SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colonialremodel

Small oven in this kitchen layout?

7 years ago

I feel like I'm going round and round on some appliances the more I read. I'm struggling with the oven and microwave dilemma and would love some advice. I've requested that the microwave and oven are set into the wall instead of under counter and would like the microwave/steam/speed opening to basically function as my main oven - I want it to be smaller in height than the large one underneath.

My reasoning is that I want to be able to quickly glance in to see what's happening, I don't want to bend over all the time, and I want this main oven to be small in height because of how I use the oven. I also want it to double as a microwave. I'm not sure that a speed oven or steam oven or convection microwave will actually meet all those requirements - can any of them fit a normal size cookie sheet? I use the oven mostly for roasting veggies/fish, baking casseroles/bread, baking pizza. We eat heavily vegetarian so when I'm roasting veggies, the whole cookie sheet is full.

I had a Sharp convec MW in my last kitchen and rarely used it the convec function - it was kind of a pain and didn't seem to bake as well as my range oven. Plus, I couldn't fit a regular cookie sheet, which was a deal breaker for most oven usage for me. I also found the convec sound annoying and loud. It lasted 5-6 years and then had to be replaced.

Are there any options for a smaller oven that would work for what I need? My oven usage is pretty straight forward: baking and broiling. We're a family of 5 with 2 elementary age boys and a baby; I cook dinner 4-5/week, use the oven usually 1/week but microwave daily for reheating food or cooking oatmeal.

The kitchen design leaves room for a microwave, wall oven underneath with 2nd wall oven in island, but that seems like overkill to me when I don't use the oven that heavily.

THANK YOU!

Comments (2)