7 years ago

Well... as long as another windstorm doesn't come and rip all the buds off.

• User
    7 years ago

maybe you could cut the ones that are showing colour, if the weather does wind up being rough?

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thankfully, like Kristine, my garden seems to have survived the frost. It was about 30 degees F here. I think I have a bit of PTSD from the sad loss of Jesse Hildreth #1 last Spring and living cold, until the last 3 years. Now, I really have my hopes up, and I am so relieved the plants made it. I realize they will be less fragile once well established, and I will be grateful for that. Here, my worst looking plant right now maybe Souv d l Malmaison. It looked terrible last Spring, and really made a valiant comeback last Summer. I think it will probably be fine, but as Ingrid knows, it loves heat. We have not had that yet. The one year old Tea roses look surprisingly good, it spite of the horrible weather. Jesse #2 looks good. I am really impressed by them. In the long run, I realize if plants can't handle this Spring freeze thaw thing, they won't make it here. I think the snow branch breakage and the wind did the most damage. I don't know how I made it all those years in Minnesota/Alaska. Of course now I better get weeding instead of worrying about what I can't do anything about. I really appreciate all the support. I knew you all would understand. Of course, Hagen Daaz would have been nice too. Good luck to all you fellow rose lovers with your weather challenges. This has been a year.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

Great news that you came through it ok. 30 degrees is fine. You may get some strange looking blooms if there were buds forming with those temps, but the growth will be fine. I have to say after the cold snap, my roses have exploded with growth. We did have lots of rain and I did fertilize and put down alfalfa, but some of my roses are unrecognizable. I think because I've been dealing with newly planted roses for a few years, I forgot what mature roses can do. One issue I do have is an excess of yellow leaves, some with blackspot. I have been spraying, but I think that the cold snap damaged some leaves so they are just slowly dying. I have tons of buds and some are opening now. It's exciting. And dare I say we are past any idea of frost? No, I won't say it!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One comment more is that Maggie had a strong new basal freeze last night. Boo Hoo! Sadly I forgot the protection on that one. My Variegata di Bologna looks good. I think I have to focus next Spring on the two Bourbons, Souv d l M and Maggie. Hopefully they will be strong enough to withstand these Spring traumas. I'm also noting that these two might have been on colder parts of the property, where I sited the Tea garden backing up to a stucco wall on the South facing slope. I thought they might be the most fragile, but I think I was wrong.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

After a warm February we had some cold snaps, and many of my roses aborted their flower buds. I hope yours do better than mine.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I noted some buds froze off too noseometer. There is always next Spring, for the perfect Spring we all want!

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

You and your garden will persevere, Sheila! It's all live, learn and learn anew. You grow such an amazing array of roses, and I know the rewards will only increase in years to come. I lost a number of small potted perennials this winter, including a couple of rare Tricyrtis varieties and a baby Clematis. Next year, I'll make certain everything is in the ground by November! Sending Hagen Daaz in my thoughts! Carol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

At least the Teas will flower most of the year, I would think (they do here), so losing a flush now isn't so bad.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

After our blizzard Friday, it dropped to 26F by 1:30 AM, and I brought the plants hardening off on the patio inside, but I didn't protect anything that was in the ground. I'm past that. Luckily, no roses had buds to be ruined; in fact, I have some roses that still don't have leaves. That's how bad it's been here. Last year, my roses started blooming on May 1. It was my perfect spring in 2016. I will be so glad when this is all over. But everything survived the 26F, and all is well. Diane

Original Author
    7 years ago

So glad your rose season wasn't far enough along yet to be further damaged, Diane. Cori Ann had it bad when she got the horrible storm when the buds were ready to open. I'm hoping your season is late, but still wonderful.

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry, Sheila. That's hard. I hope your roses bounce back quickly and you're able to enjoy those blooms soon enough. After 6 weeks of unusually warm temps and my roses had mostly leafed out we were hit with 3 nights with temps in the mid to low 20s last month. Most faired well but Rouge Royal and SdlM died to the ground. They, surprisingly, survived the ordeal and are slowly inching up now. What we go through as gardeners!

Glad to hear your garden is okay, Diane. I almost hate asking because of your hard winter but any sign of Augusta Luise?

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Dave5bWY
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Thanks, Dave. Augusta is very short but popping out all over. Now I'm more worried about Jude the Obscure and Frederic Mistral. I have some Evelyns that aren't so great either. We had 30F Saturday night, and at 4:30 AM, I was putting non hardened off perennials in the garage. Supposedly, we are not having more cold nights for a while. We'll see. I'm getting a Rouge Royale, and it sounds like yours is a little cold sensitive. I'll keep that in mind for next year. Everyone have a great spring from now on! Diane

7 years ago

You too Diane! I'm really looking forward to your and Sheila's garden photos!

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Same to you, Diane and all! Hoping all the best for your post-freeze gardens. Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Thank you all. It can only get better. Just a shorter season. Diane

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

So glad to hear AL made it through the crazy winter. I really hoping Jude and your other struggling ones pull through as well. I hope you enjoy Rouge Royal. In your dry climate he'll do better than here where fungal diseases abound. Some mid afternoon shade, if possible, and he'll be one happy rose.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Dave5bWY
  • lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Sheila, I don't know how I missed this thread but sending virtual Hagen Daaz your way! Keep us posted on your SdlM. She fared the worst here with our unusual cold snap so I agree that she must like it warm.

Hope all is working out for Nanadoll, Cori Ann, Nose, and everybody else being weather-challenged!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked lavenderlacezone8
Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer