SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

NEWBIE: new house, estb'd garden: what do they need to know

this idea for this topic .. came from a post in the name that plant forum ... i thought that was a brilliant place to start ... learning what they are ...

but they added.. first home.. and never had a yard/garden before...

and it got me thinking... with such a blank palette [meaning knowledge, not planting a NEW garden ..] ... what do they need to learn.. and learn fast ...

and the first thought that came to my mind ... beyond what is a weed and what isnt ... was WATERING ... and its corollaries mulch and tools ...

watering is an art .. not a science.. its all dependent on your soil.. and how water moves thru it ... and that means.. that NO ONE BUT YOU ... can figure out how and when to water it ... no one can say.. with any certainty.. every three days... nor for 3 hours.. etc ... you may eventually figure out a schedule for your soil... but no one else can tell you ...

watering involves providing water thru the whole root mass ... so it isnt a pistol grip.. i wet the leaves every night thing ... to facilitate such ... a watering wand can be very helpful ... with an on/off .... helps you puddle water.. which can really soak in ...

if you perfect watering .... EVERYTHING will live ... including weeds...

so a corollary to watering.. is mulching ... and i will add my thoughts on that during the next episode [when the meds wear off.. lol ... see what i did there ] ....

so lets start.. with some insight into how you water .. tell us what you soil is ... how you get it to soak in ... etc .... what tool you use.. and what hose.. and why ... [i prefer ... carp.. i blanked ... flexogen hose ... the cost is double ... but i have had some of mine going on 20 years ... versus.. buying a new one every other years due to quality]

ken

ps: a great place to start... to learn your soil.. is to 'perk' it ... anyone care to tell us about that ... in layman's terms .... dont go all science on us... lol ... make it easy for the newb ... their head is already spinning ...

pps: and if your yard is 75 feet deep .. do NOT buy a 100 foot hose... first.. you can barely move the thing full of water ... and it gives you no option ... a 50 and two 25 footers ... give you all kinds of options ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (6)