SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_tracker

New garden, newbie gardener, drip irrigation, mulching...

We're starting up a garden this year, got a late start, but we're getting there. We've tinkered with small gardens through the years, but I would consider us rank newbies, still.

The ground has been a bahia hayfield/pasture for many years until probably ten to fifteen years ago when we took it in as part of our yard. We did a soil test (5.5pH) and added the recommended amount of lime. Fertilizing will be done at the last tilling prior to laying out the 3' wide beds/rows. Between now and then I've got to figure a fence out being as it looks like the deer community holds there bi-nightly square-dancing classes in the tilled area.<sigh>

During all of this I've been pondering setting up a drip-irrigation setup. South Alabama gets hot and dry at times. The last largish garden that we had was in 1999 when ponds dried up and the bottoms cracked open...not a good time.

The garden is a bit over 20'x50' in size. I'm planning on either four 3'x50' rows/beds or either breaking the rows in the middle for eight 3'x25' rows. We are going to try the basic southern vegetables, some beans, peas, tomatoes, melons, okra, cucumbers, collards, etc.,. I'm leaning towards the eight-row layout.

The soil structure is sandy with very few rocks...when tilling the soil and pulling grass I literally found only a couple of handfuls of rocks, broken bricks pieces, old iron objects, and white and clear broken glass in the 1000 square feet...I'm sure there's more I didn't find, but it's pretty clean. I'm not worried about rock cutting the irrigation tape but I am a bit concerned about UV degradation. Being in the deep south and with sandy soil am I correct in thinking that I need a close emitter spacing?

I would like something somewhat permanent or at least that would give me a few years of service. So far I'm liking the Super Garden Kit from Berryhill . The minimum spacing that I'm seeing is 8" with this kit (Toro brand, it looks like), but it appears to come in 12mil rather than 15mil like the 12" tape comes in. I've sent an email to Berryhill to see if it is possible to get 15mil/8" tape in the kit.

(Continued...)

Comments (11)