SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

How to hybridize zinnias -- it's easy.

zen_man
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am a zinnia hobbyist, and enjoy breeding my zinnias. If you have some zinnias, it is relatively easy to hybridize them yourself. The pollen florets (fuzzy yellow starfish) have the pollen, and the stigmas (Y-shaped tendrils) receive the pollen. (Click on these pictures to see larger versions of them.)

Each stigma has the potential for creating a zinnia seed if it is pollinated, by a bee, or by you. It is easy for you to "be the bee", because the reproductive parts of zinnias are relatively large and accessible.

There are several ways to transfer the pollen from Pollen Florets to Stigmas. One way is to use an artist's brush. Simply dip the brush into the pollen at the center of a newly opened pollen floret (they open in the morning -- the exact time depending on local weather conditions).

And then touch the brush to the stigma(s) that you want to pollinate.
Another way that I frequently use is to "pick" a Pollen Floret with Tweezers, Twissors, or Forceps and use it as a "brush",
Use the Pollen Floret as a brush to brush its pollen on the Stigmas that you wish to fertilize.
Incidentally, "Twissors" are a intermediate between scissors and tweezers, and are frequently sold in the cosmetics areas of drugstores primarily for plucking eyebrows. They also work well for grasping Pollen Florets.

A stigma will remain yelllow and receptive for a week to 10 days, so you have multiple opportunities to get it pollinated. When the Stigmas you have pollinated shrivel and die, they are no longer receptive, but that could mean that your pollination was successful and a seed is developing an embryo inside the seed at the base of the petal.

Remember which zinnias you have pollinated and save seeds from them. I don't depend on my memory, so I attach a label to the stem of the blooms that I pollinate.

Zinnia seeds are relatively large and easy to handle, so that is another advantage to working with them. I store my zinnia seeds in Ziploc snack size bags, along with a 3x5 card containing some information about the seeds.

If you have any questions or need clarifications about any of this, feel free to post them. Zinnias can be an enjoyable and inexpensive hobby. There are enough different zinnia varieties available that the number of different cross-pollinations that you could make is astronomical. And the possibilities of making hybridizations between your home hybrids are virtually unlimited.

I just want to emphasize that it is easy to hybridize your zinnias. And you never know what you will get when your home hybrids start to bloom for the first time. I still enjoy that first-bloom anticipation after countless times.

ZM (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned)

Comments (17)